Georgia Tech Research Institute Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

Informative, direct, concise. Interested in what I could bring to the group. Open to share the details of what they work on. Described the connection with the Education system and the State.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute (Atlanta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted a resume during an online job fair. It took many weeks to hear from GTRI. Eventually a face-to-face interview was scheduled. It was an all day interview. There are many people dealing with the hiring process. These people have very little (or no) interaction with the people making the decisions. PersonA contradicts was personB says. PersonC paints a picture of what goes on in the hiring process, but this has very little to do with reality. At the end of the interview I still had no idea what the job entails. Despite my questions, I still don't know what is expected of me. I had no idea if my skill set applied to the position I was being considered for. I had no idea what future work might be coming. I had no idea how this position could benefit my career. The (contractor) recruiter they use was very difficult to work with. (Don't rely on her doing proper job. Babysitting is needed.) I had to repeatedly chase her to keep the process moving. Dealing with her was an exercise in wasting time. Important issues are relegated to Emails rather than picking up a phone.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all reasonable. (Far removed from the bashing you get from a Google interview.) The interviews were of the form of general conversation. Most of the questions were about your prior work. They scan through the resume and ask about different items. In the end they are looking for keywords. They appear to have a general myopic point of view. There is very little preparation on their part. They really don't care about the interview.   Answer Question

The offer was 20% lower than the industry average. There was no negotiation on their part. Their lack of communication was stunning poor. They didn't seem to care about hiring me or filling the position. The arrogant attitude of management didn't sit well with me. There seems to be a pervasive atmosphere of intimidation. The passive aggressiveness was apparent in the interview. I didn't get the impression the people working there were happy to be there.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute in September 2014.

Interview

After completing online application, I was sent several other forms to fill out per the position I applied for. A couple of weeks later I received an invitation for a phone get to know kind of interview with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• During the interview process immediately after exchanging greetings, the recruiter asked that GTRI requires citizenship for most of the position and if I am US citizen. This question kind of threw me off guard, as I am a veteran who served in the Army and National Guard and clearly stated in my resume and several other forms that I filled out prior to the interview. Beside the citizenship question the recruiter seems to be interested in knowing what is I am good at and what I do currently. Within minutes after the interview was completed I received an email stating that I am not moving forward. Despite the immediacy of the email, I was not surprised by the rejection as I got the sense that the interview was not going well right from the beginning.   Answer Question

Research Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute in July 2014.

Interview

The hiring process went relatively smooth. I was a co-op at this company since Nov 2011. I was referred to another department that was hiring by my division chief. I met with the lead on a new project from that division. We talked for about 15min, then he told me to keep in touch. A few days later I followed up with him. I was given a phone interview with the branch head and senior member of the team. That interview lasted about 20min. About 10min later I got a call in which they offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• The interview (phone) wasn't difficult at all. It was based on the current project they were hiring for. They ask what programming languages have I used? And what my experience level with each?   Answer Question

Research Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in-person all day interview at the lab I was applying for. The culture is unique; almost 100% of employees don't leave or come back to GTRI after leaving. Their teams are fluid, so they work together often. The projects are very long-term, but they eventually do submit deliverables for their work. It's definitely different and many people enjoy that atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• If you're asked about what kind of work you want to get into, just be honest. "I don't know" is acceptable when it's truthful.   Answer Question

Research Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute (Atlanta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

I very much enjoyed the interview process at GTRI. I knew someone internally so, as others have said, the process moves a lot faster. However, I was also contacted very quickly by other groups that I did not have contacts with so the website submission is not a complete blackhole as others have stated. I had a short phone call with the manager of the group before I was flown in for an on-site. It was not technical in any form and was more of a formality it seemed to say someone talked to me before I was flown in. My on-site interview was a good experience. It lasted an entire day (including lunch with people from the group) and got progressively harder as the day went on. I meant with the whole chain of managers, tech leads, branch heads in the morning where we talked about potential projects I could work on and where I fit into the group. I then went to lunch and after that interviewed on a more technical basis. The questions were pretty easy for the most part. Basic questions about C/C++, how to deal with pointers, data structures (lists, graphs, etc). I have interest/background in HPC so we got into a few neat questions about concurrency and parallelism. It was really nice to be interviewed by someone who had a very wide knowledge of programming, software, and research stuff. I felt like they actually knew the stuff, and weren't just reading off a list. I really liked the environment and people. GTRI had just moved from the main building which is on campus to the one off campus (14th street). The building is a lot nicer but now a few blocks from campus which is lame. The inside was really nice, all of the secured labs are on the inside of the building so all offices have nice big windows on the perimeter. Everyone seemed to be really happy and enjoy working there so that's a major plus! They also don't seem to be hurting on funding so it seems like a stable work environment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Tried to negotiate but was unable to. The manager said that my initial offer was their "best and final". Didn't like that too much but it seems like that is how it goes at GTRI for the most part. It hard to negotiate up in salary.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute (Atlanta, GA) in April 2013.

Interview

Being a student, I actually was able to get a career at GTRI fairly easily. I got my interview after going to the GTRI Career Fair that is held for Georgia Tech students every March. I interviewed with two labs. One gave me a phone interview and an on-campus coding interview, the other just a phone interview. The coding interview wasn't too bad- make sure you brush up on your data structures (esp. Linked Lists and Trees) and make sure you know and have implemented design principles! (I really screwed up on that part because I had not really thought about them in a while)

Interview Questions

• Name a design principle and describe how you implemented it in a project you have worked on.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Got the job through a connection in the group.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Felt that they were asking questions irrelevant to the job I was being hired for. In my case, it looked like I was too smart for them (over-qualified) so I was surprised to get an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy. Just email negotiation, but the paper-work took for ever.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Georgia Tech Research Institute (Atlanta, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied to friend referral, Admin emailed me to set up interview, Interview was a behavioral short face to face interview. The woman was very nice, and she emailed me back within the next two days to tell me when i can start.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, what do you want to do in the future   Answer Question