Gerson Lehrman Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Undisclosed Interview

Undisclosed

Interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group

Interview Details – Very lengthy process that paid off in the end. Standard behavioural questions.

Interview Question – What makes this job something you'd be interested in? Describe the GLG business model, and one of the markets we're looking to expand into.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Recruiting Associate Interview

Recruiting Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in January 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screening. General questions. Not many curve balls.

Interview Question – A time when you used networking to accomplish something   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview Details – Straightforward hiring process. First connected to my now-manager b/c we knew each other from a previous employer. Great intro conversation. Then had a more formal interview w/ him by phone when we determined we were aligned. Because I was interviewing for a Sales/Account role, we participated in role-playing exercises to test my ability to pitch and think on my feet.

HR then reached out to schedule in-person interviews. Very helpful HR lead that ensured my travel plans were seamless. Interviewed with potential peers, future boss, and other senior leaders at the company in person. They asked a variety of questions, all thoughtful. Seemed to be strong alignment in my background and abilities and the position. Impressed by the head of HR's questions around my interests and what satisfies me about a position - a smart and respectful way to evaluate if I was a fit. Also impressed with the team - clearly a smart and savvy group.

Salary negotiations were straightforward, and the entire process was quick and seamless.

Interview Question – If you could leverage our network, what would you want to learn and who would you speak with?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – See above. Very straightforward. Appreciated that.

Council Member Interview

Council Member

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview Details – Most of the vetting is done in the application process. I don't remember my phone interview. You can say that the ongoing process of obtaining projects is a continuous interview process. Once you apply for a project a GLG representative will contact you and discuss the project with you in more detail. It is also an opportunity to ask questions and get a clearer understanding of what the client needs - no need to accept an assignment where you can't help the client.

Interview Question – None. The interview process was to clarify background and experience and understand what types of projects the Council Member was looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase for Council Members. The rates are generally fixed.

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview Details – Very brief interview process. Consisted of initial informational interview and was followed by 3 back-to-back 30 minute interviews a few days later. Nothing too difficult, mostly behavioral questions. Last interview really tests your desire to work there more than anything. Office culture really suggests a motivated environment and they want to be sure you'll fit in not only by personality and attitude, but by overall desire to make a difference in the company. No one in that office does the bare minimum required.

Interview Question – Last interview was most difficult, but still nothing to sweat over. After two rounds of basic behavioral interviews, switching over to the "why do you want to be here" questions required a quick change of thinking.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job out of college with no previous work experience in the field so I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer as it was.

Business Development Associate Interview

Business Development Associate
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in January 2013.

Interview Details – First, I was contacted by a recruiter who screened me and went over my resume. After they decided I might be a good fit, my resume was forwarded to a hiring manager. A phone interview was set up. On the phone interview questions about the business model, company's history, and my resume were presented. Questions were asked about what type of companies would be interested in the type of services they provide.After this, an in person interview was requested at their office in downtown Austin. Four people came in, one after another, and each lasted about half an hour. There were traditional questions about career path, and why GLG, etc.. and there were also GLG specific questions. For instance, "What market share are we currently trying to capture."

Interview Question – "Give me an example of a company who would use our service and how they would utilize it."   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

Research Manager
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter after having submitted my resume to them for business development and consulting roles.

I was looking to move to Austin, Texas but was still finishing work in London, UK - GLG was excellent with managing international communication and an interview schedule considering great distances and difficulties.

I had two phone interviews, a case study interview, and then four in person interviews (all on the same day) with people in the London office who had worked in the Austin office and could evaluate me on their behalf.

GLG was super efficient and easy to work with in communicating their needs and balancing being friendly and fair in interviews.

Interview Question – There was an informal case study at the final round which was challenging to find the right level of explanation and gauge how in depth to the case they wanted me to get. Asking about how a PE firm might utilize McKinsey and what role GLG would play in this scenario.   Answer Question

EI Research Manager Interview

EI Research Manager

Interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group

Interview Details – Series of phone call interviews which drug on for several (4 months). Was promised an electronic case study but then was emailed (after finding out two HR people had left the company and had to search down a new rep) that they were going with someone who could start sooner, even though they knew my availability at the beginning of the interview process. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – None - asked basic questions about background and what/how GLG works.   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

Research Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in February 2013.

Interview Details – Complete utter waste of time -- went through 6 rounds of interviews with no offer. Felt like a overglorified call center.

Interview Question – If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was offered a phone interview, asked situational questions and how each job requirement fits you and why. If phone interview goes well you are brought in for additional interviews and a case study.

Interview Question – If you could compare yourself to a superhero who would it be?   Answer Question