General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.3

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The end to end process (first contact to hire) was about 6 months. The process overall was positive; however, it was very obvious that there's a lot of red tape the interviewers must follow. I personally wouldn't let the idea of red tape prevent you from applying - General Motors is going through a massive IT transformation... The tape will eventually need to be replaced with something much stronger.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mainly behavioral and experienced based.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

There was a series of 4 interviews over a 3 1/2 period. The first was with the initial recruiter. The second was with a team leader in the department. Third was a video conference with hiring manager and another senior person. Up to this point it's been the standard STAR questions that everybody else has reported. The fourth interview was similar to the 3rd but was over the phone and was much more technical. They asked about Java reflections, can you override a overloaded method etc. I don't remember anyone else describing a hard Java grilling. But obviously I didn't do well because the next day I got a rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you or someone on your team failed and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in April 2015.

Interview

I had two half-hour behavioral interviews on campus. It was a pretty relaxed setting with friendly people. Each interviewer had a set of questions to ask with no overlap. After these interviewers I also had the opportunity to speak with the lead recruiter and ask any other questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you attempted a solution to a problem that failed. How did you handle this failure?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Two round interview. The first is a recruiter. The second is the IT manager. Regular behavioral questions, some technique questions on Java and C, and asked to solve two algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the recent decision you made that you think was wrong, why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

2 interviews. One at ASU where I found the job. and the second in Chandler. Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do? Very nice office great benefits. 3000$ car credit. 3 weeks vacation time. good 401k plan tuition reimbursement after 3 years.

Interview Questions

• Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Fayetteville, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

I got an interview through my university career fair. The interview came about two weeks later and was pretty straight forward situational questions. Two interviews with two hiring managers. Received offer the same day.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to completely give or abandon a project or assignment.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Mine was a strictly behavioral interview on campus. I met with two software engineers or developers and went through a range of questions which I did not find difficult. You simply give examples of how you handle various situations. It is important to explain the process that you used in going about handling various situations. All in all, it was not too hard, and if you get to know the people sitting across from you, it all goes smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to solve a problem twice because you were wrong at first.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I was offered an On Campus interview which was mostly behavioral. The questions mostly tailored to different situations I had been in whether in school or the work place and how I handled the situations. The recruiter got in touch with me soon after my interview with more information about the process going forward. Overall, I had a very positive experience interviewing and working with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a peer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Company visited university and found my resume. Emailed me the night before for a morning interview. Then had another interview the next day. Total of two interviews, and both were done on campus. Predominantly behavioral. Don't know yet if I received the job, so tentatively saying no. Will update once they get back to me.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a project you worked on. When did you have to compromise when making a decision. What went wrong during the the project? How did you handle it? What lessons did you learn?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through Career Fair. They are basically looking for people with good CGPA and communication skills. All behavioral questions in the first round. Interview was on campus. The recruiter was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. It was a very positive experience. Waiting for the second round. Shall update once I'm done.

Interview Questions

• 1) Strength 2) Most difficult project ? 3) Risk you took ? 4) Project you approached incorrectly ? 5) Why GM ?   Answer Question