Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.2

Accounting Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation.

This interview was for the accounting, internal audit, tax, and treasury internship at Georgia Pacific.

I interviewed at my university. The interviewing process took 60 minutes. I had to go to 3 different rooms (each had 2 interviewers) for 20 minutes each. Every room kept asking my geographical preferences when it came to working. If you're open to moving to a different state, you are more likely to get the job.

Individually the questions were not too hard, but I was asked about 10 questions total which got kind of repetitive.

room 1:
    When did you think outside the box and use an unconventional approach to solve a problem?
    What one accomplishment are you most proud of?
    When is a time you had to rely on someone else's knowledge to get though a task?
    Name a time when one of your work colleagues didn't pull their own weight and what did you do?
    What area in your life could you improve on the most?

room 2:
    When did you have to critique someones work and how did you do it?
    Name something specific from your previous internship that had a direct correlation with your coursework.
    (They drilled me on my job duties for this previous internship)

room 3:
    When did you step up and become a leader / take on responsibility when you weren't asked?
    Name a time when you didn't receive enough credit for your work and how did you handle it?
    -----I don't remember the last question exactly but it was something like this:
    When did you provide a new solution to an old problem OR When did you come up with a system that changed how things were done in the past?

(Did the interview yesterday, so ignore whether or not I got an offer)

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was room 2. Wanted to know every detail of my prior internship, and how it would prepare me for GP.   Answer Question

Full-time ME Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation in September 2014.

Met them at the career fair. Great and nice people. Lucky to score an interview with them. The first interview for a college recruitment is on campus and it is a behavioral interview. They will ask you to tell about your past and in what situation you have demonstrate initiative, leadership and such. Not a hard interview they just wanted to get to know you and see if you could fit in their culture.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of HR questions based not engineering...so be on your toes and ready to answer them.   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation.

Very Casual Interview process conducted by two separate interview teams. One team of interviewers from the level you are applying for and one from the higher management level.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about things on last evaluation report that you wanted to improve on.   Answer Question

Operations Research Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation in June 2014.

I was initially contacted by an HR person for a quick 15 minutes phone interview. 1 week after the phone interview I was called for an on-site interview. During the on-site interview, I first had meetings with 4 directors/VPs, and had lunch with two other employees in the end.

The on-site interview process was mostly behavioral interview rather than technical. The only technical question was a modeling of an Inventory problem. All questions are generally like:
    - What did you do in your last work, and what is the outcome in the end?
    - Was there any moments that you disagree with your boss? How did you resolve it?
    - How would you express your ideas to non-technical audience?
    - What do you do to keep up with new technology?

Interview Questions
    • Was there any moments that you disagree with your boss?   Answer Question

GIS/Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crossett, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crossett, AR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation in May 2014.

Initial Phone Screening a few weeks after applying online. Very friendly and relax tone...standard behavioral questions. It took several weeks to hear back about my second interview with the hiring manager. I had pretty much written off the position and then out of the blue I received a call.

Senior Sourcing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation in May 2014.

The overall experience was bad. I had to send multiple emails and calls after which the HR got back to me for every round.

This was through a referral. The position was based in the Atlanta office. After I was referred, the HR emailed me that she wanted to interview me. I emailed her back with suitable times for a phone call. One week went by no reply. Two weeks. I followed up. Another week went by. I called the office landline, dialed by employee name, and she picked up the call. She said she was sorry and she had forgotten (how lame I thought, but I decided to forget that). An interview was set up for the next day. The interview went well. She asked a fair amount of questions which I answered quite well. She said she'll get back.

After waiting for three weeks after this - I followed up through email and there was no reply. When I called a week later, she said the position had been filled and she about to tell me.

She could have atleast been a little courteous and told me herself that the position had been filled. But that wasn't the case.

I think there's something called as recruitment ethics, and it was lacking in this Georgia-Pacific recruiter.

Category Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation.

Applied for the position through the GP website. Was offered a phone interview with HR.

Senior Buyer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation.

Initial interview as a phone interview. This consisted of situational based questions, current salary inquiry, how much you expect to make, why do you want to leave your current job, when will you be available. It lasted about thirty minutes

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you did not achieve your goal and what you did about it.   View Answer

MBA Internship Interview

Post your resume online, then they start hiring for marketing internships in Feb/March. You will be contacted to do phone screenings (2 or 3) and then invited for an in person interview where you will speak to an entire team.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral Interview Questions. In my opinion, it was "If I called your employer, what would HE say was your biggest weakness"   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation.

Be prepared for several rounds of interviews with communication lags up to weeks long. If you walk in off the street you'll have a phone screen with HR. If you're applying for a skilled or esoteric role this person likely won't have the context to question you in great detail. They'll be looking for general background information, professional interests, and buzz words the hiring manager told them to look for. If you're being led by a recruiter, they'll handle this round during their screening process.

Next you may speak with the hiring manager directly for more detailed questions about your background and experience depending on the role. Sometimes a recruiter will come back with more detailed questions on the company's behalf. In any case you'll be invited in the office for your final round of interviews. The length and rigorousness of your in person interviews will depend largely on the position. For the analyst position there was a half day interview comprising of a couple senior managers and a director. Senior manager is 2 levels above analyst, director is 3. Expect this relative distance in roles applied for, so a senior manager interview candidate will likely meet with a VP. HR will tell you who you'll be interviewing with in advance, your interviewers know this, and will likely expect you to look them up - especially for higher level positions.

They will also expect you to be familiar with MBM and the company's 10 guiding principles. Don't expect to walk into the interview without having done any research unless you want that fact to be painfully obvious to everyone who interviews you. The founder's names are pronounced Koch like Coke in case you've only read it but decide to throw that out in the interview.

Each interviewer is looking for different traits, characteristics, and/or values. Do your research, be honest, and be your (professional) self because if it's not a culture fit you won't last long or want to. It's just your typical behavior based interview that uses past behavior as an indicator of future performance. Any genuine incorporation of the company's principles or philosophy in your examples will go far.

After this you can easily wait several weeks before hearing back. During this time the interview team is finding and evaluating other candidates, and comparing their performance to their notes about yours. HR might tell you generally how you were received if you question them - more likely you won't hear anything from the company at all. I've heard stories of as long as 4 weeks between phone screen and interview invitation, and another 4 between interview and offer.

Remember it's a paper company that is certified in sustainable forestry practices and views trees as a renewable resource. Email signatures or comments at any point in the interview process about "think before you print" and "save trees, etc. etc." will have you rejected on the spot. Seems obvious but you'd be surprised.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you disagreed with leadership on something and what did you do about it.   View Answer
    If you're selected HR will express an interest and start negotiations. Everything is negotiable so don't be afraid to get creative. No doesn't necessarily mean no to any/everything - but don't expect them to put any cards on the table if you ask general questions or aren't direct. This will further delay the process since many people need to sign off on your final offer. They'll offer you a combination of what they think you're worth and what they think you'll settle for. Your wiggle room will depend on a lot of factors not least of which being the numbers you casually mentioned in the phone screen and how much the hiring manager wants you. Successful negotiations result in a conditional offer of employment, contingent upon a mouth swab drug test and background check. After this they'll want you to start as close to immediately as possible, as if they didn't take 3-4 months to make the offer. Welcome to the company and good luck!