General Motors

2.8

90 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

GM has outsourced the candidate screening process and HR is still ironing out the bugs. The interview preparation instructions stated to record the responses to questions. HR was unsure of what to instruct candidates to bring a video or a typed presentation. The interviews were one hour sessions with the Global Program Manager and the Engineering Manager. The questions were STAR format behavioral focused.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a situation where a team member chooses not to participate in meetings?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

1) Applied online
    2) received a request for a phone screen by GM talent(less than 1 hr notice)
    3) after screening **they go over basic background information, salary you want, etc
    4) now your resume is available to groups in GM that are hiring
    5) wait on a interview request
    6) did a face to face as expected it was a behavioral interview about 4 questions with 2 examples of each they are basic behavioral ie) tell me about a time you were given a task without the proper tools, worse job experience, handle time management, tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict at work.
    7) went over job experience
    8) they go over the position
    9) ask questions then end of interview

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to have to give a follow up examples.   View Answer

Purchasing Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

30 minute phone interview- asked about my former job duties and why did I leave. Asked if I had worked for GM before; why would I want to work there; what do I under about the job that I applied for and what do I think about GM. After the phone interview they send your resume off to the hiring manager to see if he would want to interview you.

DFMEA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

interviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

The position needed to be filled as soon as possible- So, the process from submitting my resume to being called for an interview took less than a week. 1 phone screening interview and 1 in person interview. Very casual and laid-back interview and interviewers (as the job requires open communication extensively).

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions whatsoever. In fact, only one question was addressed: How would you handle a team member not willing to put an effort into the work/progress of the team.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in July 2014.

Called by a recruiter to set up interview. Then onsite interview with senior and manager. They asked behavioral questions as well as a couple technical questions regarding the position. They will not send a regret candidate email. If you don't hear from them within a month then move on.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had difficulty working with someone   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I was a freshman at the time and they hired me simply based off my resume, no hard questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time you experienced a challenge and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Several Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Pleasant interviewers (4 in two sessions) but they read questions prepared by a consulting/testing company that usually causes qualified candidates to be rejected. Same stubborn, muleheaded company that went bankrupt before.

Interview Questions
    • If you told a lie and were called on it, how would you react?   View Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

It was only a phone interview and they wanted me to relocate I decided not to persue but the interview went well and was professional

Operations Research Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors.

I applied through the INFORMS Career website. I was first interviewed by two Operations Research Directors and then I had an HR phone interview asking HR-related questions. Then there was a full day on-site interview, and that included 2 STAR interviews, technical interview, seminar. In the STAR interviews, I got two choose one from two questions for every question. Each STAR interview was about 1 hour. The technical seminar/presentation had a lot of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Some STAR questions are difficult to answer unless prepared in advance.   View Answer

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Use of the Lominger Competencies. Interviews are done by mid-level mangers with a scripted interview guide available to applicants. The process is a bit lengthy and relies on the interviewee to answer questions starting with, "Tell us about a time when you.....". Some find this very difficult, especially if you have limited to no work experience. Everything is scored, lots of notes are taken, and you are interviewed by two sets of people who compare notes afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time wen you were given ambiguous direction by your supervisor and what you did to accomplish the task.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate but was not well-versed in it. Recommend learning how to negotiate salary.