Genzyme Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Quality Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Didn't hear anything back initially, and was checking email daily. One morning on my way to work a month or so later, the hiring manager emailed to let me know that the interview schedule had been adjusted and to ask for a different person that morning. Wait... what? The HR folks had never contacted me with the invite. Didn't go to spam/junk, didn't go to old email, just flat out flubbed the invite. So that's awkward, and I never got confirmation that they owned up to it to the hiring manager. Was excited about the role, so I was upset about anything that might harm their perception. When the interview was rescheduled and finally occurred, it was fair, efficient, and straight-forward. Very nice people. Didn't get an offer, and suspect they filled the position with a qualified internal candidate, but nevertheless, was a pleasant experience when it finally happened.

Interview Questions

• All questions were related to content in the job description. Nothing wild or creative. Very direct and simply probed for job knowledge that a qualified candidate should have for that position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genzyme (Waltham, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing agency regarding this position. The recruiter thought that I would be a good fit for it based on my resume, so I scheduled a 30-minute phone interview with her. Our conversation went well, and she arranged me on site interview 1 week after. On the day of the scheduled interview, I arrived early and the hiring manager is so nice that she rescheduled the time. During the interview, I talked to two scientists in the project team. As they were telling me about the job, and asking questions about my research experience and eligibility for working in USA since I was using my OPT. At the very end of the interview, the hiring manager walked me out at the end, told me they would make a decision soon.

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genzyme (Woburn, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I've met with three persons of the work group - one by one, approximately half an hour with each. All of them were scientists, not HR persons. Very kind and enthusiastic people, no pushing, no strange questions like 'What salad dressing would you be?' or anything, just about my experience and skills. They told me a lot about their work, actually, I was listening more than talking myself. Last interview with the group manager, she was telling me about the department structure, perspectives, and the role in the whole company. She promised to give me the follow up ASAP, and indeed, wrote me in a week after the interview. Unfortunately, I didn't fit the team due to overqualification, but got a really nice impression of their environment and research.

Interview Questions

• What type of manager I like and dislike most?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Genzyme (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Unbelievably slow and inefficient. Applied online, got an email 6 months later to set up phone call. HR rep would set up screening calls and then not call. Took weeks to schedule in person interview. Then had second round of in person interviews-one with the same person I already met, and she had nothing new to discuss. Next person was 20 min late (for a 30 min slot). Then they added third person who I wasn't scheduled to meet. I was upfront with my salary requirements in the screening call. HR rep said I never said that to her (why would I lie about something as serious as compensation) and said they were thinking more like $40K less than I wanted. She then made a soft offer $25K less than I currently make. I said no multiple times and she kept harassing me to work with her. I wasn't trying to negotiate, I was not interested. I also found out later that she disclosed my salary request to one of my references, as in I may not need to speak with you because the candidate is asking WAY too much money. My reference forwarded me the email so I saw it with my own eyes. Completely unprofessional and not a place I ever want to work. Am considering reporting to her manager how terrible she has been to work with.

Interview Questions

Salary was too low, HR was a disaster, would have been a commute, no work from home options.

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA).

Interview

Two telephonic interviews- one with HR and the other with hiring manger. On site interview was almost full day interview that included presentation, group interview, 1:1 and lab tour. People from different sub groups interacted with me during the interview. It started with basic question and lead to trouble shooting questions.

Interview Questions

• Mainly from your resume. Asked about couple of trouble shooting scenarios.   Answer Question

Principal Regulatory Affairs Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Genzyme (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

The hiring process was quiet smooth and quick as I was called in for face to face interview directly without a phone screening. I had a small general conversation with one of the HR rep within a week of applying for this position. All in all a smooth experience and all the interviewers were very professional. I actually got the denial email from hiring manager and also got feedback on my interview performance and areas of improvement. Based on that conversation I believe I did make a cut but somebody was better than me else you normally don't hear back from the hiring manager and definitely not a feedback on your performance.

Interview Questions

• All the questions asked were standard questions, in fact the interview was more of a conversation than an interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA).

Interview

Meet with multiple people. Start with HR, then Hiring manager, then the rest of the team. Scientists individually, but associates are grouped together as a tribunal. Then back to HR. For second interview, you will meet director team again, maybe will give small seminar.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Genzyme doesn't require a formal psych evaluation style interview that places like Merck use. Basically you will be asked about your experience etc. and things relevant to the actual position write up.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Definitely negotiate. The offer is below market and if you accept it, that salary will blunt your future salary raises/promotions for your career.

Principal Production Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA).

Interview

I was an internal transfer, so I met with the Plant Manager to discuss the position. I submitted my resume to HR and they processed the paperwork to move me into my new role. The interview process for external applicants is much more detailed and complex. You will need to submit your resume online, and you will be contacted by HR if they are interested. Typically you will go through multiple interview sessions before a hiring decision is made. You can negotiate your salary, but there are salary ranges for each job level, and they will not typically exceed the maximum amount for the grade.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since this was an internal transfer, the negotiation phase was simple. The position was one level higher than my current job, so a slight pay increase was added to my salary.

Epidemiologist/Bio Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for the position. I had a great phone call with the hiring manager and was invited for an on-site interview. The travel arrangements were made to my specifications. Genzyme even sent a driver to pick me up from the airport. The interview itself went fine, but after a week, I found out from the recruiter that Genzyme had frozen the position and couldn't hire. The hiring manager said that she'd contact me but never did.

Senior Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA).

Interview

The interview process was smooth and quick. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone screen. After that, I was invited on-site for an interview. The on-site interview was about 2.5 hrs and consisted of 30 minute sessions with each of the following: the hiring manager, their manager, and 2 other department managers. After the on-site interview, I was asked to come in and present a 10-15 minute presentation. In addition to the 4 people I had already interviewed with, there were 2 other people observing the presentation. I was contacted a few days later with an offer. Overall, the entire process took about 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a small sign-on bonus