George Mason University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant

Interviewed at George Mason University

Interview Details – Contact by department, apply online. very smooth, no hard time. You have to be a full time student to get hired. They call you first to check your availability and background. One interview is from gta coordinator

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Adjunct Professor Interview

Adjunct Professor
Fairfax, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at George Mason University in April 2013.

Interview Details – Very simple--if you have the education and the desire, it's likely that George Mason University will hire you. Make sure that you are ready for teaching a lo of students as you're likely to be thrown a 100-level course unless you have some major expertise.

Interview Question – Your teaching philosophy. A lot of schools still use this outdated protocol.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Assistant & Coordinator Interview

Assistant & Coordinator

I applied online - interviewed at George Mason University in February 2014.

Interview Details – I have had two experiences applying for two different positions with GMU, and neither in my opinion have been very professional. The first position was posted on my graduate program's listserv, and I responded directly to the hiring individual whose e-mail was provided on the posting about a question I had regarding the position. He answered my question so I then submitted my materials directly to the individual per his request. I received no confirmation of receipt. I followed up a week later and still no response. I eventually just gave up and decided the person had hired someone else.

Second position I applied for, I applied online through the online system and went in for an in-person interview (panel). After the interview, they told me that they would be in touch after in a few weeks. I realized I didn't get the position after following up with them after the interview and receiving no response, not even a "we've extended the offer to someone else e-mail". I eventually found that the offer was extended to someone else after I went on LinkedIn and saw someone's profile with that title. According to the online application system, however, my application is still "in process," which still puzzles me.

Interview Question – Why specifically do you want to work at George Mason? I mentioned my reasons on my cover letter and even during the "chit chat" time before the interview so the question kind of stumped me because it was repetitive.   Answer Question

Summer Instructor Interview

Summer Instructor

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at George Mason University.

Interview Details – Submit name and courses you want to teach to the department, and find two professors who are willing to recommend you. People with more teaching experience generally get what they want to teach and those with less experience may not get their desired class.

Interview Question – As long as you have good support from the professor, they would give you a summer class to teach.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at George Mason University.

Interview Details – Simple mention in the application for PhD program

Interview Question – All was just fine.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director

Interviewed at George Mason University

Interview Details – There are always two steps: The phone interview and the in-person interview. The most difficult part is that usually the in-person interview requires a presentation, even for some entry-level positions.

Each department varies in the amount of time it takes to go through the process, but there isn't a ton of red-tape, so it can go very quickly.

Interview Question – GMU lives by it's stated values, so stick to those. Also, you're going to want to practice for the presentation--I've seen too many top candidate bomb it and not get an offer.   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant
Fairfax, VA

I interviewed at George Mason University in August 2013.

Interview Details – very easy interview. Just asked me basic questions on Networking since my GTA was for Networking.

Interview Question – Was told to build network on packet tracer. Hadn't used packet tracer that much before.   View Answer

Principal Scientist Interview

Principal Scientist
Manassas, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at George Mason University in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was given a choice of either coming to the office for an interview or being interviewed on the phone. I choose to come down because I live close by.

Interview Question – What I want to accomplish in my future.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The hiring person said this is ALL i have to offer now.

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at George Mason University in May 2010.

Interview Details – Was contacted through a friend who worked at the university. Department was looking to fill a vacated spot on the staff. After phone interview and forwarding of transcripts to verigy educational qualifications, appeared for an in person interview.

Interview Question – Went over experience on resume with other staff members. Answered questions on technical background. There were any overly difficult questions, just coverage of all items mentioned on resume.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at George Mason University in April 2013.

Interview Details – This was for a part-time staff position. All applications go through Mason's HR group. I like the website they have and use. Applied through the main HR website in December 2012. Got an email in March from the department I applied to work for letting me know they were interested. Had a 30 minute phone interview with two folks; then met with a team of folks in person about a week later and a one-on-one interview with the head of the department. They got back to me by phone with an offer within a week of the in-person interviews, as promised.

Interview Question – All questions were reasonable and as expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, we did negotiate a little. It went well and we found a fair compromise.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for George Mason University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at George Mason University interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by George Mason University employees and interview candidates.