Gentex (Michigan)

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.7

Software Test Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

Submitted my resume through a college career fair. Was contacted my an HR recruiter requesting a phone interview to discuss potential employment options at the company. This led to a phone interview with the software test manager. Later I was asked to come in for about 5 one-hour long interviews. A few weeks later I was called back for a second on-site interview that was a bit shorter. The entire process took almost 2 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

Met with a recruiter at a career and was asked to visit the plant for an interview. They paid for my trip to get there as well as lunch and lodging. I met with an HR specialist and 2 department managers during my time. The questions were more about my thinking process, hobbies, and leadership abilities.

Interview Questions
    • What type of company would I start if I was given the applicable necessities.   Answer Question

IT Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in January 2014.

First interview was over the phone and mostly technical talk. Second interview was in person. Very comfortable environment and everyone was friendly and easy to talk to. The employees seem to enjoy working for Gentex. Very focused on family first. Focused on staying ahead in the technical area.

Production Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

I was hired through Manpower because I was new and temporary. Interview was simple and over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of something unexpected that happened, and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in October 2013.

After meeting with one of the recruiter at the job fair, I was invited for on site interview. I was interviewed by two separate engineers at two different building. They each walked me around their facility and production line then interviewed me at a random corner of the building, like a cafeteria or lounge.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly just personality questions, nothing technical. They check if you did your homework regarding their company and that's about it.   Answer Question

Starting salary was a bit low to be considered for relocation.

Repair Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

At the time (1998) there really wasn't much of a hiring/interview process. Gentex was growing in massive leaps and needed people. I came well researched and prepared for all sorts of electronics tests and questions but those things never transpired.
    Later at the company I learned that the person conducting my interview is not a prepared manager. His interviews, like everything else he does, is really only surface deep.

None

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan).

Overall pretty straight forward. Met with about 6 people and interviewed with each for about 45 minutes. Everyone was real easy to talk to and able to answer any questions I had. Certain people couldn't meet during my interview so I got thrown around a little bit. Also, my recruiter, who I was in contact with for months after my interview, could never give me a final decision.

Interview Questions
    • nothing technical everything was personality questions. Really interested in my high school education.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in May 2012.

I interviewed with an HR Representative on the phone first, and then I did an on-site interview during which I interviewed with HR, 3 or 4 engineers and with the hiring manager. They followed up within a few days with an offer, didn't leave me hanging for long. I thought it was odd that HR questioned me on whether my parents were engineers or not.

Two of the interviewers took me to lunch and just chatted socially during lunch. They asked about my hobbies and interests, I think they were trying to make sure I'd enjoy living in a smaller town. I was presented with a code snippet during lunch and asked to find the error, but it was fairly informal and the engineer just wanted to see how I responded to the question. He said it wasn't a deal breaker if I didn't identify the error. I did identify it :)

I rated this interview difficult because they actually had me code on a whiteboard and many companies don't require this type of problem solving during an interview. I wish this was a standard interviewing practice and I think it should be standard for all software engineering positions, but it's not. It made me respect the company and the team more for thoroughly vetting their candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Given a bit manipulation question, write the C code to implement the solution on a whiteboard. I don't remember the exact question, but things like, given an integer, produce a string encoding the binary value of the integer.   Answer Question

I had another offer with another company. This company seemed nice, but I was concerned about whether there was a lot of room for career growth. (IE team lead, manager, etc). They are small enough that they couldn't provide secure expectation for career-growth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in February 2012.

I interviewed in three buildings at the Gentex complex and moved from group to group, sometimes interviewing with one person sometimes two and I was taken out to lunch. I was asked typical questions that were behavioral and technical. Gentex also likes to ask some personal questions to gauge whether you are a good fit for the area around Gentex, like hobbies. They will interview a group of candidates then hold a meeting to decide if anyone that you interviewed with wants to recruit you. Overall it was a very good experience, nice people with great attitudes.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked by almost all interviewers, "What kind of hobbies or activities do you like to do?"   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zeeland, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gentex (Michigan) in January 2012.

I had a phone interview with an HR rep, followed by a phone interview by an Engineering Manager. After I passed that I was invited to go on site. On site they had about 4 tech interviews with engineers of varying designations and an HR interview.
    The technical interviews consisted of C programming questions, bit manipulations, static volatile keywords, ability to identify memory leaks in C code.
    The HR interview was behavioral