German Marshall Fund Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at German Marshall Fund

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I did an over-the-phone interview than an in-person interview for the position. The process felt very casual and felt more like a walk-through of my resume than anything else. I was asked mostly about my experience with planning and logistics support as well as previous research endeavors. It seems that the in-person portion was more of a once-over check than an actual interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for German Marshall Fund

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

First a phone interview to conduct standard screening. Second an in-person interview with more of the same questions. The questions were standard and the interviewers were very nice; nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you helped to plan an event. Describe a time you worked in a team.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund.

Interview

I applied via their online application and was contacted within two weeks of submitting it. I was first interviewed by two people at GMF over the phone. After we finished, they asked me to email a writing sample. Two weeks later, I had a second phone interview, where they asked similar questions. Later that day, I received an email saying I was accepted.

Interview Questions

• No truly difficult questions. Questions included -- how would you go about research, why GMF, how do you manage your time, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in September 2013.

Interview

About two weeks after the application deadline had passed, I was contacted directly by the program I had applied for by email to set-up a phone interview for the next week. The interview lasted about 30 minutes, and I was given a great overview of the internship program and how I would be evaluated throughout the internship term. By the end of the week I was contacted again via email to set-up an in person interview for the next week. Dress attire was business casual. I was asked to fill out paperwork for HR upon arrival, much of it on contact information for my previous employers. I met with my direct supervisor and their supervisor, and questions were situation/behavioral in nature. I was told I would receive notice of their decision by Friday. At 4:50pm on Friday I received an email congratulating me, and linking me with HR to begin the intake process.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about researching the current diplomatic relations between Russia and Georgia?   1 Answer

Negotiation

As the position was an internship, there were no salary negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I was asked to explain my interest in the specific focus area for the department that was hiring, including academic experience and personal background relating to the area. Overall the interview was pretty straight-forward. It included the typical questions of what I hoped to do professionally after graduation and how I thought interning at GMF would help my career. I was also warned that the internship included a lot of basic office/administrative tasks, not only research and writing.

Interview Questions

• How could my academic research bring an innovative input to the organization.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund.

Interview

I applied online here twice for different internships, and received one interview, which I believe I only received by name-dropping a fairly prominent professor I had who was close with the organization. I was offered a phone interview a week after my e-mail, which took place a week after that. I had a phone interview as I was not in DC, and the whole thing took about 30 minutes and was fairly simple. The interviewer talked for a good 10 minutes about the organization and position itself before starting on my questions. The usual questions were asked, such as: why the GMF, what has prepared me for this position, what would I bring to the position. Then there were some slightly more philosophical questions such as what do I find most important about international relations. My experience with event planning was very important to my interviewer. I was offered the position three weeks after my interview. They seemed to favor hiring from within and their usual practice was to hire interns after about 6 months; many people in my department had started as interns. However, this may not currently be the case as many former interns who I knew worked there for far longer were offered no advancement after nearly a year of unpaid work. I would not recommend assuming that paid employment will be the eventual outcome of your internship, but I learned a great deal about working in a think tank and international relations in general.

Interview Questions

• What do I find most interesting about international relations?   1 Answer

Negotiation

As an unpaid intern, my negotiations essentially just concerned my hours.