Genivar Student Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Genivar (Markham, ON (Canada)) in February 2008.

Interview

Job description was posted on university's recruitment centre website. Applied through the website with cover letter, resume and transcripts. Invited to interview at the office. Met a current junior engineer at a university career fair prior to my interview. Perception was great at that point already as he had worked there as a student intern as well and returned full-time, continuing on the next phase of a project he previously worked on and was giver the opportunity for a leadership role.

Office was very nice, everyone I met on interview day was courteous, friendly and welcoming. They were in between HR people when I interviewed, so I was interviewed (for 3 hours!) by future supervisor and same junior engineer I spoke with at the career fair... it was more of a chat and learning opportunity about the company, the kind of work they do, specific projects this group has going on or up the pipe etc. However, there was some "grilling" in terms of claims made on resume and cover letter (I think senior interviewer saw them at the interview for the first time) but wasn't stressful for me as I could back everything up.

The culture seemed very much "carve out your own niche" as opposed to having clear (& repetitive) job responsibilities, which might not be for those used to hand-holding and/or slacking off. People were very friendly and genuinely interested in potential new hires - fit is considered just as (if not more) important than initiative, skills, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was given a written offer via e-mail shortly after interview... hourly wage was not really negotiable as I was already given max for student, but there was potential for future bonuses based on performance (actually delivered), but this has striked me as more of an exception than common practice.

Even though salary may not be above industry average, it is a tremendous learning opportunity that should not be missed. For full-time employees salary is actually good (or so i hear) and preferred stock options are offered at a great rate and even early on for strong performers.