Gerson Lehrman Group

Updated Oct 9, 2014

2.9

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

On campus interview, two thirty minute interviews. The interviews were very straight forward, though they seemed most interested in seeing if you understand exactly what they do. Both interviewers spent around half their time going over what an expert network is and different ways of thinking about it.

Other Interview Reviews for Gerson Lehrman Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in January 2014.

As I am writing this, there's still a chance that I may hear back from GLG but I highly doubt it. The advice I share is aimed particularly at those who think GLG is slightly outside their area of expertise or not exactly in line with your previous work experience.

I applied through their website as a cousin of mine had used GLG previously through his business and highly recommended them. I was a little anxious because I felt that a position in their Legal and Economic Regulatory Affairs department was a little outside my area of knowledge. I had previous legal experience at previous jobs but it was mostly coordinated projects with my company's legal department. However, I felt that at a company like GLG, as long as you demonstrate decent knowledge, the company would train you with the rest and it seemed like a job where you truly learn-by-doing.

Within a few days, I got an email that they were interested in a phone screening and we arranged it for the next couple days. This gave me a lot of time to really research the company, their business model, their clients, etc. However, i also knew it was just going to be a screening so I may not actually get the opportunity to demonstrate my research.

I couldn't have been more right. The guy on the other line was heavily focused on by education (of which I have a Master's) was in another field, and rather than ask me why I was interested in a change of experience, he just kept asking me questions about why I did my Master's in this particular subject, etc, etc. He never enabled me to say 'okay, i worked here, but this, this and this, would make me a good fit at GLG. It felt a little like an ambush to the point where I was constantly asking myself 'why did this guy even call me?'. In any case, the call went okay, but I just never got the chance to ask relevant questions regarding GLG nor show why I wanted to work there. Instead, I just had to explain over and over, my interest in politics, my Master's, one particular organization that I worked in. I wanted to tell the man 'Look, I know my CV is working against me here, but I still have 3-4 years of good work experience for a mix of public, private, international and voluntary organizations, and every one of those places, I came in, learnt the ropes, and left with a track record of success, of which my references provided will second'. But that would have come off sounding a little brash and in the end, I just became uninterested in a guy who sounded uninterested in me as a GLG prospect.

He eventually asked that I reach out to him on LinkedIn and that he would forward my information from the New York to the DC office (where I live). He then told me that I should hear something in the next 2-3 days, to which I have not yet. He did accept my connection request on LinkedIn, but I am sure that is as far as its going to go.

Interview Questions
    • What first got you interested in Politics?   View Answer

Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Very brief interview process. Consisted of initial informational interview and was followed by 3 back-to-back 30 minute interviews a few days later. Nothing too difficult, mostly behavioral questions. Last interview really tests your desire to work there more than anything. Office culture really suggests a motivated environment and they want to be sure you'll fit in not only by personality and attitude, but by overall desire to make a difference in the company. No one in that office does the bare minimum required.

Interview Questions
    • Last interview was most difficult, but still nothing to sweat over. After two rounds of basic behavioral interviews, switching over to the "why do you want to be here" questions required a quick change of thinking.   Answer Question
    It was my first job out of college with no previous work experience in the field so I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer as it was.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in August 2012.

I was offered a phone interview, asked situational questions and how each job requirement fits you and why. If phone interview goes well you are brought in for additional interviews and a case study.

Interview Questions
    • If you could compare yourself to a superhero who would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in August 2010.

I was asked by a recruiter to apply online, and received a phone interview. In the interview, I was asked about my background and how I could contribute to GLG. In the end, I didn't feel that GLG was a good fit for me as I didn't think that the role of Associate fit into my career plan. Also, you must start in Austin, Texas and I did not feel like relocating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in June 2010.

GLG posted an ad on my college's job board. I simply passed along my credentials and received an email response several days later. We set up a time and date where I spoke with the office manager who asked general questions you would expect in an interview followed by an associate to explain the role of the associate to me and then finally I spoke with a manager who asked some 'what would you do' type questions. Nothing to worry about.
    A few days later I was contacted for a second interview which they said would be case based. This is not your typical case it is actually a joke and it is just an exercise to see how well you can mimic their work on your own. You are given one hour to prepare based on the notes they provide you and then an hour later you are contacted by two managers on the phone who then question you based on your write up you submit to them. They ask you ridiculous questions to test your creativity and then based on your performance you are judged fit for the on site interview.
    The case interview is a mockery of case based interviews and in my opinion was one of the most unprofessional interviews I have ever been apart of. Having been to business school I have done a ton of cases and this one was simple in nature and quiet narrow minded for a company that prides itself on the acquisition of talented intelligent minds.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in March 2010.

Several case studies followed up by analysis and questions. Not difficult... just my first interview of the sort. Probably a good co to work for, but i wound up finding something better for me. For a good leg up, make you you review the "sample cases" that they post to their website

Interview Questions
    • What I do regularly that I know is illegal   View Answer

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in September 2009.

Applied online and recieved a phone call from the hiring manager. The interview was a straightforward run through of the resume. All in all, it was quite easy, the recruiter seemed personable. As with all interviews, be prepared to talk in detail about your resume, any prior research experience, and the usual behavorial questions (teamwork, conflict, etc). I recieved an email about a month later saying that I wouldn't be called to their office for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to attend your college, and why did you choose your specific major?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Submitted my CV via the GLG website, and received an email about 10 days later to schedule an initial interview. This was a fairly standard 30 minute phone screening with a HR person in the company - usual first round questions (talk me through your CV, why do you think you're qualified for this position, what do you know about the company, etc.)

The following day I received another email to schedule a second interview two days later. This was a conference call with three members of the office I was applying for, who I spoke to for about 30-40 minutes each. They asked similar questions, with a strong emphasis on making sure you understand the company and its business model. A couple of the more specific questions included "If a client came to you asking about __, who would you recommend they speak to?", and "If you could have access to any member of our panels, who would you speak to?"

A day or two later I received another email to schedule a third interview, this time in the office. The third interview consisted of a case-study task. I was given a brief and invited to ask questions, and then given about an hour to suggest people that would be suitable and explain the through process behind my choices. I also spoke with a couple of other people in the office and had a short teleconference meeting with a member of the London office.

Following that, I again received an email to schedule a final interview a couple of days later, which was a phone call with three heads of area from the London office. It seemed as though this served as both a final interview and a way of exploring which area I might be assigned to if hired. The questions were similar to those asked in previous rounds. A couple of days later I received an offer.

On the whole the process was very positive. Even though there were a lot of rounds, the whole thing happened within a reasonably short time frame, which made it easier to manage. Everyone I spoke to was very engaging, enthusiastic about the company, and very willing to answer any questions I had.

Interview Questions
    • If you could have access to any member of our panel, who would it be?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in July 2011.

This was the worst experience I've ever had with a HR recruiter. I thought the person in question was quite unprofessional, didn't have any interest in my application and was not even listening to what I was saying. Obviously, they have made their minds up before calling and conducted the interview for the sake of being polite.