General Motors Interview Questions in Pontiac, MI

Updated Mar 5, 2015

2.5

Powertrain Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at General Motors in January 2015.

Very behavorial type questions. Had two parts of the interview and each one was one on one. Not intimidating at all, just need to have experiences where the questions apply. Everything was paid for, the hotel, the travel. I got a tour of the factory too, it was great. The people were very friendly.

Purchasing Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

30 minute phone interview- asked about my former job duties and why did I leave. Asked if I had worked for GM before; why would I want to work there; what do I under about the job that I applied for and what do I think about GM. After the phone interview they send your resume off to the hiring manager to see if he would want to interview you.

DFMEA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

interviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

The position needed to be filled as soon as possible- So, the process from submitting my resume to being called for an interview took less than a week. 1 phone screening interview and 1 in person interview. Very casual and laid-back interview and interviewers (as the job requires open communication extensively).

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions whatsoever. In fact, only one question was addressed: How would you handle a team member not willing to put an effort into the work/progress of the team.   Answer Question

Program Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Motors.

Process started with an HR interview via phone. From there, GM organized an in-person meeting with the hiring manager and another manager within that organization.

Interview Questions
    • Of the jobs listed on your resume, what was the worst one?   Answer Question

Associate Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in August 2013.

Applied online to the job posting. One week later I received a call with basic questions regarding availability, citizenship status and other similar questions. A week after that I received another call to schedule the interview. It was a two-part behavioral interview with two different managers for each part. A small test was performed to check my understanding of some of the basic functions of the position: GD&T tests with conflicting tolerances (trick question, but very simple).

It was my first interview. I think my answers were relatively good (maybe missing the WOW! factor). It was my first time using the STAR system used by many employers today for the interview process. It could have gone better.

Associate Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in August 2013.

Applied online. Received a pre-screening phone call 1 week later. 5 days later I received a phone call to set up an interview for the following week. My interview travel was arranged within a couple of days. The interview was 3 on 1, took approximately 2 & 1/2 hours. I sent a thank you letter the next day. 3 weeks after my interview I received a call offering the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to give your boss bad news?   View Answer
    Asked for negotiations, but denied. Offer is still good.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in July 2013.

Recieved a call from HR within a couple weeks of submitting resume. Recieved a call to come in for an interview shortly after that. The interview consisted of a half hour informational presentation and two one on one interviews conducted back to back. I really enjoyed the interview process. Be prepared to negotiate if they come back with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions. Very straight forward, nothing technical. Interviewers were very friendly. Entire interview process (including facility tour and lunch) was about 5 hours.   Answer Question

Recieved a better offer elsewhere and felt that GM was trying to see how cheap I would work

Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors.

I applied online for the position. a week later i got a phone interview. the day after i got an invitation for the interview via email. two hours interview, all the question were behavioral question and i had to follow the star technique.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were easy but you have to be specific in your answers   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors in April 2012.

Initially, I was contacted by a hiring manager and asked a series of background and employment eligibility questions. Later, I had two interviews with engineering managers in various groups. The interview questions were largely behavioral/situational in nature. I was offered a position the following week. Both a hiring manager and engineering group manager contacted me the same week.

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation where you made a decision that you later regretted.   View Answer

Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in February 2011.

Got a phone call that a manager had interest in my resume. The day off there was an orientation session and had two 1 on 1 interviews. Used the STAR system, which was tedious. However, the managers/interviewers were VERY friendly. They really seemed to enjoy their jobs, were happy talk to you about any questions or comments and gave very honest and straight forward answers. They took care of you from the beginning of the interview till you got out the door. Really enjoyed the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you chose not take action though there was pressure on you to do so.   Answer Question