Gexpro Interview Questions

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

3.1

Inside Sales Interview

Met representatives through college recruiting on campus. They were very friendly and after a short conversation asked for my resume. A few days later I was called for an initial interview. The interview consisted of a few basic behavioral questions, then a few questions about perceived weaknesses. I was selected for a second round interview which was much more intensive. The second round involved a dinner, then a day of rotating through the home office for several one on one interviews. Most questions were based on personality and some on problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • What do you imagine is the biggest difference between leadership in a fraternity and leadership at a corporation?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gexpro.

Though I have heard of some pretty advanced interview processes for DSLP candidates, there was none for interns; most likely because there is not much competition for interns.

Interview Questions
    • For a possible follow-up internship next year, I was asked, "What could you bring to Gexpro." The reason that this question is so complicated is because first you have to analyze exactly WHICH field you plan to go into. This being both a supply-chain, sales, solutions, and electrical distribution company, there are many many different paths to take.

Once you determine the path you think will be for you in the future, really consider what it is about you that makes you the ideal candidate for an asset in that area.

View Answer
    The negotiation stage is NOT a pass/fail. Don't worry about this phase at all. If someone asks for too much as a startup, the worst answer they are going to get is "no", but they are not going to get turned away. Obviously the company wants you, or they wouldn't be asking you about pay rate anyways. For interns in their first year, expect $15-$16 hourly. For inside sales, expect $38.5k annual. DSLP ~$34 annual.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Gexpro in July 2013.

Hiring manager conducted the interview in a comfortable and inconspicous location putting me at ease. His questions:-) were relevant and forthright.

Interview Questions
    • Names of firms and contacts in trading area.   View Answer

DSLP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

interviewed at Gexpro in December 2012.

First meeting was on-campus. 2 weeks later I had my first interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was different since it seemed more like a conversation than an interview.   Answer Question

Sourcing and Inventory Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gexpro.

I received email immediately after applying. I was contacted to arrange an interview more than a month later. Three people interviewed me individually: Sourcing & Inventory Manager, Ops Manager, and HR. Many of their questions were the same, indicating that they had not planned/coordinated their questions. I waited almost a month before receiving word that another candidate had been chosen.

I found this a VERY slow process. I suspect that many of the best candidates are lost to other employers.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a recent situation in which you..."

The interviewers had the same list of behavior based/situation based questions. If the interviewee has no direct parallel, it may be difficult to answer them.

Answer Question

Finance Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gexpro in October 2012.

I applied through my school and I got an on campus interview. The night before there was and information session where the interviewers showed a powerpoint. The interview was relaxed, and just behavioral questions. It lasted about 30 minutes. I didn't get through to the second round.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you faced a difficult situation in work or school, and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gexpro in October 2011.

Had a phone interview, then scheduled an 1on1 interview on my college campus. Felt very rushed during the on campus interview, since there were only 30min slots reserved for each candidate. Interviewed with the head of HR, not the hiring manager. Basically just asked about my resume. Answered questions about my education, hobbies, and mostly about past work experiences. Was then allowed to ask questions about the company and the said position, and then the interview was over.

Interview Questions
    • Have you experienced disagreements in the workplace, and if so how did you handle them.   View Answer
    • How have you been a leader in the workplace?   View Answer

Quality Control Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gexpro in November 2010.

Basically, if you have experience, you can get a job here. The management over this department is sub par and if you flash a smile and do the bare minimum, your mediocrity will be rewarded.

Interview Questions
    • They get their questions off the internet.
      I was asked what basketball team i root for, what religion I identified with, etc...

Answer Question
    "I can pay you this much."

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gexpro in March 2010.

It was a very positive experience for me. They asked a multitude of technical accounting and finance questions that were fairly simple and straightforward. They are looking for people who are interested in finance, who have business or internship experience and leadership ability. This position is focused for people who will continue to grow within the company.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gexpro in April 2009.

Initial phone interview with hiring manager then followed up by 1:1 interviews with hiring manager and 3 members of management staff and HR.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you made a recent major or life change decision. What was it and how did it effect you? Would you do it over again if you had a chance to do it again?   Answer Question