General Motors

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.4

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions
  • Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Met with GM at a university career fair in 2013. After the initial approach I had two interview the next day with the recruiters that were on campus. First one was strictly behavioral and the second one was a mix of behavioral and very easy technical question on programming basics.

Interview Questions
    • They were all very simple question. Like for example: write an algorithm that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Low Offer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Spoke with a group of developers at a university career fair and gave them a copy of my resume. A few weeks later I received a phone call to set up an in person interview on campus. The interview was a few weeks later. At the time of the actual interview there were little to no technical questions. There were three sections of mostly behavioral questions. Things like how do deal with a person who is a problem in a work situation.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real technical questions. Almost all behavioral questions. How would you react in this or that situation? What is your process when solving new problems?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

I spoke to a recruiter at a career fair at my school. A few weeks later they came back and called me in for an interview on campus. There were five or so different questions that were pretty open ended. It was really more of a conversation than an interview. The questions dealt with how I dealt with different past projects and items from my resumes and also how I would deal with certain situations. There were no technical questions. I got a call a few weeks later with the offer and they gave me a few weeks to respond. They also flew me out to their office for an informational session where I got to learn more about the company before I made my decision.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not very difficult so long as you can easily talk about your past and the things on your resume.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in August 2013.

The interview process was very easy. I was given my first interview after a career fair at the University. The first interview was a personality interview. The second interview was a technical interview. The technical bar, seems exceptionally low, given the nature of the questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1.) Write a program in your preferred language to sort a list of cars.   View Answer
    • 2.) Write a program to determine if something is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

The process was pretty simple. There was a career fair in my school. I approached the recruiters about more information, next thing I know I have an interview with them.

After the interview (which was purely behavior questions) - kind of normal for a first interview. I was told to wait for them to contact me.

About a week after I received an email from one of the recruiters letting me know that I have an interview at a particular time. I was not given a heads up or anything, so that was kind of frustrating.

During the interview they went over a power point, kind of trying to sell you on GM because lets face it as a graduating college students we all may get approached by different companies. Then we did a tour of the building, showing us where the magic happens and finally it was the interview.

The interview was all behavioral questions again - no technical questions, mainly because they put you through an intense training program once you get hired.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What was one wrong decision that you made in the past and what was the outcome?
      2. What was a risk that you took recently and what happened after you took that risk?
      3. Tell me about a time when you were presented with a problem, but did not have the tools to solve the problem.
      4. Why do you want to work for GM? What made you chose us?

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Took about 4 weeks. I got met GM at a career fair. They scheduled an interview for the same day. and they only asked behavioral questions. About a week later I received a call and they scheduled a phone screen. Again, only behavioral questions. Then I received another call from HR. They said they want to give me an offer and I could choose between 3 locations. I had to wait few weeks to actually get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What type of people you don't like to work with?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

Talked to GM at a career fair. Had two behavioral interviews. Mostly standard behavioral questions. A technical question was scheduled, but the interviewer decided not to ask it. Heard back within a month.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a problem and how you went about solving the problem   Answer Question

Salary was not competitive

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

It was very easy. They only did a 1st round interview at my schools career fair. About 4-5 weeks later I got a call with the job offer. I do not believe I was asked any technical questions. They're trying to get the overall IT department up to about 10,000 people. Right now we're at about 8,000. Unless you were with HP, IBM, Dell, or a previous contractor they only want college hires.

Interview Questions
    The money was more than expected, so I gladly accepted.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

Mainly behavorial questions. Nothing too difficult. Had two back to back interviews same day with two different managers. No technical questions but be sure to admit you don't know something instead of pretending like you do. It seemed very fast paced but it covered a broad range of interview questions. Mainly, "Name a time where a fellow teammate performed poorly." Or "What was the most challenging task you have ever completed?"