Giant Eagle

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Johnstown, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Giant Eagle in March 2011.

Interview Details – Meet with an Human Resources Representative from Corporate. Drug test and background check are required. They ask you a series of questions in a private room and you respond with personal experiences. It usually takes about 3 days to a week to hear back about employment.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Roaring Spring, PA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Giant Eagle in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was simple. I applied online and then waited for a call to tell me they wanted to interview me. I went in for my first interview with the stores recruiter, then a second interview with the store manager. After that interview he offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – What would you do if you had a long line of customers and someone needed you to assist them in finding an item in the store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Bolivar, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Giant Eagle in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on the Giant Eagle Careers website which has its job postings helpfully listed in many different ways depending on your search parameters.

When I applied I applied to around 10-15 jobs all at once. After 3-5 business days I was contacted by a recruiter. They mentioned that the position they wanted me for was 15 miles away, and asked if I was OK with this. I explained I was indeed.

The recruiter told me there would be a group interview in 2 days at a location closer to my home.

At the group interview there was 4 other people. We were instructed to wait in the cafe within Giant Eagle with the other interviewees. The recruiter took us upstairs to an employee room with two other actual employees and the recruiter herself. We took our name placards and sat down, the employees had clipboards and were seemingly taking notes of us throughout the interview.

We were each assigned a partner to mock interview with questions on a piece of paper, then reading back the results out loud. There were a few other exercises as they wanted to see how we interacted with people we've never met, while also cleverly having questions that would show our employment backround and generally how we all behaved.

I was sure to be as respectful as possible (my normal self) and explain my experience in a positive manner when the chance presented itself (which was a few times throughout the interview), while being as socially outgoing as possible with the other interviewees. It was a really pleasant process and everyone was really nice.

At the end of the group interview we were informed we'd get a call in a 2-3 days if they wanted another interview with us.

I was called a day later from the original recruiter and they told me while I never applied for cashier at the store near me (I applied to Lot Attendant at a store farther away as I mentioned earlier) they wanted to interview me 1 on 1 for that.

This interview was on a Saturday (the group interview was on a Thursday, the first call was that Monday, it is now the following Tuesday as the cashier position was offered to me and I complete the saliva drug test) and consisted of meeting another recruiter/managerial type and answering some questions from a small packet of paper. They mentioned that the "real" interview was mainly the group interview and that this interview was mostly a formality.

And today I was offered the position of cashier on the phone and to come in for the saliva drug test. The backround check will be conducted today and I will start sometime next week.

Interview Questions

• What is a weakness you have (in terms of a cashier position)? (1 on 1)   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you had to stop working to deal with something that just came up. (Group interview)   View Answer
  • Say a man came in with a whole cooked chicken, his wife messed up and the chicken is burned and charred, he is asking you for a new chicken, what would you do? (Group interview)   View Answer
  • If you seen a child playing on a cart and their mother apparently did not care how would you react? (1 on 1)   View Answer
  • If you late waking up in the morning and didn't have time for breakfast and as you came in the store there was a line forming at an empty register what would you do? (1 on 1)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't a negotiation phase. In the first phone call before the group interview the recruiter stated I'd be making $8.50 an hour for the first 90 days (not work days or business days, all days in total) after which it would raise .50, then after 6 months I believe it goes up once more but I could be wrong.

Monroeville, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Giant Eagle in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very relaxed got the job on the spot didnt really ask many questions

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Lewis Center, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Giant Eagle in August 2009.

Interview Details – They changed the interview process since I was hired but my application was over the phone and I waited for a call back with my interview time and date. I went through 2 interviews and was hired on after the 2nd one.

Interview Question – Why do I want this job and what can I bring to the table?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were during the 2nd interview

Lyndhurst, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Giant Eagle in October 2008.

Interview Details – You first had a phone interview, on site interview, and then called in for ten hour training including video and in store tour. The questions in the interview were basic considering it was just for a cashier position. Know previous examples of where you showed great customer service or gave back to the community if you don't have any previous job experience.

Interview Question – Name a time when you failed?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, it's a little above minimum wage

Akron, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Giant Eagle in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was extensive. There was first a 10-15 minutes phone interview, after which you're invited to a group interview that takes about 2 hours. After the group interview you interview with the manager of the position you are applying for. That interview is one on one, and they ask pretty typical team-related questions, as well as ethical questions concerning how you would react if you see a child acting unsafely. They ask attitude questions, for example, how you would you react if a customer was rude. After the one on one interview you have to do a drug test and wait for a background check.

Interview Question – The position is pretty basic so I didn't consider any of the questions very difficult.   Answer Question

Beachwood, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at Giant Eagle in June 2009.

Interview Details – Everything was very quick. I had a 1 on 1 interview with the manager, who was really nice. Asked me about my strengths and weaknesses and why i felt i would be good for the job.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Giant Eagle in August 2011.

Interview Details – After you apply online, if a recruiter likes what they see in your application, they will contact you and conduct a phone interview. During the phone interview they will discuss the position duties, pay, and hours. They will also ask a few questions similar to the types of questions you would get during a real interview ("tell me about a time when..." ,etc).

After the phone interview, if you express interest in the position, you are called in for a group/panel interview, during which you perform a few team exercises, such as interviewing another person, and creating an advertisement. I think this gives the recruiters a chance to evaluate your personality and how you react to different situations.

If you pass the group interview, you are then called in for a one on one interview with both one of the recruiting heads, and the team lead in your department. The questions for this interview consist of a lot of customer service scenarios (what would you do if this happened?) and a lot of "tell me about a time when..." questions. Not extremely difficult, but not the easiest interview I've ever had either. Both the group interview and the one on one interview each took about 1 hour. I mostly enjoyed the group interview and the chance to meet some interesting people.

After the 2nd interview, I didn't get offered the position, but I think it may have more to do with my background and qualifications rather than how I did during the interview. If you know you are qualified and have a background relating to the grocery industry, or are just starting out (need a job while in school, etc). go for it!

Interview Question – Customer is at the bakery and there is only one cake left in the case. Customer needs two cakes for his daughter's birthday party which is in an hour? What do you do?   View Answer

Wexford, PA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Giant Eagle in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted first by a HR manager, then 2 other department managers within the store. There was a drug test that followed the interviews. The only way to apply to Giant Eagle is through their online hiring website. Afterwards, I was contacted via email to set up an interview. After the interview (they immediately extend the offer), you are expected to attend 2 orientation sessions before starting work.

Interview Question – Okay, how about this scenario. The store is really busy, it's father's day and there's a very long line at the deli section. A very irritated and frustrated women finally makes her way to the counter and asks for a sausage that unfortunately is not in stock. As a customer service champion, how would you react to this situation, (with regards to her irritated mood)   View Answer

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!