Georgia-Pacific Corporation Reliability Engineer Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OR
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation in May 2012.

The interview process consisted of an application online, a phone screen, and an on-site interview. All interview expenses were covered by the company.

The phone screen was fairly basic, with a few general questions related to my experience and some situations. There were technical questions relating to general principles, but nothing requiring computation. The phone screen included two employees in the area hiring for the posted position. This call lasted about 45 minutes.

The on-site interview was one of the best I have ever experienced. The company was very prepared to interview and extended me the same courtesy by providing detailed directions, covering all travel expenses, and providing a detailed itinerary of the interview including the names and titles of those interviewing me (about 6 different interviewers). I was provided with instructions to the nature of the behavior-based interview and sample questions. This made it easy to prepare for the interview and cater my expected responses to highlight specific experiences that I thought would best relate to the person interviewing me. It also helped me focus my research on the company and ask intelligent questions of the right people. This was not an easy interview however. The interviewers were all well prepared and asked for examples and follow-up questions to many items. The interview lasted almost a full 8 hours (including lunch, which was not a grueling interview time).

This was a very positive experience for me and I was very impressed with G-P and their interview process.

Interview Questions
  • I don't recall specifics of the questions, but almost all questions were experience-based and behavioral-based. For example: Tell me about a time when you were able to convince a group of your peers or superiors to take different action based on PdM information.   Answer Question

While very generous, the offer extended was less than I make now. The base offer was slightly more than my current base salary, but there was nothing well-defined for bonus/at-risk pay. While I understand that portion of remuneration is important to the company and a common practice with MBM, the lack of definition meant I could only speculate this portion of income, and even a best case scenario left me walking away from considerable money to take the offer with G-P. While cost of living, taxes, and housing prices make real differences to employees, these are not valid considerations within the structure of MBM, so I wasn't surprised that cost of living adjustments were not considered either.

Additionally, the relocation package offered was again generous, but did not reduce the risk for the employee by offering a home buy-out, stop-loss, or other provision to ensure sale of the old house. I cannot imagine a situation where someone would accept moving in the current economy for "competitive" pay if they are on the hook for their old mortgage AND rent or mortgage in the new location. No company wants to accept the liability of a house that won't sell either, but that leaves companies without the needed tools to recruit the best candidates.

Other Interview Reviews for Georgia-Pacific Corporation

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Georgia-Pacific Corporation in January 2008.

The interview processs for Georgia Pacific-Koch Industries is a SBO situation behavior outcome based.
    ie - "tell me about a time". I would recommend you become familiar with Koch industries MBM guiding
    principles. Also read The Science of Success by Charlie Koch. Really a pretty lame process as GP is
    under a huge transition after being purchased and gone private. Also, the company went through "Rapid
    Transformation" head count reduction after the purchase.

Interview Questions
    GP is instructed to make an offer or pass with in 3 days of the on site interview