Genzyme

2.6

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genzyme.

Meet with multiple people. Start with HR, then Hiring manager, then the rest of the team. Scientists individually, but associates are grouped together as a tribunal. Then back to HR. For second interview, you will meet director team again, maybe will give small seminar.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual. Genzyme doesn't require a formal psych evaluation style interview that places like Merck use. Basically you will be asked about your experience etc. and things relevant to the actual position write up.   Answer Question
    Definitely negotiate. The offer is below market and if you accept it, that salary will blunt your future salary raises/promotions for your career.

Principal Production Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genzyme.

I was an internal transfer, so I met with the Plant Manager to discuss the position. I submitted my resume to HR and they processed the paperwork to move me into my new role. The interview process for external applicants is much more detailed and complex. You will need to submit your resume online, and you will be contacted by HR if they are interested. Typically you will go through multiple interview sessions before a hiring decision is made. You can negotiate your salary, but there are salary ranges for each job level, and they will not typically exceed the maximum amount for the grade.

Interview Questions
    Since this was an internal transfer, the negotiation phase was simple. The position was one level higher than my current job, so a slight pay increase was added to my salary.

Senior Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genzyme.

The interview process was smooth and quick. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone screen. After that, I was invited on-site for an interview. The on-site interview was about 2.5 hrs and consisted of 30 minute sessions with each of the following: the hiring manager, their manager, and 2 other department managers. After the on-site interview, I was asked to come in and present a 10-15 minute presentation. In addition to the 4 people I had already interviewed with, there were 2 other people observing the presentation. I was contacted a few days later with an offer. Overall, the entire process took about 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate a small sign-on bonus

QC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Very relaxed interview with 4 different individuals. Was not at all as tense as expected. I was made to fell very comfortable and treated very well. The interviewers were very nice friendly people. The questions were all work related. None of the questions were the typical nonsense so prevalent these days. It was all to the point and just like it should be.

I wish all interviews were so correctly done.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. The most unexpected was preparing for the difficult phoney baloney only to get straightforward good old fashioned decency and honesty. Pretty sure I just ran into four very decent people.   Answer Question
    Fast and acceptable. HR person was the only bad part.

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genzyme in March 2013.

The person you will be working under will interview you first followed by an interview by the group leader. The overall interview process was overall relaxed. They did not ask many technical questions and it is mainly your job to ask questions about the position, company, and group. It is also important to really show that you are interested specifically in the field the position is related to or in a specific aspect of the job (i.e. a certain type of bioreactor). The interviewers spent a lot of time telling me about the position and my numerous questions definitely showed them my immense interest. Another big tip, especially if your interviewers are as relaxed as mine, try to think of the interview as a conversation with long-lost friends that you have just reconnected with.

Interview Questions
    A Genzyme HR called me about the offer. A third-party company is in charge of payroll for the interns / co-ops and they will contact you with forms. For interns / Co-op, I don't think salary is negotiable.

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Genzyme in September 2012.

Questions related to previous experiencs and techniques

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Genzyme in March 2012.

After applying online in October 2011, i was contacted by Genzyme a week later, had a phone interview with the hiring manager, and the senior staff. 2 days later, i was contacted by the HR and was invited to give a talk. I gave them several options for dates, but they never got back to me. I sent the HR manager an email to request a date for the onsite interview, but he responded that he was still waiting for the hiring manager to get back to him. They finally contacted me in February and explained to me that because of a hiring freeze and the merger with Sanofi everything was delayed. I went for an onsite interview, gave a talk. It took them a while to check the references. I got another offer in the meantime, and finally the Genzyme offer came in 3 weeks after the interview.

Fair, but I had 2 offers, and it was easier to negotiate. If you are reasonable, they want you to be happy.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Genzyme in February 2012.

I was first contacted by someone from HR via telephone, who asked me basic questions about my experience, why I'm looking for a new job, and why am I interested in the position. I was then contacted a few days later (also by phone) by the hiring manager, who asked me more in depth questions about my experience as well as about my role in my current lab/relationship with my colleagues. About a week after that I went in for an in person interview, where I met the same rep from HR, the hiring manager, and several of my future colleagues (each individually). The atmosphere was very relaxed, I did not ever feel as though I was being interrogated and the questions prompted more of a discussion than an interview. I was very nervous going in but quickly was made at ease. They answered all of my questions happily, and the HR rep was ready to discuss benefits (which I was always taught not to ask about during an interview). The interview was long (3ish hrs) but the time really flew, and everyone was very helpful and kind. Overall it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    I was offered much more than I expected, and so did not negotiate. I did have to discuss a vacation which I had already planned before applying, and they were happy to accommodate without an issue.

QC Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Genzyme in November 2011.

Extremely lengthy and requirements did not seem appropriate for the position.
    Difficult to get feedback from HR, especially since process from application to 1st phone interview was almost 3 months...by the 4th month I had decided to forget about the position and then I was called back for a full day of interview and presentation, which resulted in never hearing back.
    Once I contacted HR, I was told they needed more experience. I guess their needs changed since the position was initially 2 levels lower than the one I was actually interviewing for.
    They don't seem organized enough to know what they need upfront.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't so much as the interview as it was communicating with the company   Answer Question
    • The needs of the department must not have been clear to them since they wasted my time for over 5 months   Answer Question

Research and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genzyme in July 2010.

I was invited to meet several groups. I arrived and was taken up the elevator with a small group of people. We were escorted to a large boardroom where folding tables had been arranged along the walls. Each bank of tables had a placard with a group name. You could walk around and talk to all or some of the groups. At my meeting I recall seeing people from "Science", "Quality Assurance", and "Manufacturing: Cell Culture". I walked up to some people and just spoke to them about the positions open in there group. For some groups I had to wait in a small line to talk with someone. I had several copies of my resume and almost all of the people I spoke with took one. I have since been called to come in to interview further for two positions.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you switching directions? (ie from academic to private sector)   Answer Question
    • Why are you here? (ie Why did you select to talk to me over here at X table as opposed to those people over there?)   Answer Question