General Motors

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.4

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

First had phone interview which consisted of questions about my resume and some situational questions. Second, had an on campus interview which followed the before mentioned structure, but they went a little deeper.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a project where you approached it incorrectly. What did you do to correct it what was the outcome?   Answer Question
No negotiation really. I was quite happy with the starting salary. Eligible for raises every 6 mos.

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Took about 4 weeks. I got met GM at a career fair. They scheduled an interview for the same day. and they only asked behavioral questions. About a week later I received a call and they scheduled a phone screen. Again, only behavioral questions. Then I received another call from HR. They said they want to give me an offer and I could choose between 3 locations. I had to wait few weeks to actually get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What type of people you don't like to work with?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

The process was pretty simple. There was a career fair in my school. I approached the recruiters about more information, next thing I know I have an interview with them.

After the interview (which was purely behavior questions) - kind of normal for a first interview. I was told to wait for them to contact me.

About a week after I received an email from one of the recruiters letting me know that I have an interview at a particular time. I was not given a heads up or anything, so that was kind of frustrating.

During the interview they went over a power point, kind of trying to sell you on GM because lets face it as a graduating college students we all may get approached by different companies. Then we did a tour of the building, showing us where the magic happens and finally it was the interview.

The interview was all behavioral questions again - no technical questions, mainly because they put you through an intense training program once you get hired.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What was one wrong decision that you made in the past and what was the outcome?
      2. What was a risk that you took recently and what happened after you took that risk?
      3. Tell me about a time when you were presented with a problem, but did not have the tools to solve the problem.
      4. Why do you want to work for GM? What made you chose us?

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

I applied through my school website and got an on campus interview that was 1 hour and 30 minutes long. It consisted of two back to back interviews that were 45 minutes each. They were mostly behavioral questions and maybe a few technical questions based on what was on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to give up something   Answer Question

Software Developer? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Filled out a pre-application at a career, didnt think much of it. A week or so later I got an email telling me to show up at 7:45 the next morning for a "final interview". I guess they like you to be unprepared. They showed us the typical, "Look, dont you want to work for us?" presentation, then we had interviews with two people. The first guy I got was pretty unpleasant. I really just think he thought I was "weird" and didn't like me. Anyway, he asked a series of your typical bs interview questions, and they demand that you answer them in a rigid series of steps, and if a step didn't apply to your answer, I guess that was just seen as a failing on your part. He acted as if he couldn't comprehend my answers and wrote my answers down in a way that made me look bad, then refused to correct them. I felt like walking out of that interview, and I wish I had.
    The second guy I talked to was very nice and asked a couple of easy questions.
    That night, I was informed via email that I needed to apply to all the jobs I was interested in. Because applying after an interview makes perfect sense.
    Needless to say, within a week or two, I got a generic, "don't feel there's a strong match" email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that unexpected. Just imagine the worst questions from one of those books of interview questions, and an unsympathetic jerk sitting across from you.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors.

I had 2 on campus interviews with General Motors over the course of a week. The first interview was strictly behaviorally based. They require you to answer their questions with a STAR response framework in mind. The second interview was behavioral as well, with one technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of cars from the US and their miles per gallon, and a list of cars from Europe with their kilometers per hour, how would you determine which car has the best gas mileage.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

Talked to GM at a career fair. Had two behavioral interviews. Mostly standard behavioral questions. A technical question was scheduled, but the interviewer decided not to ask it. Heard back within a month.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a problem and how you went about solving the problem   Answer Question

Salary was not competitive

Software Developer Interview

There's a phone interview, then an in person interview.

The in person interview has a few people interview you, including your hiring manager. Don't believe that is your permanent manager; my manager changed after a week, and other IT folk had their manager change only 2 weeks after hire.

Interview Questions
    • They have some weird format they want you to answer in "what did you learn". So be prepared to explain that you learned something in every difficult previous work experience.   Answer Question
    I countered, and GM said no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question
    After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.