General Motors Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Senior Treasury Analyst Detroit Michigan Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors (New York, NY).

Interview

General Motors is moving its treasury department from NY to Detroit. Since this announcement, GM has lost over 50% of its treasury staff as most of them have families in NY and do not want to move to Detroit , MI.

GM's strategy now is to hire locally i.e. from in and around Detroit.

The interview process was very quick.

I applied online and got a un-scheduled call from GM HR in 2-3 days later.

Next there was a telephone interview with a Treasury Manager ,NY.

Thereafter, I received an invitation to interview in NY.

GM flies you in a night earlier and arranges for the airfare and the hotel stay. You can claim incidentals via an expense report that you submit after your interview.

There were 9 of us at the interview. Out of the 9 , there were 5 who were clearly between 40-45 yrs old or older. The other 4 were in the late 20's early 30's. I did not get a chance to talk to all of them but it appeared that the ones who were in their 40's were either unemployed or underemployed. All but 1 was either from Detroit or grew up in Detroit before moving out after college.

We were given a case study to be solved in 1hr 30 mins. You had to write out a memo and create a NPV spreadsheet.Thereafter, you interviewed with 3 managers and presented the case to the 4th manager.

The process began at 8.00 am and ended by noon.

There was 1 candidate who knew another candidate who had been hired approx a month before. From the candidates talk , it appeared that the case study was the same.

For this position , GM is not looking to train any one on the job. They are looking for candidates who are highly experienced.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected questions but some quirky ones : Why does a Tuxedo rent less than a rental car? Which car would you buy with $ 50,000 (does not have to be a GM car)   1 Answer

Fund Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

I met 4 persons on Day I of the interview - the CFO, and Directors in various capacities (Operations, Accounting etc.) and a consultant - They walked me through the structure and most of my questions were regarding the corporate culture - I got a sense that no attention has been paid to processes and there is very poor internal control. Also, there seemed to be a lot of confusion about the role of Corporate office (Detroit) in the post auto-companies meltdown of 2008-2009. I was not impressed at all by the company or excited about the prospects of working with the group. There seemed to be a big concern about the flow of information between the Investment team and the Accounting/Administration group with the former not bothering too much to communicate on a day to day basis relevant information. The role of TPAs (Third Party Administrators) and over reliance on them to provide accurate reporting and work was a major concern.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job?   1 Answer

Treasury Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

Back-to-Back interview with two recruiters. Both of them work in the treasury department. Interview was half technical and half fit. Asked how company choose their capital structure, how to choose the beta for the investment in another country, some other questions about fixed income as well. Fit questions include why GM, what recent news regarding the company etc. Overall quite tense.

Interview Questions

• How do companies determine capital structure   1 Answer