Giant Food Stores

Updated Nov 29, 2014
Updated Nov 29, 2014

1.7

Deli Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Giant Food Stores.

Called maybe a month after applying. Asked if I would be interested in a position other than what I had applied for. Guy who interviewed me was really nice; very professional. Unfortunately the rest of the management I interacted with was the complete opposite. Otherwise, it was a run of the mill interview nothing unexpected. They were looking for people with a lot of Customer Service background. If you are looking at this for a first job it might be difficult to get the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Regarding being a new hire , I was given absolutely no on the job training at all. Co-workers took time to show me a few things. I appreciated it because they didn't have to. Without that I would have been completely lost. No official training; extreme turnover rate for this position as far as I could gather.   Answer Question
    Slightly over minimum wage. Can't remember I think it was $8-9

Cashier Interview

After you submit your application, they call you in for an "interview." Piece of cake. Show your ID, tell them the hours that you are available to work, and you're hired! :)

I accepted the job...

Checkout Coach Interview

interviewed at Giant Food Stores in October 2013.

The interview Went great... The manager was a very nice guy. It took 1 1/2 weeks to be cleared to start. I started getting nervous.
    I am looking forward to learning all the jobs. Nice pay too.
    I love working with people on both sides of the counter. Looking forward to starting. I will know more after I start and keep you posted.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Giant Food Stores.

Very easy interview process. Mostly ask simple questions such as why are you applying to this job, previous experience, and availability. I don't think they ask any difficult questions, anybody who can do manual labor and speak English or Spanish can get the job. The work is very low-skill and repetitive so I would only recommend this job to high-school students.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about why I looked angry in my DL picture. Probably because I had to wait at the MVA for 5 hours to get it...   Answer Question
    No negotiation, take or leave the base pay, slightly higher for stock clerks that for cashiers.

Checkout Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Giant Food Stores in August 2013.

Received phone call about the interview shortly after applying online. Went to the location and interviewed with Juan, the store manager, and Jim, the Relief Manager. They asked me a series of questions pertaining to what I currently do and how I would handle certain situations.

Interview Questions
    • It had to pertain to a sexual harassment situation. I missed two of the five steps. I went into work later that day and researched the steps I missed and called Juan back to let him know.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate. Took the position offered to me.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Giant Food Stores.

Applied via internet they called me a week later and then I started working a week after that. Moved up into current position rather quickly.

Interview Questions
    • None interview was 10 mins long. They just hire people off the street, literally.   Answer Question
    None, it is what it is.

Pricing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Limerick, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Limerick, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Giant Food Stores in July 2013.

I only had one interview, I dressed casual business. The woman was friendly, but didn't ask too many questions. Over all it was a really easy interview and I knew by the end of the day if I got the job or not. They do always seem to push to hire for cashiering or baggers.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't many difficult questions; the hardest one was "If there is a problem with a customer or another employee how would you handle the situation?"   Answer Question
    It was pretty cut and dry. This is how much I can start you at, the only hours I can guarantee is 12. If you have prior experience they usually start you higher than minimum wage anyways so it's not too much of a problem.

Grocery Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Giant Food Stores.

I put in an application online for one store, and didn't get a call back for a few months. They built a new store that I was unaware of like twenty miles away, so they called and offered me a position there instead of at the place I applied for.

The person who called basically just asked if I was still interested, and if I would be willing to go to the new store. I said I was, so we set up a date and time for an interview. I wore khaki's and a polo if I remember correctly. I came in, they sat me down, and the interview began.

Essentially, they asked why I wanted the job, about my previous experience that I had written on the application, and then the hiring manager wrote a number on a piece of paper, slid it over to me, and said "How does that sound?". It was 8.30 an hour, which was more than minimum wage and this was my first over-the-table job so I was like "Sounds great!". So they wrote down a schedule for the introduction/training session, and off I went. I then came in for the training session, and they basically had like 8 people there.

We went on a tour of the grocery store (back room, compactor, walk in fridges, etc), watched a video about customer service, were given uniforms and all that jazz, and were set up with online accounts to view our hours and what not. Then they gave me the hours I was supposed to start working, and that was that.

Interview Questions
    • None, they asked like 3 questions that I was prepared for, then hired me. Probably because I was dressed ok and well spoken and stuff. They did ask "Why do you want this position?"   View Answer
    Basically, they offered me 8.30 and I took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Giant Food Stores in April 2013.

I applied for the position online and received a call to come in for an interview about a week later. I went in to the interview and had to wait about 10 minutes before the lady that conducted my interview came out, and she gave me the interview in her office. The interview was very easy, she mostly just asked questions about myself, such as hobbies and my previous work experience. After she was done asking questions, she proceeded to explain to me the pay and the training process, starting pay being $8.00hr, which was more than I was expecting. After the interview she told me that I would be getting a phone call sometime the following Monday. I did receive the call and I was offered the position, which I took.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when to went above and beyond to help a costumer?   View Answer

Dairy Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Giant Food Stores in April 2013.

i went to the interview and spoke to the store manager and we talked about the requirements of the position and the starting salary, i wasn't given credit for my stocking experience, no background check, no drug testing, no orientation. I started with the dairy lead for training that following week and was up to speed in 2 days of work

there were no negotiations