Gerson Lehrman Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.9

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in December 2014.

A friend of the family works for this company and recommended me for the job. She sent me resume to HR. Soon after, I received a mass email asking for my GPA, salary requirements, if I am able to legally work in the US and start date. After answering those questions, I received another email with a phone interview time. The recruiter then called me and asked two questions. 1. What is GLG's business model? 2. What is your current job? She seemed to be in a very bad mood and in a rush. After answering - I did happen to know their business model after reading other reviews on Glassdoor - she asked if I had any questions. I did. I asked about their culture and more in depth about the position itself. She was very snippy and short. I could tell she was ready to end the conversation. After she answered, she asked "Is that it?" I said yes and we ended the call. I was unimpressed with the experience, and after the attitude from the recruiter, I decided to not pursue the position anymore.

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in December 2014.

Was brought in through informal channels, set up with interview with head of overall group. He had me wait around and try to meet with two other people. Ended up meeting one for 10 minutes. He had some interesting opportunities for me so I was to follow up with him.

I emailed the 2nd contact a couple times to no avail and then successfully set up a call via his assistant. He was supposed to have me talk to his colleague - which never happened even after two more email follow ups and a call.

Based on the interview process, I don't think this is a place I would want to work. I'm still in some sort of in-between state of being interviewed and being rejected. I want to work for a more professional company - I've basically emailed them to say I'm not looking anymore because I accepted an offer elsewhere. Hopefully they don't treat everyone like this.

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interviewed on campus with 2 senior folk separately. One of them was HR and was primarily fit based, the other had some "what would you do to accomplish X" questions thrown in. Was invited to the next round to complete a 'case study' which involved a sample of the type of work one would do at GLG, but by that point I had already accepted another offer. Pretty laid-back process overall.

Interview Questions
    • As I said, just a couple of "how would you go about accomplishing task X" questions. Was also asked what I do for fun and what the last couple books I read were.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in November 2014.

Submitted resume at career fair and through school website, then interviewed with a Senior Associate and VP on campus. Was then given a week to work on a case to then present and respond to questions over the phone.

These cases are not like your typical cases. The set up involved a shortage of a key manufacturing component in the mobile phone industry. I was to procure 5 experts to connect with the client, a fund manager in this case. I submitted the case in pdf format, then was questioned on it a few days later.

I moved on to a superday in Austin. I had breakfast with 2 associates, then 5 more sessions with VPs. They all seemed more like behavioral/personality interviews.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in November 2014.

I originally applied online. Then I had a phone screen with an HR person, followed by another phone interview with the manager on the team I was applying for. Next came a case study. I had a few days to complete it. Based on how I did on the case study, I was given a final interview. Since time was short, they were not able to fly me in. So I completed a video interview. It was roughly 4 hours long. I interviewed with several different people I would be working with. Each interview lasted about 30 minutes. One interview was solely based around the case study. The whole process only took a few weeks, but I was not offered a job immediately.

Research Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

I completed the first phone interview and it was very simple. I was first asked what I know about the company and the specific job that I applied for. Then my interviewer elaborated on what I had said and finally asked me why I thought I was a good fit for this job. I was required to speak a lot more than the interviewer so make sure to do your research and have questions prepared. I think with this interview they're mainly testing your ability to carry a professional conversation over the phone since this job requires you to make phone calls regularly to potential council members.
    The next step will be a second phone interview with a hiring manager and if I pass that round, a final interview in person.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was straightforward. Just do your research and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Brought through two back-to-back interviews, one asked about the business model, and the other asked if I had any questions. They mostly asked behavioral questions and for you to elaborate on items on your resume. Make sure you know your previous projects well, and how they relate to the RA position. Make sure you know and articulate the business model well, and why you want to do research.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Initial interviews happened immediately and with great organization. There were two phone interviews followed by three web interviews, then an in-person interview. All of the interviews were pretty straght-forward and candid. There was an informal element to them. The focus seemed to be on work experience and how that translates to the role I was applying for.

Interview Questions
    • What would you be willing to do to ensure a positive guest experience...   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

On campus interview, two thirty minute interviews. The interviews were very straight forward, though they seemed most interested in seeing if you understand exactly what they do. Both interviewers spent around half their time going over what an expert network is and different ways of thinking about it.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

I applied through my schools job posting and received a call within a few business days to set up a phone interview. I went through two phone interviews before I had my final interview in their Austin office. All of the interviews were very easy, mostly behavioral, tell me about yourself and tell me about your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Just be sure you are able to talk about what GLG does and their business model   Answer Question