Gerdau Long Steel North America Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.7

Plant Service Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

The interview process was simple and upbeat. Formality was not necessary and stress was virtually nonexistent. The vocabulary was for the layman and the employer seemed very interested in getting this role filled for their company.

Contractor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America.

Interview

The interview process for this company was the least of any I have experienced to date. the staffing agency explained the job to me along with roles and responsibilities to the fullest extent that they knew and brought me in,

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America.

Interview

Interview Process was quick and concise. For the most part it went smooth but there was some confusion on the day I visited. >1/2 the people that were supposed to interview didn't show up. Didn't have a chance to meet many of future coworkers.

Interview Questions

• A few technical questions. 75% was personality and SMART related questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation. My advice is ask how stabile your department is and leverage what sort of hours you may need to put in extra.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America.

Interview

Steps were as followed: University recruiting, phone screen, online interview (had to answer questions online while recorded via webcam, different but amusing) and finally an on-site visit. On-site visit went fine, they didn't focus too much on behavioral questions but gave you a chance to meet a lot of people so everyone got a feel for you and asked you a couple questions. Interview process was long. Reimbursement was not timely. There was an issue with their system that went unresolved until I prompted them. Ultimately this is not a company I would have stayed with long based on my first (and possibly incorrect) impressions. This company seemed to be the type where they talked a lot about safety but were not actually focused on safety. Work atmosphere seemed more confrontational than teamwork based. Was asked a few different questions to the effect of "how well can I control the employees/operators working under me". I got the very strong impression that raised voices were not rare events but not common either.

Already stated.

Process Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Jacksonville, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview, had like 5 people on the phone. Hard to hear and understand. A complete parsing of my resume asked extremely detailed questions about every skill I put on my resume that could be of value to them. The really seemed like they wanted someone that was an Internal Hire not an outside hire, a lot of emphasis on how they tackle problems, and operate specfically. Everyone was Brazilian but the hiring manager, so I really got the impression that if you are American your career is limited. Asked a lot of detailed questions on SPC and Six Sigma, I was a rusty as I have the knowledge of those topics but have not used it in awhile, I was forth coming with that info but they wanted current applications of those topics. A lot of tell me a time you had intitiave and fixed a problem and tell me a time you worked well in a team questions. It was exhausing talking to that many people on the phone, and them dissecting each part of your resume on the phone and not on person. Questions were jumbled and a lot of bouncing back and forth of past topics and between people. I thought it was a poor way to interview. Overall I'm glad we went no further than a phone interview didn't seem to be a very welcoming department or great position.

Interview Questions

• Describe the how you used SPC to gage a process and increase productivity?   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Jackson, MI).

Interview

It is a panel interview; then they go around asking everyone- "what did you think of the candidate". They scrutinize you with a microscope during the whole interview process and nit pick at every possible thing that they can. Also, management does not seem to perceive you correctly; their perceptions of everything are negative.

The management was not worth working for; the recruitment experience was not positive;

Improvement Facilitator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Houston, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

It was a two part interview process. I initially met with the Plant Manager and HR Manager. The second meeting was held onsite with the Melt Shop Superintendent. The setting was very relaxed and the interview was entertaining.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable working on the routine side in the future?   1 Answer

Laborer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Saint Paul, MN) in May 2014.

Interview

Started with a phone interview followed by a group interview. After the group interview and tour of the mill they did individual interviews. It took about a week to get a call back then there was a physical and urinalysis before you could start working. There was also a 3 day orientation.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you? Also, they asked a lot of questions pertaining to safety because naturally safety is paramount in the kind of environment that it is.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (State College, PA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions trying to get a feel for how you would fit into the role. There were not too many skill related questions except for what kind of knowledge and experience you had for tools like excel. There were two rounds of phone interviews which were mostly similar questions. One was with a recruiter and the next with the director of the department.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to resolve issues within a team?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America.

Interview

Applied through a job board. Heard back within a week for a phone screening. Phone Screening was really easy - behavioral questions and past work experiences, etc. Not offered.

Interview Questions

• None. All the questions were easy and pretty straightforward.   Answer Question