General Star Management

Candidate Interview Review

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Star Management in September 2013.

I was initially contacted by a third party recruiter. He set up a phone interview with the hiring manager that lasted about an hour. The conversation flowed relatively easily. They asked me to come back into the office to meet the team. That consisted of 2 one on one interviews with tenured underwriters and concluded with a 2 on one format with the hiring manager and recent underwriting hire. The process took about 2 hours. I generally liked all the people I met. They were friendly for the most part. The seating arrangement (bullpen style) with little privacy was a concern for me and I let that be known. Additionally, there were several positive coincidences between myself and the manager and I thought the whole process was relatively positive. Overall, my heart wasn't in excess casualty from the start and that might have shown through. The position was highly transactional in nature and I was looking to move away from that. I think they were looking for a very specific personality style to fit into the team. The hiring manager asked me twice (once on the phone and once again in person) about my interest in going into management which I thought was peculiar. I said that I did have an interest in that down the road in my career. However, the company is not set up in a way for people to advance into management and I think they wanted someone who was happy with the status quo.