Gexpro Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2015

2.8

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gexpro (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

Up front and basic interviews mostly directed at past experiences and comfort level driving sales to meet or exceed goals set by management. Started with phone interviews then progressed to face to face interviews. I was given four phone interviews. One with an HR recruiter then one with a manager of HR, then the local branch manager and finally the area manager. Face to face interviews followed with the local branch manager and operations manager. Then the final one was with the area manager. All were pretty up front about expectations and focused on what I could bring to the company.

Interview Questions

• What was one situation where you had a customer become irate about an order that was filled wrong? And how did you go about rectifying that situation?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Interview

Met representatives through college recruiting on campus. They were very friendly and after a short conversation asked for my resume. A few days later I was called for an initial interview. The interview consisted of a few basic behavioral questions, then a few questions about perceived weaknesses. I was selected for a second round interview which was much more intensive. The second round involved a dinner, then a day of rotating through the home office for several one on one interviews. Most questions were based on personality and some on problem solving.

Interview Questions

• What do you imagine is the biggest difference between leadership in a fraternity and leadership at a corporation?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gexpro.

Interview

Though I have heard of some pretty advanced interview processes for DSLP candidates, there was none for interns; most likely because there is not much competition for interns.

Interview Questions

• For a possible follow-up internship next year, I was asked, "What could you bring to Gexpro." The reason that this question is so complicated is because first you have to analyze exactly WHICH field you plan to go into. This being both a supply-chain, sales, solutions, and electrical distribution company, there are many many different paths to take.

Once you determine the path you think will be for you in the future, really consider what it is about you that makes you the ideal candidate for an asset in that area.

1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation stage is NOT a pass/fail. Don't worry about this phase at all. If someone asks for too much as a startup, the worst answer they are going to get is "no", but they are not going to get turned away. Obviously the company wants you, or they wouldn't be asking you about pay rate anyways. For interns in their first year, expect $15-$16 hourly. For inside sales, expect $38.5k annual. DSLP ~$34 annual.

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Gexpro in July 2013.

Interview

Hiring manager conducted the interview in a comfortable and inconspicous location putting me at ease. His questions:-) were relevant and forthright.

Interview Questions

• Names of firms and contacts in trading area.   1 Answer

DSLP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Application

interviewed at Gexpro (Hayward, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

First meeting was on-campus. 2 weeks later I had my first interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions

• Interview was different since it seemed more like a conversation than an interview.   Answer Question

Sourcing and Inventory Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gexpro (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I received email immediately after applying. I was contacted to arrange an interview more than a month later. Three people interviewed me individually: Sourcing & Inventory Manager, Ops Manager, and HR. Many of their questions were the same, indicating that they had not planned/coordinated their questions. I waited almost a month before receiving word that another candidate had been chosen.

I found this a VERY slow process. I suspect that many of the best candidates are lost to other employers.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a recent situation in which you..."

The interviewers had the same list of behavior based/situation based questions. If the interviewee has no direct parallel, it may be difficult to answer them.

Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gexpro in October 2012.

Interview

I applied through my school and I got an on campus interview. The night before there was and information session where the interviewers showed a powerpoint. The interview was relaxed, and just behavioral questions. It lasted about 30 minutes. I didn't get through to the second round.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you faced a difficult situation in work or school, and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gexpro (Houston, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Had a phone interview, then scheduled an 1on1 interview on my college campus. Felt very rushed during the on campus interview, since there were only 30min slots reserved for each candidate. Interviewed with the head of HR, not the hiring manager. Basically just asked about my resume. Answered questions about my education, hobbies, and mostly about past work experiences. Was then allowed to ask questions about the company and the said position, and then the interview was over.

Interview Questions

• Have you experienced disagreements in the workplace, and if so how did you handle them.   1 Answer
    • How have you been a leader in the workplace?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gexpro (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

1 interview in person, very informal, more of a conversation than an interview. the interviewer came in and put his feet up on the desk which made me feel a little uncomfortable

Quality Control Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gexpro (Irving, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

Basically, if you have experience, you can get a job here. The management over this department is sub par and if you flash a smile and do the bare minimum, your mediocrity will be rewarded.

Interview Questions

• They get their questions off the internet.
      I was asked what basketball team i root for, what religion I identified with, etc...

Answer Question

Negotiation

"I can pay you this much."