General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

2.4

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in November 2013.

Easy going, laid back process. They asked the typical questions of "When have you been faced with a problem and how did you overcome it?"

I chose to go to a company where I was going to learn SharePoint Development

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question
    After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Mostly reviewing your resume and some STAR behavioral questions. Know your experiences and have some good stories to talk about and be detailed. The interviewers were all friendly and easy to talk to. Aside for the normal nervousness, it was very comfortable. To help me with the phone interviews, I had a sticky note of all of my past experiences that I might want to touch on. It helped

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very difficult, just some unexpected behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiating is only based on prior experience. They have a flat offer, and then bump for any professional experience you've had. Make sure you make all of your experience clear!

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Applied online, Got a call from Recruiter, initial phone screen, on-site interview with 2 technical managers, 2 weeks later got the verbal offer, negotiating the offer.

Interview Questions
    • They are trying to hire Team player and Problem solver for the position I interviewed for.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Two round interview process that took place over about 3 weeks. The first interview was your basic behavioral questions, held by two recruiter managers. It took about a week to hear back that I received a second round interview. The second was much like the first, which was unexpected. I was expecting a slightly more technical interview, since I was applying for a software development position, but the questions were almost identical to the ones asked during the first round. I received an official offer over the phone about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you made the wrong decision, but overcame the issues and excelled anyway.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

interviewed at General Motors in May 2013.

Applied online. Phone interview that lasted about an hour. Asked behavioural/situational questions. Expected scenario, challenge, approach, lesson, and application elsewhere. Also had technical screening with some Java/mysql concepts. Got onsite interview a week later. Similar questions asked again.

Waiting on response

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Paso, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

2 step interview process on campus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Applied through campus recruiting and went through a 2 stage interview process. Only received 4 technical questions but they were not difficult, their purpose was to see the thinking process of the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are difficult if you don't know anything about yourself or anything related to the job your applying for.   Answer Question
    Havent received full details

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days - interviewed at General Motors in January 2009.

Tough technical questions were asked along with some thinking capabilities. I was primarily interviewed for a position in java/j2ee development. Questions were mainly focussed on j2ee, ejb, messaging and transaction capabilities using weblogic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at General Motors.

They visited my campus for a career fair. After approaching them, they asked if I had time for a pre-screening interview. I agreed and the pre-screening went in a very generic fashion with HR questions about me working in a team, working with other cultures, biggest challenges, etc. Afterwards, I was asked to stay for another more formal interview. A technical representative then questioned me about my work experience, skill set, technical interests, and asked additional personality assessment questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is biggest risk you have taken and how did it affect your life?   Answer Question

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!