Genivar Interview Questions & Reviews

7 interviews

2.3

IT Technician Level I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Genivar.

Sent my resume to them through my university recruitment center. Got a call a week later, asked me a few questions regarding professionalism, my background in IT and what I did in school. Got an email the same day asking me to come for an in person interview a week later. Right before the in person interview they asked me to answer some technical questions on paper (kind of like a quiz). The questions were pretty technical along the lines of subnetting and other tech stuff. During the interview they basically just went through my resume and asked me about my work and school experience, it was more casual and more like a conversation than an interview. It seemed like they were making questions up as we were going.

Interview Questions
    • How do you keep up to date with the latest technology?
      How do you handle a customer that is angry?
      What made you apply for this job?
      Why did you chose the program you did for university?
      What is the difference between a HUB and a switch.
      Have you ever used a FTP server?
      Have you ever used any remote desktop software?
        View Answer
    No did not negotiate. Benefits and salary are good for an entry level position and benefits start from day 1 which is really good.

Engineer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Genivar.

They were very open and honest about what i would do. The HR staff was very friendly and inviting and helped clarify the process and expectations.

Managers were friendly and talked a lot about growth and opportunities. They were also very honest about what parts i might not like, which i respected since i didn't want to go in thinking i was going to be starting at the top.

Interview Questions
    • What would my references say about me? Not a difficult question in itself but i was worried that my references might be slightly different.   Answer Question

Junior Engineering Technologist Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Genivar in May 2012.

My interview process was minimal, I was head-hunted by a manager within the company and was asked to come in for an interview. It was very casual, talking about values, goals and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be open to working overtime?   View Answer
    I chose not to negotiate my pay offer, but it was an option.

Project Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Genivar.

Long winded, circles

Engineer-In-Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Genivar in March 2011.

I had one telephone and one live interview 6 months later. The hiring process certainly took a long time but it only took one week for them to return with the good news.

There were the usually H.R.-related skills/personality inventory questions, though for the most part this interview was a simple conversation with my boss.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you want to do in 5 years?" - it certainly wasn't wastewater engineering so I wasn't sure how to answer.
      "What were your grades like in university (they didn't ask for a transcript)? Why would I hire you instead of the people coming in here with 95% averages?"
        View Answer
    Start date. Didn't choose to negotiate anything else.

IT Technician Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Genivar in June 2011.

Interview took a while to line up. Interview questions where a little irrelevant.

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Genivar in February 2008.

Job description was posted on university's recruitment centre website. Applied through the website with cover letter, resume and transcripts. Invited to interview at the office. Met a current junior engineer at a university career fair prior to my interview. Perception was great at that point already as he had worked there as a student intern as well and returned full-time, continuing on the next phase of a project he previously worked on and was giver the opportunity for a leadership role.

Office was very nice, everyone I met on interview day was courteous, friendly and welcoming. They were in between HR people when I interviewed, so I was interviewed (for 3 hours!) by future supervisor and same junior engineer I spoke with at the career fair... it was more of a chat and learning opportunity about the company, the kind of work they do, specific projects this group has going on or up the pipe etc. However, there was some "grilling" in terms of claims made on resume and cover letter (I think senior interviewer saw them at the interview for the first time) but wasn't stressful for me as I could back everything up.

The culture seemed very much "carve out your own niche" as opposed to having clear (& repetitive) job responsibilities, which might not be for those used to hand-holding and/or slacking off. People were very friendly and genuinely interested in potential new hires - fit is considered just as (if not more) important than initiative, skills, etc.

Interview Questions
    Was given a written offer via e-mail shortly after interview... hourly wage was not really negotiable as I was already given max for student, but there was potential for future bonuses based on performance (actually delivered), but this has striked me as more of an exception than common practice.

Even though salary may not be above industry average, it is a tremendous learning opportunity that should not be missed. For full-time employees salary is actually good (or so i hear) and preferred stock options are offered at a great rate and even early on for strong performers.

Worked for Genivar? Contribute to the Community!