Gensler

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

Junior Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler in January 2015.

Quick reply on application, it has been a slow process since the interview and I have not heard anything back as of yet. The interviewers were young and it seemed like their first time conducting an interview. It felt disorganized and I had to switch into presentation mode rather than a question/answer type interview. Overall the questions were extremely vague like "What's your favorite aspect of design"

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gensler.

Two interviews; each a couple of hours long and very intense. After each I was promised an offer would be forthcoming, however afterwards there was radio silence for weeks. Finally I received a form email stating that they had chosen a better candidate (not true, as the job is still up on the online boards). I spent many hours and some money preparing for, traveling to, and partaking in these interviews—the very least I expected is a personal email from one of my interviewers letting me know the decision. Very shabby, impersonal treatment.

The office is beautiful, but the vast army of worker bees all have their heads-down, typing away stressfully. They don't look particularly happy. It also seems like there is a strongly drawn line one has to toe—a very consultant way of dressing, speaking, and carrying oneself.

Interviewers were very nice and seemed relaxed. They weren't fear-based interrogators (I've experienced these at several other companies). I had a good feeling about the company based on my interactions with them. There were a few questions that were tricky (see below), and one couldn't help but devise a BS answer to them. I wish they had only asked me to speak about my work, not about my personality or how clean my desk is.

I get the idea that the base pay is very low. However, overtime is paid (and apparently there is a lot of overtime) and there are two bonuses. But I don't think the total package amounts to what I'd expect from a good firm with lots of work right in the middle of the city. How is someone supposed to pay rent out of the low base pay? Perhaps my stated expectations were out of line with what they were offering, hence the radio silence and form email.

Interview Questions
    • What would your coworkers say was your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Was Not Informed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gensler.

Typically a four stage interview before you are made an offer

Interview Questions
    Things are mostly pushed at you