General Motors

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details – Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Question – Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Met with GM at a university career fair in 2013. After the initial approach I had two interview the next day with the recruiters that were on campus. First one was strictly behavioral and the second one was a mix of behavioral and very easy technical question on programming basics.

Interview Question – They were all very simple question. Like for example: write an algorithm that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low Offer

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Spoke with a group of developers at a university career fair and gave them a copy of my resume. A few weeks later I received a phone call to set up an in person interview on campus. The interview was a few weeks later. At the time of the actual interview there were little to no technical questions. There were three sections of mostly behavioral questions. Things like how do deal with a person who is a problem in a work situation.

Interview Question – There were no real technical questions. Almost all behavioral questions. How would you react in this or that situation? What is your process when solving new problems?   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details – I spoke to a recruiter at a career fair at my school. A few weeks later they came back and called me in for an interview on campus. There were five or so different questions that were pretty open ended. It was really more of a conversation than an interview. The questions dealt with how I dealt with different past projects and items from my resumes and also how I would deal with certain situations. There were no technical questions. I got a call a few weeks later with the offer and they gave me a few weeks to respond. They also flew me out to their office for an informational session where I got to learn more about the company before I made my decision.

Interview Question – The questions were not very difficult so long as you can easily talk about your past and the things on your resume.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in April 2013.

Interview Details – Not exactly your standard interview. First a phone screen with technical questions related to java (dependency injection, mocking, ect) and some sql (inner/outer join) as well as a few design patterns.

The on-site was scheduled a few days later and was terrible. Three hour interview, first hour was a PowerPoint that looked like it was made in the 90's, word-art and all, explaining how good GM is. Next hour was a "technical" interview. I say technical even though they only asked me about situations in the past and how I've dealt with them and a few verbal definitions. This could have been done over the phone and didn't require me to go to their location. There was no white-boarding, which is what I would expect at a programming interview, however they explained that they were told from "the top" to not whiteboard. I was ready to walk out at this point as you can never trust the type of programmer that can be hired without white-boarding (believe me from experience).

I felt extremely rushed as they had to go through these 3 open ended questions, one of which ended with the interviewer explained to me that O(N^2) wasn't that bad even though I managed to make the algorithm O(N). He didn't know why you'd want to change that.

Also he regularly interrupted my answers with "let me help you with that" even though my answer were correct, though it may have not been the example he wanted (ie: he asked a question about inheritance and I gave a Person is a mammal relation, but he instead wanted the circle is a shape). He argued with me on every question over semantics. Started to drill through even more definitions and design. First definition question was, "Have you ever made a method call before?" It was pretty clear that they were wasting my time at this point. The interview was not catered to my skill level at all. The position I was going for was a senior java dev role and they actually asked if I had ever made a method call. I realize that this was a standard interview, but I have my MS in a top 10 institution in CS with 5 years enterprise java experience and the suggestion I don't understand a method call is just downright rude.

Questions continued like: what is object oriented programming, programming level language design decisions of things like pass by value/pass by reference in specific instances in java, is there an "ordered set" in java, but not showing the code or asking me to make a data structure like this. The value of these questions are really low as they're asking specifics of the language and not if I understand how programming works.

The interviewer was hard to understand (thick Indian accent). Every time I moved forward to hear him better he moved backward to hide his writings on the page (although my eyesight is excellent and he was merely writing down word for word what I was saying). I had decided not to work with this company at this point, if this was the bar for a "Senior" programmer, I could only imagine what an entry would look like. I was also told there were no "intermediate" developers due to the fact that they outsource at that level, so if you're an entry looking for a job, it's doubtful you'd get past entry.

The last hour was another random guy asking me more open ended questions that were situation based. This is where I asked why we didn't do any whiteboarding and he told me that they're, "not looking to make an excellent programming shop. We just want to support internal products that sell cars." Seriously. Also I asked if there was a push for Scrum in the future and he said, "no, project managers hate that and we have a lot of project managers fully against it." Pretty obvious project managers already rule at GM even though they have no developers.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – afraid of what I would find.

Software Developer

The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in March 2009.

Interview Details – It was a very simple interview. They asked me the basics of and Data structures. It was more of a personality test/behavioural interview than a technical interview. It happended at the GM tech centre in bangalore india. It was a full day interview. had a tech round as well as hr round. at the end of the hr round the hr told me that that they were offering me the job!

Interview Question – Difference between structures and unions   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details – From the time I first applied online until I received an offer was about 35 days. Initial screening interview, technical phone interview, on-site interview (two sessions). Interviews are conversational and there isn't much preparation needed. Just know your resume and be able to share situational experience. Rcvd phone offer 4 days later

Interview Question – If you like to do many things like develop and lead and test, they will ask you to choose one. They will also ask you if there is anything that you hate to do. My hate was "write technical documentation" and the interviewer seemed to sympathize with me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I documented my requests for more base salary and they were all turned down. Basically, they give you a salary figure and you either take it or leave it. They say they will entertain requests, but I felt like they were just saying that because they came back very quickly with "no" to several different scenarios.

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details – There's a phone interview, then an in person interview.

The in person interview has a few people interview you, including your hiring manager. Don't believe that is your permanent manager; my manager changed after a week, and other IT folk had their manager change only 2 weeks after hire.

Interview Question – They have some weird format they want you to answer in "what did you learn". So be prepared to explain that you learned something in every difficult previous work experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I countered, and GM said no.

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Question – Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Two round interview process that took place over about 3 weeks. The first interview was your basic behavioral questions, held by two recruiter managers. It took about a week to hear back that I received a second round interview. The second was much like the first, which was unexpected. I was expecting a slightly more technical interview, since I was applying for a software development position, but the questions were almost identical to the ones asked during the first round. I received an official offer over the phone about a week later.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you made the wrong decision, but overcame the issues and excelled anyway.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

General Motors Videos

General Motors – Why Work for Us?

At GM, we believe that striking a positive work-life balance leads to an engaged, productive work force. In fact, we believe that by empowering our employees to explore flextime and telecommuting options, not only can… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.