General Motors Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in November 2014.

Interview

1) Applied online 2) received a request for a phone screen by GM talent(less than 1 hr notice) 3) after screening **they go over basic background information, salary you want, etc 4) now your resume is available to groups in GM that are hiring 5) wait on a interview request 6) did a face to face as expected it was a behavioral interview about 4 questions with 2 examples of each they are basic behavioral ie) tell me about a time you were given a task without the proper tools, worse job experience, handle time management, tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict at work. 7) went over job experience 8) they go over the position 9) ask questions then end of interview

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting to have to give a follow up examples.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in September 2012.

Interview

Two round process -- first is basic focusing on behaviors a lot of "Tell me about a time you had an assignment but didn't know how to proceed ...." Not a black/white or right/wrong but how you approached the situation. Second round is repetitive but does includes technical proficiency.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic really; most people should focus on personal interaction and technical skills.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

Interview

Met recruiters at Career Fair and scheduled interview for the next day. Next day interview was composed of behavioral questions. At the end of this interview, I was told I would be invited back for a more technical interview, which we scheduled for the next day. This interview was much of the same thing, but included a simple technical question.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you have failed, and what did you learn from this experience?   Answer Question

Their initial offer was lower than I could accept. The lack of organization going from interviews to offer was also a big red flag for me. They claim to be improving processes, but it seems as though they are throwing the cheapest bodies they can at problems.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I initially found out about the opportunity to work for GM during a university job fair. It was one of the easier interview processes that I've been a part of. It was just a lot of situational questions. I only had one interview then I heard back several weeks later. The company seems to be trying to greatly expand their IT department over the next few years.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Received the first call from talent acquisition, she scheduled a phone interview with a hiring manager. The interview was rather "STAR" based, and appropriate for the position, since it involves diverse, and dynamic testing, assessments, and broad interaction with many teams. I believe the interview went well, and she indicated I should hear from someone for an onsite interview, I received a call appx 3 business days later scheduling the onsite interview. This interview was as described by others, first an overview of the company, then individual interviews with two managers, (one at a time) I did not expect the same questions from each manager, and stumbled a bit to have 'fresh' responses during the second interview. These questions were the same as those asked during the phone interview. After one week, I did receive the "Thank you for your recent participation in an interview with General Motors...but no thanks" followup. I was not really surprised, as I had left the onsite interview feeling rather ambivalent, as explained above, all three interviews were identical, and I was not sure if they were seeking identical answers or fresh responses, so fresh responses could indicate dishonesty if they are comparing notes, OR, identical responses could indicate you had no fresh ideas!

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult news you had to deliver, and what was the takeaway lesson?   1 Answer