George Mason University Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.3

Application

I applied online – interviewed at George Mason University.

Interview

You must submit an online resume through the HR website to be considered, period. After my resume made the cut, they emailed me to do a phone screening. Once I passed that hurdle, I was called in for an in-person interview. Classified positions at Mason are always interviewed by committee, which can be intimidating if you've never done it before. But I enjoyed it, because it gave me a good feel for the group and culture.

Interview Questions

• They phrased a potential difficult situation with a student, and asked how I would handle it.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at George Mason University.

Interview

I interviewed as a software developer with the Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study. There were several interviewers involved in the process. I spent approximately 15 minutes with each of them separately. General questions were asked about PHP development as well as basic MySQL syntax.

Receptionist Interview

Interview

The interview wasn't too formal, I was asked the generic interview questions. Interviewer was friendly and informative and answered all the questions I had. She was easy to talk to and she walked me thru the office and met everyone that worked there

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

Contact by department, apply online. very smooth, no hard time. You have to be a full time student to get hired. They call you first to check your availability and background. One interview is from gta coordinator

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Summer Instructor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at George Mason University.

Interview

Submit name and courses you want to teach to the department, and find two professors who are willing to recommend you. People with more teaching experience generally get what they want to teach and those with less experience may not get their desired class.

Interview Questions

• As long as you have good support from the professor, they would give you a summer class to teach.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at George Mason University.

Interview

Simple mention in the application for PhD program

Associate Director Interview

Interview

There are always two steps: The phone interview and the in-person interview. The most difficult part is that usually the in-person interview requires a presentation, even for some entry-level positions.

Each department varies in the amount of time it takes to go through the process, but there isn't a ton of red-tape, so it can go very quickly.

Interview Questions

• GMU lives by it's stated values, so stick to those. Also, you're going to want to practice for the presentation--I've seen too many top candidate bomb it and not get an offer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at George Mason University in February 2014.

Interview

I have had two experiences applying for two different positions with GMU, and neither in my opinion have been very professional. The first position was posted on my graduate program's listserv, and I responded directly to the hiring individual whose e-mail was provided on the posting about a question I had regarding the position. He answered my question so I then submitted my materials directly to the individual per his request. I received no confirmation of receipt. I followed up a week later and still no response. I eventually just gave up and decided the person had hired someone else.

Second position I applied for, I applied online through the online system and went in for an in-person interview (panel). After the interview, they told me that they would be in touch after in a few weeks. I realized I didn't get the position after following up with them after the interview and receiving no response, not even a "we've extended the offer to someone else e-mail". I eventually found that the offer was extended to someone else after I went on LinkedIn and saw someone's profile with that title. According to the online application system, however, my application is still "in process," which still puzzles me.

Interview Questions

• Why specifically do you want to work at George Mason? I mentioned my reasons on my cover letter and even during the "chit chat" time before the interview so the question kind of stumped me because it was repetitive.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

The professor, liked my work in his class and hence hired me for this position, no questions or formal interview, only research interest.

Principal Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at George Mason University (Manassas, VA) in August 2013.

Interview

I was given a choice of either coming to the office for an interview or being interviewed on the phone. I choose to come down because I live close by.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The hiring person said this is ALL i have to offer now.