Gerson Lehrman Group Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.9

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

I was referred through a current employee. I didn't have an initial phone screen. I had one phone interview with a current Senior Associate. They seemed to be looking for if you were able to talk and if you had experience and were comfortable reaching out to people you don't know. Immediately after that, I was emailed with a case to review with 3 days that I received on a Friday morning. After completing the fairly straightforward case, I had a phone review with a research manager. The research manager is looking for you to have looked outside the box and told me what he has impressed where I, and others, have thought to include. After that I was invited for an on-site interview, but I declined because of another offer.

Senior Research Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The recruiting process that I went through at GLG was by far, the most positive and professional experience I have stepped through in my history of interviewing.

I met with ten different people over the course of a few weeks + completed a case study. Throughout the entirety of the process, communication around timelines, expectations and next steps were airtight and respectfully aligned with my own personal constraints. My primary points of contact (Will D. and Pat D.) were phenomenal resources as I navigated the various conversations - their leadership agility were immediately evident in the way they engaged with my candidacy. Most of all, I appreciated the full-team's efforts to remain considerate of my timeline while also taking the initiative to thoughtfully build out a full round of discussions to help me gain a rich understanding of the company and culture.

Although I ultimately decided to go a different route, it was very difficult to turn down an opportunity to work at GLG based on the quality of the interview process and the people that I met along the way.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

I applied online, and heard back the next day with a brief email asking me some basic questions (would I ever require sponsorship to work in the United States, how soon could I start working, would I be willing to relocate, etc.). After responding to the email, they quickly set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty easy and the woman interviewing me was very friendly and professional. She asked me basic behavioral questions. A few days later I got an email saying that I would have a second phone interview. This one was a little longer, and the woman asked me some more basic questions. These were more situation based, rather than behavioral (i.e., rather than "what are you looking for in a job" it was "tell me about a time when you resolved a conflict"). This was still an easy, enjoyable interview. However, the next day I got an email saying that my background and experience was not a fit for the company. Overall, though, the interview experience was very enjoyable and the people I spoke with were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you set a goal for yourself, and how you went about achieving it.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied via their website and got a call to discuss my cv within a few days. The same day I was invited for an initial phone interview for two days later. I spoke with three employees, from different levels within the organisation. Very friendly and they gave a lot of information and details about the role. Lasted around 1.5 hours in total. Make sure you study their business model carefully as it is quite unique. Everything is on the website; videos, information, make sure you click through every part. Was invited for in-person interview within an hour after the call! They really seem to value a quick turnaround time, which was very nice. This last interview was scheduled for two days later again and consisted of a case study plus again interviews with three, different people. This final stage lasted about 4 hours in total. Questions get slightly harder during the three interviews, where the last one was more unstructured and cross question to really get to know me.

Interview Questions

• Describe the GLG business model   Answer Question
    • What interests you in this particular role   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in the nearby future   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the biggest challenge in this role and what would be the biggest challenge for you personally?   Answer Question

I felt very appreciated and welcome. Impressed that the whole process lasted exactly one week. But certain parts of the job didn't match with my personal goals at the moment.

Summer(In Singapore) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Skype interview. Behavioral interview. Nothing unexpected. The interviewer was very curious about what I did in US.(clubs, organizations, working experiences). She seems like very strict on my answers. For example, when she asked me about GLG's business model, I explained basically in the same way as it stated in the website, but she spent several minutes correcting me, and it turned out the same thing as my answer. Asked my future goal and plan. The whole interview process was slightly intense but at the end of the interview, she seems very interested in answering my questions regarding her positions and experiences at GLG, and the vibe starts becoming casual and relaxing. She asked me if I had ever come to Singapore, I said no, and she goes you should come here.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any financial background? Do you know what is mutual fund?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long but well worth it in the end. I received the standard email with questions regarding pay rate and relocation interest. Next I had a standard phone interview with a very kind HR person. This interview was followed by two phone interviews with Senior Associates. The SAs were opposite personalities but both seemed engaged in the conversation which was very nice. These interviews were followed by a case study, which stressed me out the most. It wasn't difficult per se but it came with limited instruction. I worked very hard on it and then had a call with a research manager to go over the results. Again, the interviewer was very kind. Finally, I went on a super interview day in Austin meeting with 7 individuals over 4 hours. It was a whirlwind but luckily there was a coffee interview at one point.

