General Motors Validation Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2015
Updated Feb 7, 2015

Validation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

Interview

Met through a campus recruiter. After months, and far past when my peers got interviews, I got a phone call to verify my availability. Waiting a few more weeks to hear back and they decided to fly me out. Picked me up, took my to the hotel and the next day, from the hotel to the interview. Waited in the lobby for a while until someone came and got me and informed me that they had forgotten about my presence there. The interview consisted of two candidates and two interviewers. Interviews lasted one hour with each interviewer and all questions were based on the STAR method.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Validation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred by an employee, but I still had to apply online.

5 days later they wanted to set up a phone screen. The standard questions like why GM, why this role, willingness to relocate, salary expectation, brief overview of internships/coursework.

3 weeks later I was notified of an hour long video interview with 2 of the HR managers.

At the interview they told me this role was for midlevel career people, but went ahead and did the interview anyway. Bit confusing as the posting had also included entry level.

Both alternated in asking questions and wanted to see me demonstrate the STAR method, what I learnt and how I have used that knowledge in another experience. Some of the questions were tough to answer since I didn't have much experience out of school.

There were around 10 questions in total, which took up 90 minutes, more than the allotted hour. The rest of the time I got to ask questions. The interview actually lasted 2 hours and my eyes were exhausted staring at the screen for so long. I had to follow up with them a month later; they said I'll be referred to a graduate-level position.

2 months later I'm invited to another 2 hour video interview for the SAME POSITION, but with different people. Apparently the first interviewers didn't put me in the system that indicates I've gone through this stage. It was more of the same questions and they'll notify me in 'a couple of weeks'. Highly inefficient for such a big company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you shared communication with someone and had to revise it later on   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision with totally inadequate information   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to manage multiple tasks   1 Answer

Validation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI).

Interview

I applied online for the position. a week later i got a phone interview. the day after i got an invitation for the interview via email. two hours interview, all the question were behavioral question and i had to follow the star technique.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were easy but you have to be specific in your answers   Answer Question

Validation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

Interview

I attend my schools career fair in the fall of 2012. I went to the GM booth and talked to several recruiters, at which point I was offered an interview. At the time I was only looking for an internship, since I still had an additional year of school left. During my interview I was asked a series of situational questions. Such as given this situation how would you react. I was also asked questions where I needed to provide examples from my past jobs or class work, so that I could show my experience with different situations. I was also asked about what types of work I was interested in, such as hands on, design, testing, etc. After my interview I was told I would hear back in about 3 weeks. Exactly three weeks later I received a call from HR telling me I had been extended an offer. Once I accepted the offer I began to receive information from Red Carpet, which is GM's on boarding program. This included information about drug testing, background screening, as well as, documents to be filled out for employment.

GM uses their internships to find future employees. Think of it as an extended interview. Once I began work as an intern I was given real engineering work, and was expected to get it done. I did have plenty of help from my mentor, but I was still expected to do quality work. You get reviewed near the end of your internship and if things go well you are usually given an offer for full time employment. If you still have more than a year left of schooling you could also be given another internship.

For me I was given a full time offer as a validation engineer, that was contingent on my graduation the following spring.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about a time when you had to "BLANK". Ex: had to make a quick decision without a supervisor, had to resolve a conflict within a group, had to be a leader, etc.   1 Answer

Validation Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in February 2011.

Interview

Got a phone call that a manager had interest in my resume. The day off there was an orientation session and had two 1 on 1 interviews. Used the STAR system, which was tedious. However, the managers/interviewers were VERY friendly. They really seemed to enjoy their jobs, were happy talk to you about any questions or comments and gave very honest and straight forward answers. They took care of you from the beginning of the interview till you got out the door. Really enjoyed the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you chose not take action though there was pressure on you to do so.   Answer Question