General Motors

2.0

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in August 2013.

Received the first call from talent acquisition, she scheduled a phone interview with a hiring manager. The interview was rather "STAR" based, and appropriate for the position, since it involves diverse, and dynamic testing, assessments, and broad interaction with many teams.
I believe the interview went well, and she indicated I should hear from someone for an onsite interview, I received a call appx 3 business days later scheduling the onsite interview.

This interview was as described by others, first an overview of the company, then individual interviews with two managers, (one at a time)

I did not expect the same questions from each manager, and stumbled a bit to have 'fresh' responses during the second interview. These questions were the same as those asked during the phone interview.

After one week, I did receive the "Thank you for your recent participation in an interview with General Motors...but no thanks" followup. I was not really surprised, as I had left the onsite interview feeling rather ambivalent, as explained above, all three interviews were identical, and I was not sure if they were seeking identical answers or fresh responses, so fresh responses could indicate dishonesty if they are comparing notes, OR, identical responses could indicate you had no fresh ideas!

Interview Questions
  • What was the most difficult news you had to deliver, and what was the takeaway lesson?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

Met recruiters at Career Fair and scheduled interview for the next day. Next day interview was composed of behavioral questions. At the end of this interview, I was told I would be invited back for a more technical interview, which we scheduled for the next day. This interview was much of the same thing, but included a simple technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you have failed, and what did you learn from this experience?   Answer Question

Their initial offer was lower than I could accept. The lack of organization going from interviews to offer was also a big red flag for me. They claim to be improving processes, but it seems as though they are throwing the cheapest bodies they can at problems.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

I initially found out about the opportunity to work for GM during a university job fair. It was one of the easier interview processes that I've been a part of. It was just a lot of situational questions. I only had one interview then I heard back several weeks later. The company seems to be trying to greatly expand their IT department over the next few years.