General Motors

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Filled out a pre-application at a career, didnt think much of it. A week or so later I got an email telling me to show up at 7:45 the next morning for a "final interview". I guess they like you to be unprepared. They showed us the typical, "Look, dont you want to work for us?" presentation, then we had interviews with two people. The first guy I got was pretty unpleasant. I really just think he thought I was "weird" and didn't like me. Anyway, he asked a series of your typical bs interview questions, and they demand that you answer them in a rigid series of steps, and if a step didn't apply to your answer, I guess that was just seen as a failing on your part. He acted as if he couldn't comprehend my answers and wrote my answers down in a way that made me look bad, then refused to correct them. I felt like walking out of that interview, and I wish I had.
The second guy I talked to was very nice and asked a couple of easy questions.
That night, I was informed via email that I needed to apply to all the jobs I was interested in. Because applying after an interview makes perfect sense.
Needless to say, within a week or two, I got a generic, "don't feel there's a strong match" email.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing that unexpected. Just imagine the worst questions from one of those books of interview questions, and an unsympathetic jerk sitting across from you.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in September 2013.

Hiring for college students is through their campus recruiting process. There is usually 2 rounds of interviews, each involving 1 or 2 people. Mainly about situations and how you handled the situation as well as what you learned from the experience. In the 2nd rounds, there is usually a technical question to test your technical knowledge and problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really challenging. As long as you have a good command of your school and work experiences to draw from for the "situational" questions. For the technical question, if you should not have problems if you have been diligent with your computer science classes and project work.   Answer Question

Went with another employer who I interned with over the summer. Felt more comfortable since I knew about them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question
    After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

First had phone interview which consisted of questions about my resume and some situational questions. Second, had an on campus interview which followed the before mentioned structure, but they went a little deeper.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project where you approached it incorrectly. What did you do to correct it what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    No negotiation really. I was quite happy with the starting salary. Eligible for raises every 6 mos.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

I applied through my school website and got an on campus interview that was 1 hour and 30 minutes long. It consisted of two back to back interviews that were 45 minutes each. They were mostly behavioral questions and maybe a few technical questions based on what was on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to give up something   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at General Motors in January 2009.

Tough technical questions were asked along with some thinking capabilities. I was primarily interviewed for a position in java/j2ee development. Questions were mainly focussed on j2ee, ejb, messaging and transaction capabilities using weblogic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Applied through campus recruiting and went through a 2 stage interview process. Only received 4 technical questions but they were not difficult, their purpose was to see the thinking process of the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are difficult if you don't know anything about yourself or anything related to the job your applying for.   Answer Question
    Havent received full details

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

2 step interview process on campus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Applied online, Got a call from Recruiter, initial phone screen, on-site interview with 2 technical managers, 2 weeks later got the verbal offer, negotiating the offer.

Interview Questions
    • They are trying to hire Team player and Problem solver for the position I interviewed for.   Answer Question