Georgia Tech

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Georgia Tech in April 2009.

Interview Details – I contacted the professor I was interested in working with by email. Simultaneously I submitted the grad school application to the Prof's department, and specified his name as first choice. A while later (1-2 months) they contacted me to schedule an interview. The interview I met with 4 or 5 profs including my first choice. There were 10-15 other admitted prospective students. It was a pleasant process. My advisor did most of the talking during our meeting time. This was my first interview really so I was not particularly savvy about the questions I asked.

Interview Question – (Incredulously) You've only taken X number of classes in your field of interest??   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate. My desire to move out of my parents house overwhelmed my desire to be paid what I'm worth. Furthermore I was paid what everyone else in my position in my dept at Tech was paid, even a bit more.

Advice for future doctoral students: interview multiple profs and go with a big, established lab (full professor)

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Georgia Tech in March 2010.

Interview Details – It's quite simple for international students. First apply online and send the supplemental materials to the school. While waiting for responses, email professors that you are interested in and communicate with them to impress them. That's it.

Interview Question – Do you wanna join my research group?   View Answer

Worked for Georgia Tech? Contribute to the Community!