Gensler Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.7

Interior Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler.

Interview

Multiple interviews were scheduled to go over my experience, skills, portfolio and in order to meet several different supervisors and managers. It was a thorough process. Gensler puts a lot of time and effort into hiring the correct people, probably because new employees are treated well and invested in right from the beginning.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how much overtime I currently worked, which should have been a sign.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary negotiation went on through emails and phone calls.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gensler (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Worst interview experience I have ever had. I had a phone screen and 2 face to face interviews, to find out the position was "eliminated." Which I had to find out by reaching out to them after 3.5 weeks. I think they need to keep in mind they were being interviewed as well. A lot of miscommunication and back and forth. Also a lot of wait time between interview/next steps. As a potential candidate, I felt that the urgency of hiring for this role was not apparent. Though everyone I did encounter with was very friendly and professional. I think that company is awesome, location and office is incredible! I hope this feedback is taken seriously for potential candidates in the admin/hr roles as they might need someone to help with these gaps in communication and process.

Interview Questions

• A lot about my experience and situational type of questions about ideas, process, and projects.   1 Answer

Gensler Response

Jul 20, 2015 – Gensler Response

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your interview experience with Gensler. We are pleased that you found our recruiting staff and interviewers friendly and professional and that you were ... More

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gensler.

Interview

I basically applied online and after that I did a Skype interview. Everything was easy, my interviewers were really nice and they just wanted to know more about myself, my experience and design process.

Interview Questions

• How do you describe your design process?   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Gensler (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Three interviews. They were pleasant, but didn't seem to actually have an opening. I could not figure out why they kept calling me back if there was no open position.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I had handled difficult clients in the past.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gensler.

Interview

The interview went well, although I thought it was generally redundant. Typical showcase of projects and explaining your interests. I practically showed my later works and best works. They seemed pretty interested. I interviewed with interior designers, which was odd I thought due to the fact that I was an architecture student. They just told me that they would be in contact with me. Contact was made about a week later and I accepted the offer.

Junior Interior Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gensler in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online/ Gensler requested full portfolio and set up an interview upon seeing entire portfolio. Se up Skype interview for a week later. Interview was with two employees who were very helpful and knowledgeable

Entry Level Interior Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Gensler.

Interview

Referral through a Gensler employee. I interviewed with two directors who were very tired, therefore I mainly presented my work, and didn't feel pressured during the interview. They asked casual conversation questions, portfolio questions, then salary expectations. They said the HR would contact me in the next few days. After 5 days or so of not hearing, I contacted them. Then the HR called me while multi tasking on other things, quickly explaining the offer, also not having a full understanding of my background. I thought this was unprofessional and disappointing for a company with Gensler's reputation. Though I eventually negotiated slightly and accepted the offer. I always remembered the HR's attitude now as a sign of how corporate treatment can feel.

Interview Questions

Gensler Response

Mar 25, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share with us where we missed the mark! One of our focus areas this year is to improve each candidate’s experience during the interview process. We apologize ... More

Project Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gensler (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews with diverse groups of project managers and principals over the course of several weeks. Conversations were professional but pretty casual; portfolio is reviewed but beyond just professional competence they seem interested in personality and culture fit. The role remained a bit ambiguous, seemed they were trying to figure that out as we went through the conversations. No discussion of compensation until offer. There's a little less flexibility as there is a billing structure.

Interview Questions

• If this were to work out for the long term, where would you see yourself within the firm in ten years time?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied via the online system, got a request to come in for an interview a few days later. Had two interviews with the studio team, then was called into review an offer, which I accepted. Very quick process (just over 2 weeks) and very easy. Everyone was extremely helpful and provided lots of great information.

Interview Questions

• What was your favourite project you have managed?   1 Answer

Job Captain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gensler (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

3 rounds - took a lot of time to get through. First round involved general introduction and background. It took about 1.5 hours. Second round detailed discussion on skill set and portfolio. It also involved some questions around technical skills and design background. Whole round took about 2.5 hours. The third round was around cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your portfolio and explain the projects   Answer Question