The interviewers all have very different interview styles and personalities (like any business). You must be able to adapt to this and not be put off by competitive or intelligent people. You will be working with a million different personalities in the day to day work of this position so the interview is ideal to test your abilities.

Project Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Thus far, it has been a fairly straightforward process. An initial phone interview with an HR person. All of the other reviews on here are accurate. The second was with a member on the Project Support team, and it was essentially the same as the first interview, but more personal (I think he is more keen on getting to know the candidate as a person to see as to how they'd fit in with a team). I've been asked to complete a case study, and that will be reviewed and discussed with the HR team. The final step is an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• If you're looking at a clock, and the hour hand is at 12 and the minute hand is at 3, how many degrees are between the two hands?   2 Answers

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

I went through a very long and thorough interview process. I was referred by a family friend and had a phone interview with HR quite quickly. The main emphasis on this call was explaining the business model and showing genuine interest and excitement towards the company. After only 15 or so minutes I guess I passed the screening and had another phone interview set up.
    The next interview was with 2 people in the Senior Associate position. They were very nice and the conversations were laid back and easy. They were pretty standard behavioral questions with the again emphasized "explain what GLG does?" question again. I feel like at this point you just need to interview well because it's not very difficult questions-wise. Just tailor your strengths to the company's culture (intelligence, hardwork, curiousity, and team work). Both interviews were around 30 minutes long and I recieved word that I had made it to the next round: The case study.
    The case study was on a shortage in the supply chain for mobile devices and was overall quite interesting. I spent a long time on it but really enjoyed the work because it was pretty cool. I think going a thorough job is important for this. I really tried to go above and beyond the answer requirements and I think it showed how excited I was about the company and the level of work I could do. After completing the case study there was a thirty minute case review which was mostly straightforward. As long as you know each of your answers well and have a good grasp on the background of the case you should pass the questions easily. After the review I was invited to the on site interview in Austin.
    The on site interviews were along the same lines as the previous interviews but slightly more intense. First I had lunch with 2 Associates which was less an interview and more a conversation. They were very friendly and I felt like they were there more to show off the people in the company than to evaluate me. After lunch I went through a series of 4 interviews with people in positions ranging from Associate to head of the Austin office. They started to get repetitive because the first question was always explaining the business model. The most important thing is to keep your energy up. It's esy to have 1 or 2 good interviews in a row but by the 5th it gets a little exhausting. I researched all the interviewers beforehand and found out my last interview was the most important. It was also the hardest. The interviewer told me that my GPA was very bad and basically tried to keep me off balance by never giving me a completely positive response. I kept my cool though, or at least tried to and managed to answer his slightly harder behavioral questions without a snag. Overall everyone I met was very personable and nice. The Austin office seems like it is full of smart young people who work hard but have lives outside GLG. I really grew to like this company more and more as the process went on.
    Around a week after my on site interview I recieved an offer and accepted. GLG is looking for curious, smart people and I feel like I was able to show these traits through each interview. I feel like you just have to highlight your strengths and be able to engage the mostly laid back interviewers and you'll do well.

Interview Questions

• What is GLG's business model? Is your GPA representative of your intelligence? What is something you are interested in now?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one with campus recruiter and one with an associate. The third round was a video interview with someone in the office.They then followed up with an e-mail.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was about 15 minutes long; it felt very rushed and scripted. It made me feel unwelcome and frustrated because the recruiter was speaking very quickly. A short interview such as this over the phone does not give applicants a fair opportunity to express their qualifications well and ultimately get selected. For a company that values one-to-one communication, I was disappointed with my experience.

Interview Questions

• Why my resume experience is relevant to the role I applied for, how I heard about the company, and the business model in my own words about the company.   Answer Question