Gentex (Michigan) Interview Questions

Updated Mar 5, 2015
Updated Mar 5, 2015

2.7

Production Support Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in February 2015.

When I was on site, I was first interviewed briefly by the HR department, then interviewed by two different engineers. The people in HR told me that the number to keep in mind is 60K for a new hire, but the only way you get there is to pick up an off shift and then rely on profit sharing. Each interview had their own questions along with the standard company questions. After each interview with the engineers, they took me on a tour of a few of the plant floors and they showed off some of the technology they make.

Software Test Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

Submitted my resume through a college career fair. Was contacted my an HR recruiter requesting a phone interview to discuss potential employment options at the company. This led to a phone interview with the software test manager. Later I was asked to come in for about 5 one-hour long interviews. A few weeks later I was called back for a second on-site interview that was a bit shorter. The entire process took almost 2 months.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in December 2014.

Two interviews, initially very informal with potential manager, supervisor and manager in IT department, second more formal, answering questions provided by CEO.

The first was held in the cafeteria area, (disconcertingly) behind doors telling guests to go to a different door. Free coffee and soda and snack vending machines were available. All three were surprised that I hadn't already met with HR.

References and employability were determined between interviews.

The second interview was in an office, and was almost entirely read off a printout of (I'm guessing) an email. I was then given a short tour of the part of the facility under the potential manager's control.

Interview Questions
    Offer was better than I was expecting, despite being told Gentex has lower than average salaries, so didn't try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

Met with a recruiter at a career and was asked to visit the plant for an interview. They paid for my trip to get there as well as lunch and lodging. I met with an HR specialist and 2 department managers during my time. The questions were more about my thinking process, hobbies, and leadership abilities.

Interview Questions
    • What type of company would I start if I was given the applicable necessities.   Answer Question

IT Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in January 2014.

First interview was over the phone and mostly technical talk. Second interview was in person. Very comfortable environment and everyone was friendly and easy to talk to. The employees seem to enjoy working for Gentex. Very focused on family first. Focused on staying ahead in the technical area.

Production Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

I was hired through Manpower because I was new and temporary. Interview was simple and over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of something unexpected that happened, and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Zeeland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in October 2013.

After meeting with one of the recruiter at the job fair, I was invited for on site interview. I was interviewed by two separate engineers at two different building. They each walked me around their facility and production line then interviewed me at a random corner of the building, like a cafeteria or lounge.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly just personality questions, nothing technical. They check if you did your homework regarding their company and that's about it.   Answer Question

Starting salary was a bit low to be considered for relocation.

Repair Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

At the time (1998) there really wasn't much of a hiring/interview process. Gentex was growing in massive leaps and needed people. I came well researched and prepared for all sorts of electronics tests and questions but those things never transpired.
    Later at the company I learned that the person conducting my interview is not a prepared manager. His interviews, like everything else he does, is really only surface deep.

None

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zeeland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

Overall pretty straight forward. Met with about 6 people and interviewed with each for about 45 minutes. Everyone was real easy to talk to and able to answer any questions I had. Certain people couldn't meet during my interview so I got thrown around a little bit. Also, my recruiter, who I was in contact with for months after my interview, could never give me a final decision.

Interview Questions
    • nothing technical everything was personality questions. Really interested in my high school education.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zeeland, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in May 2012.

I interviewed with an HR Representative on the phone first, and then I did an on-site interview during which I interviewed with HR, 3 or 4 engineers and with the hiring manager. They followed up within a few days with an offer, didn't leave me hanging for long. I thought it was odd that HR questioned me on whether my parents were engineers or not.

Two of the interviewers took me to lunch and just chatted socially during lunch. They asked about my hobbies and interests, I think they were trying to make sure I'd enjoy living in a smaller town. I was presented with a code snippet during lunch and asked to find the error, but it was fairly informal and the engineer just wanted to see how I responded to the question. He said it wasn't a deal breaker if I didn't identify the error. I did identify it :)

I rated this interview difficult because they actually had me code on a whiteboard and many companies don't require this type of problem solving during an interview. I wish this was a standard interviewing practice and I think it should be standard for all software engineering positions, but it's not. It made me respect the company and the team more for thoroughly vetting their candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Given a bit manipulation question, write the C code to implement the solution on a whiteboard. I don't remember the exact question, but things like, given an integer, produce a string encoding the binary value of the integer.   Answer Question

I had another offer with another company. This company seemed nice, but I was concerned about whether there was a lot of room for career growth. (IE team lead, manager, etc). They are small enough that they couldn't provide secure expectation for career-growth.