General Motors

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Validation Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

Interview Details – I attend my schools career fair in the fall of 2012. I went to the GM booth and talked to several recruiters, at which point I was offered an interview. At the time I was only looking for an internship, since I still had an additional year of school left. During my interview I was asked a series of situational questions. Such as given this situation how would you react. I was also asked questions where I needed to provide examples from my past jobs or class work, so that I could show my experience with different situations. I was also asked about what types of work I was interested in, such as hands on, design, testing, etc. After my interview I was told I would hear back in about 3 weeks. Exactly three weeks later I received a call from HR telling me I had been extended an offer. Once I accepted the offer I began to receive information from Red Carpet, which is GM's on boarding program. This included information about drug testing, background screening, as well as, documents to be filled out for employment.

GM uses their internships to find future employees. Think of it as an extended interview. Once I began work as an intern I was given real engineering work, and was expected to get it done. I did have plenty of help from my mentor, but I was still expected to do quality work. You get reviewed near the end of your internship and if things go well you are usually given an offer for full time employment. If you still have more than a year left of schooling you could also be given another internship.

For me I was given a full time offer as a validation engineer, that was contingent on my graduation the following spring.

Interview Question – Please tell me about a time when you had to "BLANK". Ex: had to make a quick decision without a supervisor, had to resolve a conflict within a group, had to be a leader, etc.   View Answer

Pontiac, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position. a week later i got a phone interview. the day after i got an invitation for the interview via email. two hours interview, all the question were behavioral question and i had to follow the star technique.

Interview Question – All the questions were easy but you have to be specific in your answers   Answer Question

Pontiac, MI

The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2011.

Interview Details – Got a phone call that a manager had interest in my resume. The day off there was an orientation session and had two 1 on 1 interviews. Used the STAR system, which was tedious. However, the managers/interviewers were VERY friendly. They really seemed to enjoy their jobs, were happy talk to you about any questions or comments and gave very honest and straight forward answers. They took care of you from the beginning of the interview till you got out the door. Really enjoyed the interview.

Interview Question – Name a time when you chose not take action though there was pressure on you to do so.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

General Motors Videos

General Motors – Why Work for Us?

At GM, we believe that striking a positive work-life balance leads to an engaged, productive work force. In fact, we believe that by empowering our employees to explore flextime and telecommuting options, not only can… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors Validation Engineer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.