Georgia Ports Authority

Interviews for Top Jobs at Georgia Ports Authority

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Georgia Ports Authority in March 2013.

Applied with the career services at my school. I received a call about two or three weeks later wanting me to come to the ports for an interview. The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes and was mostly just going over your resume. I was offered a position contingent upon passing a physical about 2 weeks later via phone call.

You do not get to chose the department you are interning in, so during the interview try to emphasize the department you want.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really anything unexpected. They mostly wanted to know why you would be a good fit for the Ports. Have a few questions ready for the interviewer though.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Driver/Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Georgia Ports Authority in March 2011.

The process was fairly straight-forward. I had a somewhat long but pleasant conversation with an HR rep at a career fair at my college. Near its conclusion I was asked to apply online. After submitting my app online, I followed up with an email, and two days later, with a phone call. That phone call yielded an interview for the following week. The interview was not unpleasant, but I was a little nervous, due to the fact that I was not a very experienced interviewee. I was interviewed by the HR rep and one of the operations managers. Both were friendly and the HR rep was kind enough to sort of help me through the interview. Feeling confident after the interview, I was sure to follow up with another email to thank them both for their time and consideration. By that Friday, I was contacted by the HR rep with a job offer. After working there for a year and talking to other employees, it seems that my experience was somewhat atypical. I mean that in the sense of how quickly the whole process went. Some of the other hires waited weeks and weeks for an initial interview, only to have to wait again to return for a second, and wait weeks again for the subsequent job offer. I seem to have been very fortunate.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle conflicts with another employee?   View Answer
    There was nothing to negotiate. Starting wages and bennies are pre-determined, and cannot be adjusted through negotiations. Saying that you need more money is like saying that you'd prefer to work for someone else. Also, wages are highly competitive, considering the level of skill required for the position. If you are offered a job, keep in mind that there are literally hundreds of other candidates hoping for the very same that you are contemplating. GPA knows that if you won't snatch it right up, one of them will. I accepted immediately without deliberation.