Gerson Lehrman Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

Associate Program, PSF Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in August 2013.

Applied online after getting a reference. Got an email for a phone screening within 2 days. Talked to a rep out of NY for a few minutes. You must know their business model very well at all stages of the interview process. Initial rep did not ask me any questions about myself but about how I would do in a hypothetical position. After a few days, got another email to talk to two people from their Austin office on the phone for 30 m. They asked me about myself, told me their background, asked general interview questions and further quizzed me on the business model.

Got approved for the next interview stage, completed a case study in 2 days, sent it in. Then got called into their Austin office finally and interviewed/briefed with 6 additional people. My interviews went well, they were the same general questions about why I wanted to be here, tell me about your professional background, what does GLG do, etc. My case study debriefing went really well. As with all case studies, they are looking for your reasoning and not your specific answers. They asked a couple of tricky questions (rank these experts in their relevance to the project, now make an argument for the least important person being the most important).

Two of the people interviewing me seemed very busy and were checking their phones, one asked the same question two times. I caught them after a busy week so I didn't really mind but it was hard to scope their reactions because they seemed preoccupied. Based on the reactions of the interviewers and the exhaustive process, I had a really good feeling I would get the job but sadly did not.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really out of the blue. The interviewers have to ask 1-3 zany questions (if you were stuck on a desert island......) and the case study was a little tricky (see above). But overall nothing hard in this interview, the hardest part was having 9 flawless interviews and then getting rejected for an unknown reason.   Answer Question

Lead Generator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

I was contacted by HR two weeks after I had applied for the job. Over the next two weeks, I had three 30-minute phone interviews with members of the research team and HR

Junior Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

My first interview was a phone screen that ran about 30 minutes. It was more focused on what I knew about the company, how my oral skills were, and how I could voice what the Gerson Lehrman Group did. The second round consisted of 2 30 minute phone interviews. This was focused on my skills, previous experiences, and again my ability to articulate what GLG does and to articulate clearly in general.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in June 2013.

I went through a 15 minute initial telephone screen with a recruiter. From there, I was passed on to the Hiring Manager, in which my 30 minute phone interview felt like I was being grilled about how much I researched the company beforehand (describing their business model, what the position entailed, their blueprints, etc.).

After speaking with the Hiring Manager, she set up two more phone interviews with some of the research managers. Each interview lasted 30 minutes, and I was asked about some of my credentials/standard resume questions and behavioral questions. I was asked what type of animal from a carousel I would be - not kidding.

The next step was completing a case study and another 30 minute phone interview with a Research Associate to walk through my completed case study. The case study directions and expectations were very vague and frustrating. The associate I spoke with was very rude and abrasive, he said there were no right or wrong answers, but it became pretty obvious in the beginning of the conversation that there was - especially when he repeatedly cut me off.

After the case study interview, they told me if they decided to pursue my candidacy that they would bring me into the office (finally) to meet the team. Although, I knew after the case study interview that I was not making it to the final round and quite frankly was happy. But after 5 phone interviews and an insane amount of time spent of the case study, it was a big waste of time dealing with that glorified call center.

I was very surprised at the lack of professionalism, the blunt rudeness and dullness of every single employee that I spoke with. Good luck if you decide to pursue that interview process, it is tiring and unnecessarily long.

Interview Questions
    • -How would you describe the GLG business model?
      -If you could be any animal on a carousel, what would you be?
      -What are your hobbies?
      -Strengths/weaknesses
      -Why are you wanting to leave your current job?
      -Give us an example of a time that you ha a conflict with a supervisor or a client
        Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Asked about past expereience sales leadership and other issues pertaining to my past job not too difficult by lengthy

Undisclosed Interview

Very lengthy process that paid off in the end. Standard behavioural questions.

Interview Questions
    • What makes this job something you'd be interested in? Describe the GLG business model, and one of the markets we're looking to expand into.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase.

Recruiting Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in January 2013.

Phone screening. General questions. Not many curve balls.

Interview Questions
    • A time when you used networking to accomplish something   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Straightforward hiring process. First connected to my now-manager b/c we knew each other from a previous employer. Great intro conversation. Then had a more formal interview w/ him by phone when we determined we were aligned. Because I was interviewing for a Sales/Account role, we participated in role-playing exercises to test my ability to pitch and think on my feet.

HR then reached out to schedule in-person interviews. Very helpful HR lead that ensured my travel plans were seamless. Interviewed with potential peers, future boss, and other senior leaders at the company in person. They asked a variety of questions, all thoughtful. Seemed to be strong alignment in my background and abilities and the position. Impressed by the head of HR's questions around my interests and what satisfies me about a position - a smart and respectful way to evaluate if I was a fit. Also impressed with the team - clearly a smart and savvy group.

Salary negotiations were straightforward, and the entire process was quick and seamless.

Interview Questions
    • If you could leverage our network, what would you want to learn and who would you speak with?   Answer Question
    See above. Very straightforward. Appreciated that.

Council Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Most of the vetting is done in the application process. I don't remember my phone interview. You can say that the ongoing process of obtaining projects is a continuous interview process. Once you apply for a project a GLG representative will contact you and discuss the project with you in more detail. It is also an opportunity to ask questions and get a clearer understanding of what the client needs - no need to accept an assignment where you can't help the client.

Interview Questions
    • None. The interview process was to clarify background and experience and understand what types of projects the Council Member was looking for.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase for Council Members. The rates are generally fixed.

Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Very brief interview process. Consisted of initial informational interview and was followed by 3 back-to-back 30 minute interviews a few days later. Nothing too difficult, mostly behavioral questions. Last interview really tests your desire to work there more than anything. Office culture really suggests a motivated environment and they want to be sure you'll fit in not only by personality and attitude, but by overall desire to make a difference in the company. No one in that office does the bare minimum required.

Interview Questions
    • Last interview was most difficult, but still nothing to sweat over. After two rounds of basic behavioral interviews, switching over to the "why do you want to be here" questions required a quick change of thinking.   Answer Question
    It was my first job out of college with no previous work experience in the field so I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer as it was.