General Motors

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.4

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Mostly reviewing your resume and some STAR behavioral questions. Know your experiences and have some good stories to talk about and be detailed. The interviewers were all friendly and easy to talk to. Aside for the normal nervousness, it was very comfortable. To help me with the phone interviews, I had a sticky note of all of my past experiences that I might want to touch on. It helped

Interview Questions
  • Nothing was very difficult, just some unexpected behavioral questions.   Answer Question
Negotiating is only based on prior experience. They have a flat offer, and then bump for any professional experience you've had. Make sure you make all of your experience clear!

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Two round interview process that took place over about 3 weeks. The first interview was your basic behavioral questions, held by two recruiter managers. It took about a week to hear back that I received a second round interview. The second was much like the first, which was unexpected. I was expecting a slightly more technical interview, since I was applying for a software development position, but the questions were almost identical to the ones asked during the first round. I received an official offer over the phone about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you made the wrong decision, but overcame the issues and excelled anyway.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

It was very easy. They only did a 1st round interview at my schools career fair. About 4-5 weeks later I got a call with the job offer. I do not believe I was asked any technical questions. They're trying to get the overall IT department up to about 10,000 people. Right now we're at about 8,000. Unless you were with HP, IBM, Dell, or a previous contractor they only want college hires.

Interview Questions
    The money was more than expected, so I gladly accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

From the time I first applied online until I received an offer was about 35 days. Initial screening interview, technical phone interview, on-site interview (two sessions). Interviews are conversational and there isn't much preparation needed. Just know your resume and be able to share situational experience. Rcvd phone offer 4 days later

Interview Questions
    • If you like to do many things like develop and lead and test, they will ask you to choose one. They will also ask you if there is anything that you hate to do. My hate was "write technical documentation" and the interviewer seemed to sympathize with me.   Answer Question
    I documented my requests for more base salary and they were all turned down. Basically, they give you a salary figure and you either take it or leave it. They say they will entertain requests, but I felt like they were just saying that because they came back very quickly with "no" to several different scenarios.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Spoke with a group of developers at a university career fair and gave them a copy of my resume. A few weeks later I received a phone call to set up an in person interview on campus. The interview was a few weeks later. At the time of the actual interview there were little to no technical questions. There were three sections of mostly behavioral questions. Things like how do deal with a person who is a problem in a work situation.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real technical questions. Almost all behavioral questions. How would you react in this or that situation? What is your process when solving new problems?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2013.

Easy going, laid back process. They asked the typical questions of "When have you been faced with a problem and how did you overcome it?"

I chose to go to a company where I was going to learn SharePoint Development

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person – interviewed at General Motors.

They visited my campus for a career fair. After approaching them, they asked if I had time for a pre-screening interview. I agreed and the pre-screening went in a very generic fashion with HR questions about me working in a team, working with other cultures, biggest challenges, etc. Afterwards, I was asked to stay for another more formal interview. A technical representative then questioned me about my work experience, skill set, technical interests, and asked additional personality assessment questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is biggest risk you have taken and how did it affect your life?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in September 2013.

Hiring for college students is through their campus recruiting process. There is usually 2 rounds of interviews, each involving 1 or 2 people. Mainly about situations and how you handled the situation as well as what you learned from the experience. In the 2nd rounds, there is usually a technical question to test your technical knowledge and problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really challenging. As long as you have a good command of your school and work experiences to draw from for the "situational" questions. For the technical question, if you should not have problems if you have been diligent with your computer science classes and project work.   Answer Question

Went with another employer who I interned with over the summer. Felt more comfortable since I knew about them.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in August 2013.

The interview process was very easy. I was given my first interview after a career fair at the University. The first interview was a personality interview. The second interview was a technical interview. The technical bar, seems exceptionally low, given the nature of the questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1.) Write a program in your preferred language to sort a list of cars.   View Answer
    • 2.) Write a program to determine if something is a palindrome.   Answer Question