Gerson Lehrman Group Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.9

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

On campus interview, two thirty minute interviews. The interviews were very straight forward, though they seemed most interested in seeing if you understand exactly what they do. Both interviewers spent around half their time going over what an expert network is and different ways of thinking about it.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied through my schools job posting and received a call within a few business days to set up a phone interview. I went through two phone interviews before I had my final interview in their Austin office. All of the interviews were very easy, mostly behavioral, tell me about yourself and tell me about your resume.

Interview Questions

• Just be sure you are able to talk about what GLG does and their business model   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

Applied for the senior associate program in Austin. Was contacted by recruiter in New York, and proceeded to go to through an initial phone interview, case review interview, and in-person interview. The initial phone interview was with 2 different people, one senior associate and a research manager. I was then provided a case-study, and then invited to Austin for an interview. The people were generally friendly, and responsive.

Junior Associate Interview

Interview

Two weeks after applying received an email asking basic questions, after responding was contacted fairly quickly to set up a 30 minute phone interview. Notes from the first phone interview were to be passed onto another manager who would decide whether to set up a second phone interview

Interview Questions

• No real surprising questions, expected to have pretty thorough knowledge of the company's business model. Mostly personal questions about experience and why I would be the right fit for the job.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in September 2014.

Interview

-Received a phone call upon resume submission
    -Was moved onto the second round
    -Had two phone interviews with two different employees, very nice people
    -They asked about my resume, career goals, and why I want to start a career at GLG
    -They were very friendly, and led on that I was a good candidate
    -Surprised when I was not asked to continue on with the interview process

Interview Questions

Interview

The interview process was good at first. I completed two initial phone interviews and the case study interview before finally scheduling a trip out to Austin to complete my final in-person interview. In the time period between the last two interviews my recruiter fell out of touch with me. I received no confirmation of the interview despite having sent multiple emails trying to reach out. Upon my arrival in the office it seemed as though they were not prepared to have me. Having been so excited about the opportunity at the start, by the end I felt as though the company did not care at all. This final lack luster experience left me disappointed in the company.

Interview Questions

• Do you believe your GPA is representative of your intelligence? If not, what would you rate yourself?   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and moved through the first phases of the interview very quickly — I had two phone interviews and one in person at the office within two weeks. The first call was basic behavioral, the second was a more in-depth discussion on the position and my qualifications. The on-site interview involved meeting with four employees to discuss the company, their business model, and the role. After that it was just a waiting game.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

I was connected to a member of senior leadership through a friend, and an interview was set up within a few days. I went into the new H/O in New York which has a great feel to it - very open and bright, no desks - people move around as they please. I had a good chat with the head of department who explained the company and the specific role clearly, and was very direct about the company's opportunities and needs. Other members of the team were less collegial. At least in the sales department, there seems to be a very high-stress, frantic feel (likely because they were very understaffed at the time).

Interview Questions

• The role was a very clear break from my area of interest and skills so I was asked directly (several times) why I was interested in the space, and whether I would be able to commit to it given its divergence from my previous career path.   Answer Question

I appreciated their candidness about the role, because it became clear it really was just too far away from my desired career path.

Placements Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process took over a month. Two phone interviews/conversations, four in person interviews and a written case study assignment. Interviews were a mix of conversation and questions mostly about my background/experience.
    Case study wasn't spoken about much other than going over it over the phone with feedback that it was "excellent and impressive". Replies to my thank you emails were on the whole very nice however two of them were interesting, one included nothing in the body of the email (from an Engagement Manager) and the other my name was spelled incorrectly (from a Managing Director). Feedback and email correspondence from the employee who leads the business unit and a VP I interviewed with were helpful, complimentary, sincere and much appreciated. Overall a fine/neutral experience, recruiter was easy to work with, interviewers pleasant. However, I found it unnecessary and disappointing to take a candidate through a long involved process knowing he doesn't have private equity experience and in the end that experience is very important to the job and a determining factor.

Interview Questions

• Take me through your resume.
      Why GLG?
      What are you bringing to this position?

Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted within a day to set up an initial phone interview. Phone interview was more or less a screening with questions about my resume and background, along with what I knew about the company. Overall, interviewer was very nice and positive, however I am yet to hear back.