Georgia State University

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.3

Ph D Student Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Georgia State University.

I was already a Master's student for one year when I applied. There are orientations and tours for the out-of-towners, but I didn't attend those since I already worked there. Applicants are divided into groups based on their subject area concentrations. There were two rounds of group interviews, meaning multiple applicants and faculty members in each session. A faculty member asks a question, and each applicant responds in order. A little unnerving, as you have to commit or worry about one-upsmanship; there is an unfair advantage to the first or last in line, depending on how you look at it.

Interview Questions
    • What do you plan to do after getting your PhD? This is a difficult question and really not appropriate: PhDs are long and they typically change your career outlook, depending on how you adapt to the academic research world.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for graduate students. It's a stipend, not a salary really.

Assistant Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Georgia State University.

First interviewed by the search committee via phone, then called a few days later to schedule a face to face interview. Met with the committee for an hour, prepared a 30 minute presentation to an audience of about 40 people. Met with the team I would supervise, went on a campus tour, then met one on one with my supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • The volume of people at the presentation and the slew of questions that followed it   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I tried but they told me essentially it was what it was.

Data Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Georgia State University.

The interview process is standard questions regarding your experience and a test to determine your skill set because most position do not provide formal training. You may literally hit the ground running because its very fast past and demanding.

Yes but it depends on the manager whether or not they will offer the highest. Always ask for the highest range.

Assistant Professor Interview

In my memory, this university did not follow a normal standard to interview people. They just interviewed a 6-10 people, and wait for their reply. Many people would decline GSU's offer. For most of the cases, people ranked low would accept the offer.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Georgia State University in June 2014.

It is not stressful. The only problem is the waiting period to get cleared after background check. If you are hardworking and interested in working in the service industry, this is the place to be. It a very friendly environment to be in. You will enjoy it.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Georgia State University.

Once you are selected, the interview is very minimal. Their concern is your qualifications and skills.

No negotiations.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Georgia State University.

I had a personal referral and I applied online through their portal. Two weeks later I had a face-to-face interview. I heard back a week later. I had a panel interview and the panel never really asked me about my previous experience and how that would fit into the role I was interviewing for--which threw me off. They talked a lot about what they wanted in the role and their expectations and I never really got to fully "sell myself" as a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • I received a question regarding the software that is used and how I would do a very specific task in the software.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Georgia State University.

1. Phone/Skype
    2. on-campus
    3. hiring

i did not know I can, but I learned now

Associate Director of Sponsored Programs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

interviewed at Georgia State University in March 2014.

None. The recruiting specialist "connected" with me on Linkedin, then nothing.

Web Specialist Interview

The process was fairly streamlined. Had an initial phone interview, 2 in-person interviews, and then an offer was made. The unit I interviewed for was very laid-back, which helped a lot.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any unexpected questions. They asked about my qualifications and some general interview questions. That was about it.   Answer Question