General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.3

Software Developer? Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roswell, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Roswell, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

Filled out a pre-application at a career, didnt think much of it. A week or so later I got an email telling me to show up at 7:45 the next morning for a "final interview". I guess they like you to be unprepared. They showed us the typical, "Look, dont you want to work for us?" presentation, then we had interviews with two people. The first guy I got was pretty unpleasant. I really just think he thought I was "weird" and didn't like me. Anyway, he asked a series of your typical bs interview questions, and they demand that you answer them in a rigid series of steps, and if a step didn't apply to your answer, I guess that was just seen as a failing on your part. He acted as if he couldn't comprehend my answers and wrote my answers down in a way that made me look bad, then refused to correct them. I felt like walking out of that interview, and I wish I had. The second guy I talked to was very nice and asked a couple of easy questions. That night, I was informed via email that I needed to apply to all the jobs I was interested in. Because applying after an interview makes perfect sense. Needless to say, within a week or two, I got a generic, "don't feel there's a strong match" email.

Interview Questions

• Nothing that unexpected. Just imagine the worst questions from one of those books of interview questions, and an unsympathetic jerk sitting across from you.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

They had two people interview me, it lasted around 2 hours. I believe it was 45 minutes for each individual and the last minutes left to ask questions. They had packets to with a ton of questions to ask me about, so that was the reason the interview took so long.

Interview Questions

• It was most behavioral questions that focused on teamwork. They are looking for people that can work in a team. Most difficult question: "How did you deal with someone that was not doing their work? How did you handle the situation? What would you change?"   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

Interview

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

There was a series of 4 interviews over a 3 1/2 period. The first was with the initial recruiter. The second was with a team leader in the department. Third was a video conference with hiring manager and another senior person. Up to this point it's been the standard STAR questions that everybody else has reported. The fourth interview was similar to the 3rd but was over the phone and was much more technical. They asked about Java reflections, can you override a overloaded method etc. I don't remember anyone else describing a hard Java grilling. But obviously I didn't do well because the next day I got a rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you or someone on your team failed and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The end to end process (first contact to hire) was about 6 months. The process overall was positive; however, it was very obvious that there's a lot of red tape the interviewers must follow. I personally wouldn't let the idea of red tape prevent you from applying - General Motors is going through a massive IT transformation... The tape will eventually need to be replaced with something much stronger.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mainly behavioral and experienced based.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview was about an hour and had mostly typical HR questions. Tell me about a time and so on. Interviewers were polite and seemed easy going walked out feeling more like having left a meeting with a boss rather than an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in January 2009.

Interview

Tough technical questions were asked along with some thinking capabilities. I was primarily interviewed for a position in java/j2ee development. Questions were mainly focussed on j2ee, ejb, messaging and transaction capabilities using weblogic.

Interview Questions

• EJB, JMS, weblogic and transactions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting and went through a 2 stage interview process. Only received 4 technical questions but they were not difficult, their purpose was to see the thinking process of the candidates.

Interview Questions

• The questions are difficult if you don't know anything about yourself or anything related to the job your applying for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Havent received full details

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (El Paso, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

2 step interview process on campus.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I interviewed at General Motors in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview that lasted about an hour. Asked behavioural/situational questions. Expected scenario, challenge, approach, lesson, and application elsewhere. Also had technical screening with some Java/mysql concepts. Got onsite interview a week later. Similar questions asked again.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Waiting on response