General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.3

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Consisted of your typical HR phone screen followed by a phone call with the hiring manager. Finally the onsite interview. This consisted of three separate meetings, two with senior developers, one with the hiring manager. Only a few times did the interview get technical, which is only as much as you allow it to get. All the questions asked are behavioral focused, no coding questions or challenges.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you failed to complete an assignment/task?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The end to end process (first contact to hire) was about 6 months. The process overall was positive; however, it was very obvious that there's a lot of red tape the interviewers must follow. I personally wouldn't let the idea of red tape prevent you from applying - General Motors is going through a massive IT transformation... The tape will eventually need to be replaced with something much stronger.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mainly behavioral and experienced based.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in April 2015.

Interview

I had two half-hour behavioral interviews on campus. It was a pretty relaxed setting with friendly people. Each interviewer had a set of questions to ask with no overlap. After these interviewers I also had the opportunity to speak with the lead recruiter and ask any other questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you attempted a solution to a problem that failed. How did you handle this failure?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Two round interview. The first is a recruiter. The second is the IT manager. Regular behavioral questions, some technique questions on Java and C, and asked to solve two algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the recent decision you made that you think was wrong, why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

2 interviews. One at ASU where I found the job. and the second in Chandler. Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do? Very nice office great benefits. 3000$ car credit. 3 weeks vacation time. good 401k plan tuition reimbursement after 3 years.

Interview Questions

• Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Fayetteville, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

I got an interview through my university career fair. The interview came about two weeks later and was pretty straight forward situational questions. Two interviews with two hiring managers. Received offer the same day.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to completely give or abandon a project or assignment.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Mine was a strictly behavioral interview on campus. I met with two software engineers or developers and went through a range of questions which I did not find difficult. You simply give examples of how you handle various situations. It is important to explain the process that you used in going about handling various situations. All in all, it was not too hard, and if you get to know the people sitting across from you, it all goes smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to solve a problem twice because you were wrong at first.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I was offered an On Campus interview which was mostly behavioral. The questions mostly tailored to different situations I had been in whether in school or the work place and how I handled the situations. The recruiter got in touch with me soon after my interview with more information about the process going forward. Overall, I had a very positive experience interviewing and working with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a peer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview was about an hour and had mostly typical HR questions. Tell me about a time and so on. Interviewers were polite and seemed easy going walked out feeling more like having left a meeting with a boss rather than an interview.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

They had two people interview me, it lasted around 2 hours. I believe it was 45 minutes for each individual and the last minutes left to ask questions. They had packets to with a ton of questions to ask me about, so that was the reason the interview took so long.

Interview Questions

• It was most behavioral questions that focused on teamwork. They are looking for people that can work in a team. Most difficult question: "How did you deal with someone that was not doing their work? How did you handle the situation? What would you change?"   Answer Question