Gensler

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.7

Entry Level Interior Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Gensler.

Referral through a Gensler employee. I interviewed with two directors who were very tired, therefore I mainly presented my work, and didn't feel pressured during the interview. They asked casual conversation questions, portfolio questions, then salary expectations. They said the HR would contact me in the next few days. After 5 days or so of not hearing, I contacted them. Then the HR called me while multi tasking on other things, quickly explaining the offer, also not having a full understanding of my background. I thought this was unprofessional and disappointing for a company with Gensler's reputation. Though I eventually negotiated slightly and accepted the offer. I always remembered the HR's attitude now as a sign of how corporate treatment can feel.

Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gensler.

Generally speaking, this was a very good experience. Three people interviewed me online at the same time but it was very relaxing. We talked a lot about my portfolio with sharing screen. The other questions I remembered go as the following: What do you want to gain from the experience? What is your related experience?

Interior Designer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gensler.

I applied online, got a phone call to schedule a video interview a month after applying. They gave me a week to prepare for the interview. The video interview was with an Interior Designer and an Architect.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask many questions, which was difficult not knowing what they wanted to hear.   Answer Question

Junior Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler in January 2015.

Quick reply on application, it has been a slow process since the interview and I have not heard anything back as of yet. The interviewers were young and it seemed like their first time conducting an interview. It felt disorganized and I had to switch into presentation mode rather than a question/answer type interview. Overall the questions were extremely vague like "What's your favorite aspect of design"

Environmental Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Gensler.

I applied for the EGD position online and heard back from Gensler within a week. I was very excited and they wanted to meet for an interview next week in office. Two design lead took my interview and they were very helpful, friendly asked question regarding to my projects, designs. The interview was more than an hour long and they also asked me to go through the projects that I think are worth my qualities and experiences.

Junior Architectural Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Gensler in November 2014.

I initially applied online for the Junior Architectural Designer position in Baltimore, MD, in October and 4 weeks later I received an email from an associate stating they wanted to meet with me further. We scheduled a meeting and on the day of the interview I arrived 10 minutes early. The receptionist greeted me and sat me in a conference room where I waited for some time until the first two associates arrived. We chatted a bit and then I began to explain my professional and academic experience. Moments later the third interviewer walked in a little late and greeted me. I continued to express my background and we reviewed my portfolio. Their attention was constanly interrupted with staff entering the conference room asking banal questions which consumed quite some time. This was absurdley rude. We continued and I began to ask them questions about the firm, workflow, type of projects, etc. The interview lasted about an hour and we wrapped up our conversation. I was informed that I will hear their response from the receptionist, and I asked if I may contact them for any further inquiries, with that they responded negatively and said no. The following day I sent a thank you note to all three associates and one of them responded 'this is a no for me.' Insanely unprofessional and absurd.

Interview Questions
    • None, they asked fairly standard and mundane questions about experience and background.   Answer Question

Senior Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gensler in November 2014.

Gensler has recruitment portal on their website that every candidate has to fill in an application and post portfolio sample. Suggest to select your best work and limit the file sizes to meet their max. Although the interview was very friendly and the interviewers seemed very nice, it was very structured and professional. It was one the best job interview experience I have ever had.. very respectful, punctual and they really take time to get to know you, your abilities and your goals.

Interview Questions
    • Apart from those usual questions asked at an interview (self-introduction, strengths/ weakness etc), some of the questions I found interesting are:
      - What are the challenges you have at your current job and how do you deal with it?
      - What motivates you and how do you keep yourself inspired?

Answer Question

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler.

Two interviews; each a couple of hours long and very intense. After each I was promised an offer would be forthcoming, however afterwards there was radio silence for weeks. Finally I received a form email stating that they had chosen a better candidate (not true, as the job is still up on the online boards). I spent many hours and some money preparing for, traveling to, and partaking in these interviews—the very least I expected is a personal email from one of my interviewers letting me know the decision. Very shabby, impersonal treatment.

The office is beautiful, but the vast army of worker bees all have their heads-down, typing away stressfully. They don't look particularly happy. It also seems like there is a strongly drawn line one has to toe—a very consultant way of dressing, speaking, and carrying oneself.

Interviewers were very nice and seemed relaxed. They weren't fear-based interrogators (I've experienced these at several other companies). I had a good feeling about the company based on my interactions with them. There were a few questions that were tricky (see below), and one couldn't help but devise a BS answer to them. I wish they had only asked me to speak about my work, not about my personality or how clean my desk is.

I get the idea that the base pay is very low. However, overtime is paid (and apparently there is a lot of overtime) and there are two bonuses. But I don't think the total package amounts to what I'd expect from a good firm with lots of work right in the middle of the city. How is someone supposed to pay rent out of the low base pay? Perhaps my stated expectations were out of line with what they were offering, hence the radio silence and form email.

Interview Questions
    • What would your coworkers say was your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gensler.

Applied through their online application site. Got an email a week or two later for a Gotomeeting interview. Had a good chat with the HR and the interviewer who later became my boss.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard interview process. Be prepared to explain your portfolio projects in details.   Answer Question

Architectural Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler in October 2014.

I met with someone I knew from the firm casually over lunch when I was interested. They said they were hiring a lot of new people so to check out the website. Saw a posting for technical designer in the lifestyle group. Applied online and heard back about 2 weeks later. Scheduled my first interview which was with 2 project managers. It went really well and I felt confident. Was typical architectural interview (i.e. walking through portfolio, previous experience, and creative/technical skill set). Heard back about 2 weeks later scheduled my second interview. Was supposed to be with 3 people, but only 1 could make it, also a project manager. Didn't feel quite as confident, but felt like the same sort of interview as the first. Heard back about a week later, but because of holiday scheduled my third interview for 3 weeks later. First talked to the Project Director and they explained more about what the specific studio was after briefly reviewing my portfolio. Then met with the Partner briefly talked about philosophy, what I wanted to do at Gensler, ect. Then met with the Studio Director and received/walked through the offer.

Interview Questions
    • All where pretty basic interview questions, What do you mean by pigeonholed, What did you get most out of school   Answer Question
    I took a day to think about the start date