George Washington University

George Washington University Administrative Manager Interview Questions

3.3

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at George Washington University.

The Administrative Manager position was advertised on the GWU website. There was an online form that had to be completed, and then cover letter & resume were requested as attachments. References were included in the job form. Invited for a 30 min phone interview by email 1.5 months later.

Interview Questions
  • Phone interview:

The panel interview involved three people from human resources. One main person asked the questions, and the other two panelists asked 1 or 2 questions each. They were filtering final candidates for the on-campus interviews.

These were the questions for the 30 minute phone interview:

1) Tell us about yourself
    2) Tell us what you know of what an Administrative Manager does.
    3) Tell us about your administrative experience
    4) Tell us why you want to work at GWU
    5) Did you seek & complete any outside training to improve your performance as an employee (out of your own initiative)?
    6) Tell us about your tech skills (Microsoft products, databases like Banner, web design, social media, etc.)
    7) How long have you been unemployed? What have you been doing during this period of unemployment?
    8) If we contacted your previous employers, what would all of them say about you?
    9) Why do you feel that you are the best fit for this position?
    10) Do you have any questions for us?

The questions were straight forward and they weren't confusing. If you share additional information about yourself, be prepared to explain it very quickly and with a minimum amount of words. They will ask follow-up questions if you deviate from the main questions.

It really wasn't that bad. No need to be super nervous (for the phone interview, at least).

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for George Washington University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at George Washington University in January 2011.

Unfortunately, there isn't a choice of "Scheduled for interview, interviewee never showed up" b/c that is exactly what happened to me. Was scheduled for an interview at one of GWUs academic offices - Administrative Manager position - but when I arrived in DC I got lost (of course) and called the office over 30 times but no one answered the phone. It was not during normal lunch hours and I placed those 30+ calls well before my interview was scheduled. After driving around DC for FOUR hours (yes, 4), I pulled over and tracked down a direct phone number to the person who was supposed to interview me. She apologized and communicated that the person I was coordinating w/ was unexpectedly pulled into a meeting w/ her. My thoughts: There's only one person around to cover phones? I've worked in a large University for over 6 years and I know better. The interviewee (which happened to be one of the heads of the department) was not willing to go forward w/ the interview and instead suggested a phone interview. So, I rescheduled for a phone interview and her assistant called me and informed me, minutes before the interview was supposed to take place, that she was pulled into yet another meeting. So, I rescheduled again! The time came for the interview and I received no phone call from anyone! The lack of organization and professionalism portrayed by those employees put a bad taste in my mouth and I decided not to bother with following up.

Lack of organization, communication, professionalism.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a weekinterviewed at George Washington University in July 2009.

I was called and asked to come for a one on one interview. Lots of softball questions, and told them things already on my resume.

Interview Questions