Gentex (Michigan) Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in May 2012.

I interviewed with an HR Representative on the phone first, and then I did an on-site interview during which I interviewed with HR, 3 or 4 engineers and with the hiring manager. They followed up within a few days with an offer, didn't leave me hanging for long. I thought it was odd that HR questioned me on whether my parents were engineers or not.

Two of the interviewers took me to lunch and just chatted socially during lunch. They asked about my hobbies and interests, I think they were trying to make sure I'd enjoy living in a smaller town. I was presented with a code snippet during lunch and asked to find the error, but it was fairly informal and the engineer just wanted to see how I responded to the question. He said it wasn't a deal breaker if I didn't identify the error. I did identify it :)

I rated this interview difficult because they actually had me code on a whiteboard and many companies don't require this type of problem solving during an interview. I wish this was a standard interviewing practice and I think it should be standard for all software engineering positions, but it's not. It made me respect the company and the team more for thoroughly vetting their candidates.

Interview Questions
  • Given a bit manipulation question, write the C code to implement the solution on a whiteboard. I don't remember the exact question, but things like, given an integer, produce a string encoding the binary value of the integer.   Answer Question

I had another offer with another company. This company seemed nice, but I was concerned about whether there was a lot of room for career growth. (IE team lead, manager, etc). They are small enough that they couldn't provide secure expectation for career-growth.

Other Interview Reviews for Gentex (Michigan)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in January 2012.

I had a phone interview with an HR rep, followed by a phone interview by an Engineering Manager. After I passed that I was invited to go on site. On site they had about 4 tech interviews with engineers of varying designations and an HR interview.
    The technical interviews consisted of C programming questions, bit manipulations, static volatile keywords, ability to identify memory leaks in C code.
    The HR interview was behavioral

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in January 2011.

Hiring process was good, but intimidating. The day of the interview was a full day, where I interviewed with about 6 different people. Each quizzed me on my knowledge of software, my history, etc.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in February 2012.

I submitted my resume on a career fair at school. After a few days, I was given an on-site interview. No phone screens. The onsite was like most on-site interviews, 6 people from different groups, each for 45 mins. Some of them asked about your resume, basic C stuff, one round of behavioral question from 2 HRs. Oh, you have a chance to write code on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked me to estimate how many lines of code I had written, and what was the longest code I wrote. I had never noticed them before.   Answer Question