Gensler

Updated Jan 23, 2015

2.7

Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gensler.

Generally speaking, this was a very good experience. Three people interviewed me online at the same time but it was very relaxing. We talked a lot about my portfolio with sharing screen. The other questions I remembered go as the following: What do you want to gain from the experience? What is your related experience?

Interior Designer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gensler.

I applied online, got a phone call to schedule a video interview a month after applying. They gave me a week to prepare for the interview. The video interview was with an Interior Designer and an Architect.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask many questions, which was difficult not knowing what they wanted to hear.   Answer Question

Environmental Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Gensler.

I applied for the EGD position online and heard back from Gensler within a week. I was very excited and they wanted to meet for an interview next week in office. Two design lead took my interview and they were very helpful, friendly asked question regarding to my projects, designs. The interview was more than an hour long and they also asked me to go through the projects that I think are worth my qualities and experiences.

Junior Architectural Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Gensler in November 2014.

I initially applied online for the Junior Architectural Designer position in Baltimore, MD, in October and 4 weeks later I received an email from an associate stating they wanted to meet with me further. We scheduled a meeting and on the day of the interview I arrived 10 minutes early. The receptionist greeted me and sat me in a conference room where I waited for some time until the first two associates arrived. We chatted a bit and then I began to explain my professional and academic experience. Moments later the third interviewer walked in a little late and greeted me. I continued to express my background and we reviewed my portfolio. Their attention was constanly interrupted with staff entering the conference room asking banal questions which consumed quite some time. This was absurdley rude. We continued and I began to ask them questions about the firm, workflow, type of projects, etc. The interview lasted about an hour and we wrapped up our conversation. I was informed that I will hear their response from the receptionist, and I asked if I may contact them for any further inquiries, with that they responded negatively and said no. The following day I sent a thank you note to all three associates and one of them responded 'this is a no for me.' Insanely unprofessional and absurd.

Interview Questions
    • None, they asked fairly standard and mundane questions about experience and background.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gensler.

Applied through their online application site. Got an email a week or two later for a Gotomeeting interview. Had a good chat with the HR and the interviewer who later became my boss.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard interview process. Be prepared to explain your portfolio projects in details.   Answer Question

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler.

Two interviews; each a couple of hours long and very intense. After each I was promised an offer would be forthcoming, however afterwards there was radio silence for weeks. Finally I received a form email stating that they had chosen a better candidate (not true, as the job is still up on the online boards). I spent many hours and some money preparing for, traveling to, and partaking in these interviews—the very least I expected is a personal email from one of my interviewers letting me know the decision. Very shabby, impersonal treatment.

The office is beautiful, but the vast army of worker bees all have their heads-down, typing away stressfully. They don't look particularly happy. It also seems like there is a strongly drawn line one has to toe—a very consultant way of dressing, speaking, and carrying oneself.

Interviewers were very nice and seemed relaxed. They weren't fear-based interrogators (I've experienced these at several other companies). I had a good feeling about the company based on my interactions with them. There were a few questions that were tricky (see below), and one couldn't help but devise a BS answer to them. I wish they had only asked me to speak about my work, not about my personality or how clean my desk is.

I get the idea that the base pay is very low. However, overtime is paid (and apparently there is a lot of overtime) and there are two bonuses. But I don't think the total package amounts to what I'd expect from a good firm with lots of work right in the middle of the city. How is someone supposed to pay rent out of the low base pay? Perhaps my stated expectations were out of line with what they were offering, hence the radio silence and form email.

Interview Questions
    • What would your coworkers say was your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Architectural Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler in October 2014.

I met with someone I knew from the firm casually over lunch when I was interested. They said they were hiring a lot of new people so to check out the website. Saw a posting for technical designer in the lifestyle group. Applied online and heard back about 2 weeks later. Scheduled my first interview which was with 2 project managers. It went really well and I felt confident. Was typical architectural interview (i.e. walking through portfolio, previous experience, and creative/technical skill set). Heard back about 2 weeks later scheduled my second interview. Was supposed to be with 3 people, but only 1 could make it, also a project manager. Didn't feel quite as confident, but felt like the same sort of interview as the first. Heard back about a week later, but because of holiday scheduled my third interview for 3 weeks later. First talked to the Project Director and they explained more about what the specific studio was after briefly reviewing my portfolio. Then met with the Partner briefly talked about philosophy, what I wanted to do at Gensler, ect. Then met with the Studio Director and received/walked through the offer.

Interview Questions
    • All where pretty basic interview questions, What do you mean by pigeonholed, What did you get most out of school   Answer Question
    I took a day to think about the start date

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Gensler.

Several interviews to get in. Plan on the at least a month if not more for the whole process. Plan on meeting with several different people. Plan on thoughtful and different questions in addition to the usual interview schtick.

Interview Questions
    pretty straight forward. Not a lot of back and forth, but I felt their offer was very attractive.

Architectural/Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gensler in July 2014.

I was called in for an interview after submitting my portfolio through their website. A few of my friends had taken positions at the company and said I too may be interested. After about a week after submitting my portfolio online I received a call from the HR department and they scheduled an interview with me. They were very kind and flexible to my scheduling needs. I was interviewed by three people and the entire process took around 1.5 hours. It was very casual and all of the people I spoke with were very kind and respectful, but not intimidating. I was asked to bring a portfolio and after hearing a bit about the company we reviewed a few projects from my portfolio. They asked about my education and other questions to get a feel for my experience as a designer. I asked a few questions about the company and what kind of jobs they were getting involved in as well.

Interview Questions
    • I forgot the exact wording of the questions but basically it was a "tell me about yourself" type question.   View Answer

Senior Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gensler.

There are some clinical aspects in that you must submit online even if you've been in contact with actual people. I went thru 2 meetings- one an interview, second was the offer.