General Motors

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I interviewed at General Motors in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Phone interview that lasted about an hour. Asked behavioural/situational questions. Expected scenario, challenge, approach, lesson, and application elsewhere. Also had technical screening with some Java/mysql concepts. Got onsite interview a week later. Similar questions asked again.

Interview Question – Nothing too dificult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Waiting on response

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details – I spoke to a recruiter at a career fair at my school. A few weeks later they came back and called me in for an interview on campus. There were five or so different questions that were pretty open ended. It was really more of a conversation than an interview. The questions dealt with how I dealt with different past projects and items from my resumes and also how I would deal with certain situations. There were no technical questions. I got a call a few weeks later with the offer and they gave me a few weeks to respond. They also flew me out to their office for an informational session where I got to learn more about the company before I made my decision.

Interview Question – The questions were not very difficult so long as you can easily talk about your past and the things on your resume.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, Got a call from Recruiter, initial phone screen, on-site interview with 2 technical managers, 2 weeks later got the verbal offer, negotiating the offer.

Interview Question – They are trying to hire Team player and Problem solver for the position I interviewed for.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in April 2013.

Interview Details – Not exactly your standard interview. First a phone screen with technical questions related to java (dependency injection, mocking, ect) and some sql (inner/outer join) as well as a few design patterns.

The on-site was scheduled a few days later and was terrible. Three hour interview, first hour was a PowerPoint that looked like it was made in the 90's, word-art and all, explaining how good GM is. Next hour was a "technical" interview. I say technical even though they only asked me about situations in the past and how I've dealt with them and a few verbal definitions. This could have been done over the phone and didn't require me to go to their location. There was no white-boarding, which is what I would expect at a programming interview, however they explained that they were told from "the top" to not whiteboard. I was ready to walk out at this point as you can never trust the type of programmer that can be hired without white-boarding (believe me from experience).

I felt extremely rushed as they had to go through these 3 open ended questions, one of which ended with the interviewer explained to me that O(N^2) wasn't that bad even though I managed to make the algorithm O(N). He didn't know why you'd want to change that.

Also he regularly interrupted my answers with "let me help you with that" even though my answer were correct, though it may have not been the example he wanted (ie: he asked a question about inheritance and I gave a Person is a mammal relation, but he instead wanted the circle is a shape). He argued with me on every question over semantics. Started to drill through even more definitions and design. First definition question was, "Have you ever made a method call before?" It was pretty clear that they were wasting my time at this point. The interview was not catered to my skill level at all. The position I was going for was a senior java dev role and they actually asked if I had ever made a method call. I realize that this was a standard interview, but I have my MS in a top 10 institution in CS with 5 years enterprise java experience and the suggestion I don't understand a method call is just downright rude.

Questions continued like: what is object oriented programming, programming level language design decisions of things like pass by value/pass by reference in specific instances in java, is there an "ordered set" in java, but not showing the code or asking me to make a data structure like this. The value of these questions are really low as they're asking specifics of the language and not if I understand how programming works.

The interviewer was hard to understand (thick Indian accent). Every time I moved forward to hear him better he moved backward to hide his writings on the page (although my eyesight is excellent and he was merely writing down word for word what I was saying). I had decided not to work with this company at this point, if this was the bar for a "Senior" programmer, I could only imagine what an entry would look like. I was also told there were no "intermediate" developers due to the fact that they outsource at that level, so if you're an entry looking for a job, it's doubtful you'd get past entry.

The last hour was another random guy asking me more open ended questions that were situation based. This is where I asked why we didn't do any whiteboarding and he told me that they're, "not looking to make an excellent programming shop. We just want to support internal products that sell cars." Seriously. Also I asked if there was a push for Scrum in the future and he said, "no, project managers hate that and we have a lot of project managers fully against it." Pretty obvious project managers already rule at GM even though they have no developers.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – afraid of what I would find.

El Paso, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details – 2 step interview process on campus.

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting and went through a 2 stage interview process. Only received 4 technical questions but they were not difficult, their purpose was to see the thinking process of the candidates.

Interview Question – The questions are difficult if you don't know anything about yourself or anything related to the job your applying for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Havent received full details

Detroit, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at General Motors in January 2009.

Interview Details – Tough technical questions were asked along with some thinking capabilities. I was primarily interviewed for a position in java/j2ee development. Questions were mainly focussed on j2ee, ejb, messaging and transaction capabilities using weblogic.

Interview Question – EJB, JMS, weblogic and transactions   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Met with GM at a university career fair in 2013. After the initial approach I had two interview the next day with the recruiters that were on campus. First one was strictly behavioral and the second one was a mix of behavioral and very easy technical question on programming basics.

Interview Question – They were all very simple question. Like for example: write an algorithm that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low Offer

Software Developer

The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in March 2009.

Interview Details – It was a very simple interview. They asked me the basics of and Data structures. It was more of a personality test/behavioural interview than a technical interview. It happended at the GM tech centre in bangalore india. It was a full day interview. had a tech round as well as hr round. at the end of the hr round the hr told me that that they were offering me the job!

Interview Question – Difference between structures and unions   Answer Question