Genzyme Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.8

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Genzyme (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Unbelievably slow and inefficient. Applied online, got an email 6 months later to set up phone call. HR rep would set up screening calls and then not call. Took weeks to schedule in person interview. Then had second round of in person interviews-one with the same person I already met, and she had nothing new to discuss. Next person was 20 min late (for a 30 min slot). Then they added third person who I wasn't scheduled to meet.

I was upfront with my salary requirements in the screening call. HR rep said I never said that to her (why would I lie about something as serious as compensation) and said they were thinking more like $40K less than I wanted. She then made a soft offer $25K less than I currently make. I said no multiple times and she kept harassing me to work with her. I wasn't trying to negotiate, I was not interested.

I also found out later that she disclosed my salary request to one of my references, as in I may not need to speak with you because the candidate is asking WAY too much money. My reference forwarded me the email so I saw it with my own eyes. Completely unprofessional and not a place I ever want to work. Am considering reporting to her manager how terrible she has been to work with.

Interview Questions

Salary was too low, HR was a disaster, would have been a commute, no work from home options.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA).

Interview

Two telephonic interviews- one with HR and the other with hiring manger. On site interview was almost full day interview that included presentation, group interview, 1:1 and lab tour. People from different sub groups interacted with me during the interview. It started with basic question and lead to trouble shooting questions.

Interview Questions

• Mainly from your resume. Asked about couple of trouble shooting scenarios.   Answer Question

Principal Regulatory Affairs Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

The hiring process was quiet smooth and quick as I was called in for face to face interview directly without a phone screening. I had a small general conversation with one of the HR rep within a week of applying for this position. All in all a smooth experience and all the interviewers were very professional. I actually got the denial email from hiring manager and also got feedback on my interview performance and areas of improvement. Based on that conversation I believe I did make a cut but somebody was better than me else you normally don't hear back from the hiring manager and definitely not a feedback on your performance.

Interview Questions

• All the questions asked were standard questions, in fact the interview was more of a conversation than an interview.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA).

Interview

Meet with multiple people. Start with HR, then Hiring manager, then the rest of the team. Scientists individually, but associates are grouped together as a tribunal. Then back to HR. For second interview, you will meet director team again, maybe will give small seminar.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Genzyme doesn't require a formal psych evaluation style interview that places like Merck use. Basically you will be asked about your experience etc. and things relevant to the actual position write up.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Definitely negotiate. The offer is below market and if you accept it, that salary will blunt your future salary raises/promotions for your career.

Principal Production Planning Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA).

Interview

I was an internal transfer, so I met with the Plant Manager to discuss the position. I submitted my resume to HR and they processed the paperwork to move me into my new role. The interview process for external applicants is much more detailed and complex. You will need to submit your resume online, and you will be contacted by HR if they are interested. Typically you will go through multiple interview sessions before a hiring decision is made. You can negotiate your salary, but there are salary ranges for each job level, and they will not typically exceed the maximum amount for the grade.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since this was an internal transfer, the negotiation phase was simple. The position was one level higher than my current job, so a slight pay increase was added to my salary.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for the position. I had a great phone call with the hiring manager and was invited for an on-site interview. The travel arrangements were made to my specifications. Genzyme even sent a driver to pick me up from the airport. The interview itself went fine, but after a week, I found out from the recruiter that Genzyme had frozen the position and couldn't hire. The hiring manager said that she'd contact me but never did.

Senior Training Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA).

Interview

The interview process was smooth and quick. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone screen. After that, I was invited on-site for an interview. The on-site interview was about 2.5 hrs and consisted of 30 minute sessions with each of the following: the hiring manager, their manager, and 2 other department managers. After the on-site interview, I was asked to come in and present a 10-15 minute presentation. In addition to the 4 people I had already interviewed with, there were 2 other people observing the presentation. I was contacted a few days later with an offer. Overall, the entire process took about 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a small sign-on bonus

QC Analyst Interview

Interview

Very relaxed interview with 4 different individuals. Was not at all as tense as expected. I was made to fell very comfortable and treated very well. The interviewers were very nice friendly people. The questions were all work related. None of the questions were the typical nonsense so prevalent these days. It was all to the point and just like it should be.

I wish all interviews were so correctly done.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult. The most unexpected was preparing for the difficult phoney baloney only to get straightforward good old fashioned decency and honesty. Pretty sure I just ran into four very decent people.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fast and acceptable. HR person was the only bad part.

Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

The person you will be working under will interview you first followed by an interview by the group leader. The overall interview process was overall relaxed. They did not ask many technical questions and it is mainly your job to ask questions about the position, company, and group. It is also important to really show that you are interested specifically in the field the position is related to or in a specific aspect of the job (i.e. a certain type of bioreactor). The interviewers spent a lot of time telling me about the position and my numerous questions definitely showed them my immense interest. Another big tip, especially if your interviewers are as relaxed as mine, try to think of the interview as a conversation with long-lost friends that you have just reconnected with.

Interview Questions

• "Does this kind of job interest you"   1 Answer

Negotiation

A Genzyme HR called me about the offer. A third-party company is in charge of payroll for the interns / co-ops and they will contact you with forms. For interns / Co-op, I don't think salary is negotiable.

Validation Specialist I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Genzyme (Cambridge, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

Interviewed at two Genzyme locations: Framingham MA and Cambridge MA. Recruiter called to conduct initial phone screen- asked questions regarding prior experience, desire to relocate, why I was looking to leave current job. Next step was phone conversation with hiring manager, then moved on to personal interview. Company covered all travel expenses and arranged for hotel. Interview was conducted with hiring manager, other team members, director of department, and recruiter (all separately). Interviews were relaxed yet professional, questions were not difficult or unreasonable.

Did not receive offer on either position. Received feedback regarding candidacy status only from recruiter (and only after followup email asking for it), no helpful feedback otherwise. Job descriptions are not accurate and do not specify what experience is favored- even if you meet all the requirements as listed you will still be passed over.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?   Answer Question