Gerson Lehrman Group Senior Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015
Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.6

Senior Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

I applied online, and heard back the next day with a brief email asking me some basic questions (would I ever require sponsorship to work in the United States, how soon could I start working, would I be willing to relocate, etc.). After responding to the email, they quickly set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty easy and the woman interviewing me was very friendly and professional. She asked me basic behavioral questions. A few days later I got an email saying that I would have a second phone interview. This one was a little longer, and the woman asked me some more basic questions. These were more situation based, rather than behavioral (i.e., rather than "what are you looking for in a job" it was "tell me about a time when you resolved a conflict"). This was still an easy, enjoyable interview. However, the next day I got an email saying that my background and experience was not a fit for the company. Overall, though, the interview experience was very enjoyable and the people I spoke with were very friendly.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you set a goal for yourself, and how you went about achieving it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gerson Lehrman Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in March 2015.

The interview process was long but well worth it in the end. I received the standard email with questions regarding pay rate and relocation interest. Next I had a standard phone interview with a very kind HR person. This interview was followed by two phone interviews with Senior Associates. The SAs were opposite personalities but both seemed engaged in the conversation which was very nice. These interviews were followed by a case study, which stressed me out the most. It wasn't difficult per se but it came with limited instruction. I worked very hard on it and then had a call with a research manager to go over the results. Again, the interviewer was very kind. Finally, I went on a super interview day in Austin meeting with 7 individuals over 4 hours. It was a whirlwind but luckily there was a coffee interview at one point.

The interviewers all have very different interview styles and personalities (like any business). You must be able to adapt to this and not be put off by competitive or intelligent people. You will be working with a million different personalities in the day to day work of this position so the interview is ideal to test your abilities.

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

I went through a very long and thorough interview process. I was referred by a family friend and had a phone interview with HR quite quickly. The main emphasis on this call was explaining the business model and showing genuine interest and excitement towards the company. After only 15 or so minutes I guess I passed the screening and had another phone interview set up.
    The next interview was with 2 people in the Senior Associate position. They were very nice and the conversations were laid back and easy. They were pretty standard behavioral questions with the again emphasized "explain what GLG does?" question again. I feel like at this point you just need to interview well because it's not very difficult questions-wise. Just tailor your strengths to the company's culture (intelligence, hardwork, curiousity, and team work). Both interviews were around 30 minutes long and I recieved word that I had made it to the next round: The case study.
    The case study was on a shortage in the supply chain for mobile devices and was overall quite interesting. I spent a long time on it but really enjoyed the work because it was pretty cool. I think going a thorough job is important for this. I really tried to go above and beyond the answer requirements and I think it showed how excited I was about the company and the level of work I could do. After completing the case study there was a thirty minute case review which was mostly straightforward. As long as you know each of your answers well and have a good grasp on the background of the case you should pass the questions easily. After the review I was invited to the on site interview in Austin.
    The on site interviews were along the same lines as the previous interviews but slightly more intense. First I had lunch with 2 Associates which was less an interview and more a conversation. They were very friendly and I felt like they were there more to show off the people in the company than to evaluate me. After lunch I went through a series of 4 interviews with people in positions ranging from Associate to head of the Austin office. They started to get repetitive because the first question was always explaining the business model. The most important thing is to keep your energy up. It's esy to have 1 or 2 good interviews in a row but by the 5th it gets a little exhausting. I researched all the interviewers beforehand and found out my last interview was the most important. It was also the hardest. The interviewer told me that my GPA was very bad and basically tried to keep me off balance by never giving me a completely positive response. I kept my cool though, or at least tried to and managed to answer his slightly harder behavioral questions without a snag. Overall everyone I met was very personable and nice. The Austin office seems like it is full of smart young people who work hard but have lives outside GLG. I really grew to like this company more and more as the process went on.
    Around a week after my on site interview I recieved an offer and accepted. GLG is looking for curious, smart people and I feel like I was able to show these traits through each interview. I feel like you just have to highlight your strengths and be able to engage the mostly laid back interviewers and you'll do well.

Interview Questions
    • What is GLG's business model? Is your GPA representative of your intelligence? What is something you are interested in now?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in February 2015.

The phone interview was about 15 minutes long; it felt very rushed and scripted. It made me feel unwelcome and frustrated because the recruiter was speaking very quickly. A short interview such as this over the phone does not give applicants a fair opportunity to express their qualifications well and ultimately get selected. For a company that values one-to-one communication, I was disappointed with my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why my resume experience is relevant to the role I applied for, how I heard about the company, and the business model in my own words about the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in February 2015.

Sent application via GLG.it, then had a phone interview with HR, then was told there would be another phone interview, and finally an in-person interview. Followed up a week later after not hearing anything after the first interview, got a short email stating: thanks, but no thanks.

The phone interviewer asked questions very quickly, as if to catch the interviewee off-guard. It was not friendly feeling conversation and if the interview experience is indicative of the company culture, I'm excited about not getting the job. It wouldn't have been a good fit for me or for them.

I stopped by the office in person to do some recon and found that everyone sits in desks so close to one another that you can't even extend your arms without accidentally hitting other people in the face. It reminded me of Milton's experience in the movie OfficeSpace, being pushed further back into his cube in order to make room for more boxes.

If you like cramped, boiler-room phone culture, then GLG might be your dream job. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste your time.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?
      What is your GPA?
      Why do you want to leave your current position?

Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in January 2015.

Applied as a senior through my college campus. First round was a behavioral interview, basically just running through the resume and testing my level of knowledge in their company. No case style questions. The interview was not particularly difficult, but my interviewer did not seem all that interested in me from the start. I did not get a callback.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe to your best understanding what GLG does for our clients"   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in December 2014.

A friend of the family works for this company and recommended me for the job. She sent me resume to HR. Soon after, I received a mass email asking for my GPA, salary requirements, if I am able to legally work in the US and start date. After answering those questions, I received another email with a phone interview time. The recruiter then called me and asked two questions. 1. What is GLG's business model? 2. What is your current job? She seemed to be in a very bad mood and in a rush. After answering - I did happen to know their business model after reading other reviews on Glassdoor - she asked if I had any questions. I did. I asked about their culture and more in depth about the position itself. She was very snippy and short. I could tell she was ready to end the conversation. After she answered, she asked "Is that it?" I said yes and we ended the call. I was unimpressed with the experience, and after the attitude from the recruiter, I decided to not pursue the position anymore.

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interviewed on campus with 2 senior folk separately. One of them was HR and was primarily fit based, the other had some "what would you do to accomplish X" questions thrown in. Was invited to the next round to complete a 'case study' which involved a sample of the type of work one would do at GLG, but by that point I had already accepted another offer. Pretty laid-back process overall.

Interview Questions
    • As I said, just a couple of "how would you go about accomplishing task X" questions. Was also asked what I do for fun and what the last couple books I read were.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Applied for the senior associate program in Austin. Was contacted by recruiter in New York, and proceeded to go to through an initial phone interview, case review interview, and in-person interview. The initial phone interview was with 2 different people, one senior associate and a research manager. I was then provided a case-study, and then invited to Austin for an interview. The people were generally friendly, and responsive.

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in September 2014.

-Received a phone call upon resume submission
    -Was moved onto the second round
    -Had two phone interviews with two different employees, very nice people
    -They asked about my resume, career goals, and why I want to start a career at GLG
    -They were very friendly, and led on that I was a good candidate
    -Surprised when I was not asked to continue on with the interview process