Getty Images

2.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Getty Images in January 2014.

Applied through website, and received a call from HR, Phone, onsite.

Interview Questions
    • Know your work history and be able to articulate your strengths on why you would be a perfect fit for your job. know your resume   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Getty Images.

Since pair programming is important to Getty, my interview was a mock pairing session. I sat with two guys and a laptop, and was asked to solve a relatively simple coding question using TDD (test driven development). They had already set up the solution in Visual Studio and stubbed out the class we were going to write.

I also had a quick chat about some trivia (aka what are SOLID principles, what does the keyword virtual mean, what's the difference between a span and div).

Finally, I had a 10 min session with my potential manager, where he asked me the normal sort of questions like, why did I leave my previous company, what was the most challenging problem I had to solve, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Programming while someone watches you was a new experience for me.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Getty Images in January 2013.

The interview is usually run by a panel. The first round is with a recruiter and no the HR department. After the recruiter you will meet with the department hiring manager. If you make it past the hiring manager you get to meet the team. Based on passing you get the usual background check and offer letter. Here is where the meat is. Be sure that before you get the offer in writing that you have made clear what you expect for a salary.

Interview Questions
    • The hard questions are problems that the company is actually having in relation to the job that you are applying for. Be sure that you really understand the role and your responsibities, There is no wrong answer. Your thought process and problem solving skills are being tested.   Answer Question

The amount of money was not good enough BUT it was higher than industry standard.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Getty Images in December 2012.

6 half-hour interviews in 3 hours, plus bookends by recruiters. Very conversational style, no hardball questions. In fact, they kind of spent a lot of time talking about themselves and the company, and I didn't really feel like I had to say much.

Interview Questions
    • After the interview loop, I was asked to write a three-page business case.   Answer Question
    They were offering a good salary and the title I wanted. I asked for more, they said no, so I went with their original offer.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Getty Images.

Interviewed with director of my org and the director of HR. Primarily informational, without any scenario based questions. I asked a few questions about their specific needs and the roles and responsibilities laid out in the job description. The interview went well, without any surprises, gotcha questions or scenario questions. It moved along quickly, then it was over with. Within a week, I was asked back to meet with some peers. This went reasonably well, with one individual focused on asking 'gotcha' type questions. It didn't go as smoothly as the first interview, but it was satisfactory. In general, I didn't feel that there was a great deal of 'meat' to either interview. I didn't feel that I had a good sense of whether it was a good fit or not. However, within a week, they made me an attractive offer which I accepted.

I did not negotiate on the offer. I was looking for work, the offer was more than fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Getty Images.

Perfectly normal interview. 4 sections that covered normal things for developers who have to know something about front and back end development in web sites

Interview Questions
    • What would you rate your skills in xyz? (Who asks this still? We all know the continuum is different for everyone)   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Getty Images in May 2012.

This was an unprofessional interview but the company sounded interesting.

There were two interviews. The first was a 60 min technical interview with a web developer and software test developer. The second was a 30 min interview with the team lead.

In the first interview I was greeted with, "I'm a horrible interviewer." Followed closely by "This isn't usual, but neither of us have even glanced at your resume. Nor have we talked with each other about what we're going to go over."

I misunderstood several questions because they were worded oddly and I had to figure out what they were asking. I answered them the best I could but it was obvious I wasn't giving them the answer they wanted even for technically straight-forward answers.

The last 20 min involved a pair-programming exercise that involved very strict test-driven development practices (i.e. you don't write a line of code until you've created a test for it and you don't write a second line of code until you write a test for it.) This was another culture fit scenario gauging how work with other people pair programming .

The second interview was a relaxed culture fit interview which gauged my fit with the company's style.

Interview Questions
    • What is a static method?   View Answer
    • What is the virtual keyword in C# and when would you use it?   View Answer
    • How would you create an accordion-style nav menu using css and javascript without using jQuery.   View Answer

Enterprise Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Getty Images in August 2010.

Weird. When I asked the HR manager what the culture of the company was like, she spent the time putting down Microsoft and Amazon's culture. I thought....good...now tell me about your company. When I asked about parking she was evasive and said employees had parking. Then when I asked if it was paid for, she said they had to pay for it and forgot how much she paid for it. The HR manager also screwed up and booked me for a time that I could not commit to for a face to face interview. Then never returned my phone calls until the hiring director called her. She made it my problem and she wasn't gracious about it. When she spoke to me about moving the time, she repeated three times that they really liked some other guy in the hiring process. Why are you telling me that? I suggested that perhaps she should hire him. She was very unprofessional.

The face to face interview was weird too. The head of PM was petulant and attempted to make it clear that architect do what she tells them to do - and they should involve her in their approach, but it doesn't work the other way around. The head of tech came in a draped himself on the chair and spoke of glory days at the company when they got gobs of money from print magazines. And he didn't seem to think this mobile thing or services thing would take off. And the Enterprise Architect position was not about long term planning but strictly one-off projects and would code when overflow occurred, which was often (because they don't plan or reward discipline or vision.) The head of Architecture, I can't say enough about him, but ask him, he will. Again, no vision, little understanding of modern practices, and also: doesn't think this mobile thing or services thing will take off. But will tell you he's a web service expert...that doesn't know what a DTD is and argued that such a thing doesn't exist. I asked what are the first projects for this Enteprise Architect, and he said to code a feature on their search engine to "see if you can code." So...I'm supposed to give up my current job so you can "see" if I can code? For an Enteprise Architect position? Dude, you are laying down a salary -- you should test this during the interview if it is important to you so you don't waste anyone's time. Also, doesn't the head of development lead the developers?

Furthermore, I didn't see any evidence that they knew what Enterprise Architecture meant. Sorta important if you are applying for such a job. The technical question during the interview was to design a database for the Amazon website. When I said, it was probably multiple databases and identity stores that supported the first page, he looked at me puzzled. So brought it to the small and designed an item table and he vaguely looked like this was familar territory to him. This was the technical part of the interview. No coding. And more importantly, no architecture questions. All hat and no cattle as they say.

Interview Questions
    • Design the database for the Amazon front page. Seriously.   Answer Question

Life is too short to leap on this sinking ship, if you've got some place else to go. People who just need a job, I can understand taking such a job until something better comes along. But it's a shame. I hoped it would be better, even if I never worked there, because great places raise the bar for everyone. Hey, they talked so much about Amazon in a negative way, perhaps we should look there!

There are good companies in Seattle that have a great future. I read the poor reviews on Glassdoor, but I had to see for myself who they were and what they do. Boy, it's a crony atmosphere and they are milking it while they can. Every third person is a director above entry level, because only directors can get bonuses. But the days of making directors are over after they went private, and there is no room for advancement. I'm have a desire to move up sort and want a place I can grow over a few years. In a few years, they may be much smaller as revenue shrinks and they can't imagine new ways of working and don't even know what an architecture group is supposed to be about, what with the no long term planning, no blueprinting really, and these new fangled technologies other than Flash and Ruby aren't really going anywhere.

Senior User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Getty Images in February 2010.

I had 2 phone interviews, the first with the HR rep and then a second one with the hiring manager. About 1.5 weeks later I came in to the office for 4 hours of interviews. I first talked with the HR rep and then shown to a conference room where I met, in succession, the Lead UX designer, another UX designer, the hiring manager and the two current UX researchers.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to design a UX study to get feedback on a web page (30 minutes to prep) and then run a usability session.   Answer Question
    I accepted the offer without negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Getty Images in October 2009.

Phone screen followed by in person interviews