Giant Eagle Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.2

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Giant Eagle (Rockville, MD).

Interview

I was an extern while working there initially. Luckily my willing to learn caught the attention of the manager and the pharmacist. They asked me if I want a permanent position, and never really gave me a formal interveiw. I just filled out an app and started on the payroll a month later.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in McMurray, PA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Giant Eagle (McMurray, PA).

Interview

Interview was a little nerve wracking. They ask very un realistic questions, but at the same time they do want to make sure everyone they hire is friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Questions such as "Name a time when..." "What would you do if..."   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Giant Eagle.

Interview

I first had to answer a bunch of questions online then got the phone call and was asked a few simple questions over the phone. After that I was sent in for an interview then a second interview and got offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Giant Eagle.

Interview

Applied online and was called in during on of their open interviews. I was interviewed by one of their executive chefs and he wa nice. Was informed of the role and the Tasks involved. Did a drug test and that was it.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Giant Eagle.

Interview

Phone screen, group interview with 8 other people with role playing and presentations, one on one interview with corporate HR where they ask you basic background questions and normal situational questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to make a difficult decision and it ended up being the wrong one.   Answer Question

Interview

It took about a month in all. 2 interviews and a math test. Lengthy but good process. Met in a store I would not work at with a leader I would not work for. Also I was never told where I will work.

Registered Dietitian Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Giant Eagle.

Interview

Online application requires extensive personality assessment. Phone screening with HR to discuss resume and experiences. A few weeks later had a phone interview with hiring manager in nutrition department. Discussed experiences and qualifications for the position. Asked appropriate questions regarding the job details. Explained that the next step would be face to face interviews conducted in the next couple weeks. Did not get called back for the next round of interviews despite years of experience.

Part-Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Giant Eagle (Carmel, IN) in July 2015.

Interview

I went to an open interview event for the new Market District in Carmel, IN. I recently finished my masters degree in business and was looking for long-term part-time work to supplement my full-time job, primarily to help pay off student loans. I had heard on the radio that Market District was having open interviews at a local hotel and they were giving sign on bonuses. So I decided to check it out. The whole process was about an hour long. I signed in, filled out an app on one of their laptops, sat in a waiting room where many other candidates were waiting. At one point, I overheard a recruiter offering a prep-cook job to another candidate and offered him $11.50/hr. Not bad for a part-time gig! So, I rocked the crap out of my interview, seemed to have delighted the recruiter, answered all the questions as if I were the owner of the company and always put the guest first. The recruiter said I answered all the questions beautifully, exactly the way Market District/Giant Eagle would have wanted me to respond (which...common sense will help you with your answers). The recruiter offered me a job right then and there, to be a cashier and eventually move into a front-end supervisor type position based on my experience/education, and offered me the minimum pay rate for the position, which was $9/hr.

Interview Questions

• 1. A guest wants to try a certain cracker, what do you do? 2. Another guest brings you spoiled salmon from Costco and wants it exchanged with your salmon, what do you do? 3. Sell us this Market District brand BBQ sauce.   1 Answer

I stated I had heard them offer someone else $11.50 for a prep-cook job, and asked how I would be able to make that. She went and checked with her boss and came back stating "you would need three years of cashier experience to make that, do you have 3 years of cashier experience?" I said no, but I have a bachelors degree in business, a masters degree in business, 2 years of full-time sales experience, 1 year of full-time customer service experience, and 4 years of part-time produce clerk experience while I was in school. She went to check with her boss again, and ultimately said they wouldn't go up from their minimum starting wage because "I didn't specifically have 3 years worth of cashier experience." I stated I was no longer interested and left. I understand they have checklists and flowcharts they have to follow in order to offer someone a higher wage, but to say three years worth of cashier experience would trump the above listed education and experience, well...I guess I don't have what it takes then. Good luck!

Pharmacy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Giant Eagle (Columbus, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

1) Phone Interview with general questions 2) One on one interview with the pharmacy manager with some of the same questions Honestly, these interviews felt like a waste of my time. I was expecting them to be pharmacy based but they were super generalized. The questions were easy to answer since they are the typical retail/service industry questions. Iwas not offered a job because I did not have an open enough availability during the school year. The recruiter from the initial phone interview told me there was a 12 hour a month minimum (which I could definitely manage) but then the pharmacy manager told me he was looking for someone to work 4 days a week year round (which is next-to-impossible during the school year for me).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where the exceeded your own expectations. Describe a time where you had to deliver bad news. Describe a time where you were able to come up with a creative solution to something. Describe a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer (person) etc, etc   1 Answer

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Parma, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Giant Eagle (Parma, OH).

Interview

There was a one to one interview to review skills and abilities. They wanted to know what work experiences and or background I had would help me to be a successful employee.

Negotiation

none, Pay is negotiated through a union.