German Marshall Fund

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at German Marshall Fund.

Interview Details – I applied via their online application and was contacted within two weeks of submitting it. I was first interviewed by two people at GMF over the phone. After we finished, they asked me to email a writing sample. Two weeks later, I had a second phone interview, where they asked similar questions. Later that day, I received an email saying I was accepted.

Interview Question – No truly difficult questions. Questions included -- how would you go about research, why GMF, how do you manage your time, etc.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at German Marshall Fund in September 2013.

Interview Details – About two weeks after the application deadline had passed, I was contacted directly by the program I had applied for by email to set-up a phone interview for the next week. The interview lasted about 30 minutes, and I was given a great overview of the internship program and how I would be evaluated throughout the internship term. By the end of the week I was contacted again via email to set-up an in person interview for the next week. Dress attire was business casual. I was asked to fill out paperwork for HR upon arrival, much of it on contact information for my previous employers. I met with my direct supervisor and their supervisor, and questions were situation/behavioral in nature. I was told I would receive notice of their decision by Friday. At 4:50pm on Friday I received an email congratulating me, and linking me with HR to begin the intake process.

Interview Question – How would you go about researching the current diplomatic relations between Russia and Georgia?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As the position was an internship, there were no salary negotiations.

Climate and Energy Intern Interview

Climate and Energy Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at German Marshall Fund.

Interview Details – It was a pretty standard interview. The supervisor asked about my background and interests at school, in particular my coursework and degree focus. They usually do in person interviews for the interns but since I was not in DC, I did mine over the phone and was offered the position a few days later.

Interview Question – My supervisor asked me to describe why I thought the program's work was important or especially interesting.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at German Marshall Fund in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was asked to explain my interest in the specific focus area for the department that was hiring, including academic experience and personal background relating to the area. Overall the interview was pretty straight-forward. It included the typical questions of what I hoped to do professionally after graduation and how I thought interning at GMF would help my career. I was also warned that the internship included a lot of basic office/administrative tasks, not only research and writing.

Interview Question – How could my academic research bring an innovative input to the organization.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at German Marshall Fund in May 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process demanded a lot of time, as after two rounds of interviewing and being told I was in the top two candidates, I was asked to write a research paper. After touching base a few weeks after submission(after no response), I was told that they found someone who better matched the listed job qualifications. I wish they could have somehow been able to tell that I didn't fit the qualifications before having me spend such a large amount of time on the project. I will not be applying again.

Interview Question – Give us an example of when you managed multiple responsibilities at once.   Answer Question

Partnerships Intern Interview

Partnerships Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at German Marshall Fund in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted via e-mail not long after my submission to schedule an in-person interview. I was interviewed by two members of the partnerships team, and later the head of partnerships joined. Being interviewed 3 on 1 may seem intimidating, but the partnership employees were professional, friendly and able to answer every question I had about the position and GMF.

My best advice to other candidates is to read GMF publications and read about the various programs they coordinate. It would also be beneficial to know what is currently happening with regard to European-US relations.

To correct some information on the glassdoor website, GMF has way more than 16-50 employees in DC.

Interview Question – What was your contribution to "Company X"   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at German Marshall Fund.

Interview Details – I applied online here twice for different internships, and received one interview, which I believe I only received by name-dropping a fairly prominent professor I had who was close with the organization. I was offered a phone interview a week after my e-mail, which took place a week after that.

I had a phone interview as I was not in DC, and the whole thing took about 30 minutes and was fairly simple. The interviewer talked for a good 10 minutes about the organization and position itself before starting on my questions. The usual questions were asked, such as: why the GMF, what has prepared me for this position, what would I bring to the position. Then there were some slightly more philosophical questions such as what do I find most important about international relations. My experience with event planning was very important to my interviewer. I was offered the position three weeks after my interview.

They seemed to favor hiring from within and their usual practice was to hire interns after about 6 months; many people in my department had started as interns. However, this may not currently be the case as many former interns who I knew worked there for far longer were offered no advancement after nearly a year of unpaid work.

I would not recommend assuming that paid employment will be the eventual outcome of your internship, but I learned a great deal about working in a think tank and international relations in general.

Interview Question – What do I find most interesting about international relations?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As an unpaid intern, my negotiations essentially just concerned my hours.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for German Marshall Fund? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at German Marshall Fund interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by German Marshall Fund employees and interview candidates.