Gibson Guitar

Updated Nov 11, 2014
Updated Nov 11, 2014

2.6

Executive Vice President Interview

interviewed at Gibson Guitar in July 2014.

I actually never got to interview. I was called on a Friday for a Monday interview with the CEO. I called the recruiter back and left him a message letting him know that Monday would not work. I received a return to this call from the recruiter on Monday that went to my voicemail (as I had a full day of interviews with another company). The recruiter again asked if I could meet the CEO at the exact same time on Monday. I called back on Tuesday and left a message stating that I had interviews the day before and apologized for not being able to reschedule. Tuesday afternoon I received a form rejection letter stating that Gibson would go in another direction with the job. What a joke. I should have trusted all of the things that others have said about Gibson on Glassdoor and just not bothered them.

Final Assembly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gibson Guitar in May 2014.

Interveiwed with four different managers, I feel everything went well. Still waiting on background check. Hasn"t heard back yet. Hopefully they will be contacting me soon. Having experience with guitars is a definate plus. Seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • why would I be willing to take less pay to work there   View Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gibson Guitar.

Interviewed with three people who asked questions and rated my answers. All questions were pretty fair about past work experience and how it might relate to current position. No trick questions really...very laid back process. Although you are being rated on a scale to your answer to certain questions. Also had basic math and logic test on computer. If all three gave you good scores and you did well on the testing, then you get the job. However, all hiring must be approved by CEO and could take awhile to get an offer after the interview.

Interview Questions
    I could have negotiated, but did not know that at the time.

Artist Relations Interview

The interview process starts with three online questionnaires. They are personality and intelligence tests that are hundreds of questions long or timed depending on the particular test. One of the tests is the Wonderlic although its not clear if its the same Wonderlic that NFL hopefuls take. If you get through this you interview with 4 random members of the team not your hiring manager, who all have scripted questions. It is an intense process.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard per se, it just seemed like there was no good answer - An example would be something like which of three best describes you - Dishonest, Not Punctual, or Crazy. You don't want to pick any but you have to pick one.   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gibson Guitar in July 2013.

Once I applied I received a call from a recriter fairly quickly, was asked to fill out the appropriate paperwork and return it to him in 48 hours. Afterwards, had to take an online personality assessment that consisted of 3 hours of staring at a 1970s model computer program. Once all the paperwork and assessment was completed, they scheduled an interview.
    The interview itself is a panel interview of 3 salaried employees at whatever branch you are applying for. Mine was the current General Manager, the then Operations manager, and a channel manager. The GM asked most of the questions, very broad unoriginal and untailored questions. The interview was pretty laid back overall, and easy to navigate.
    After completion of the interview, it took about a month to get an offer, due to the CEO personally approving every hire within the company. The offer was far less than I expected and even less than I was told throughout the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very cut and dry and completely neutral in regards to difficultness. There was no single difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question
    There was none. Was told that since the CEO approves the hire, there is zero wiggle or negotiation ability.

Inventory Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gibson Guitar.

I applied to this position knowing it was probably too low for me. However, with significant music industry experience and really needing a job, I gave it a shot. I got a pretty fast email from a recruiter. He gave me some standard forms to complete and set a timeline of 48hours. The applictaion was pretty standard, but the addendum was unbelievable. They asked me to sign for somplete inventory responsibility and to agree that I would owe them for any deviations, even including a payment plan if needed. This was shocking to me and i dont even think it is legal. If an employee steals, they should be prosecuted by law. But to ask me to be responsible when i don't know the processes or controls and then to have no ability to contest their allegation, is absurd. It reminded me that Gibson uses litigation as a beusiness tool and is widely disrespected for this in the mjusic industry. I politely declined the position and will never apply to them again.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gibson Guitar in July 2012.

Submitted application, was called in for an interview. Met and spoke with department manager and 3 other senior employees of the department (one at a time in succession). Then I had to complete a competency test. A few months later I was offered the job. It takes a while because Henry has to approve of the hire and obviously he has a lot of things to deal with.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing is that you want to be yourself and not just say what you think they want to hear, yet at the same time, you are trying to tell them what they want you to hear so that they choose you.   View Answer

Entertainment Relations Manager NYc, NY Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Gibson Guitar in July 2010.

I received calls from 3 employees one in NY, one in SEattle and one from an executive in Nashville.

The first 2 interviews were good, theo people were honest, knew their jobs and did warn me about the exec who I'd be talking to.

This exec was extraordinary in a bad way. Cold, asked irrelevant questions and then sent me a form letter telling me they were no longer considering me. This after being chosen as 3 of 300 people who had applied for job. I thought it very rude of exec to behave in this manner, made me NOT want to work for such a clearly not nice guy.

Fast Forward 3 months, looks like several of those I spoke to have been let go. They have openings in NY and LA, wish I knew why these folks got the boot!

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gibson Guitar in May 2010.

There were four one on one interviews. Ranging from the Network Manager, Sr. Software Engineer, IT Director, and their Sr. Network/PC Tech. I hadn't even checked out the company review on this site before I came. I was asked if I was aware of the company reputation at the interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gibson Guitar in August 2009.

Met with 3 different people as is there policy; one was outgoing, I was not allowed to interview with Henry J. my boss to be. (weird)

Interview Questions
    • Have you looked at Glassdoor.com?   View Answer
    • Why would someone of your background want to work here?   View Answer
    Ask for more.