Gilead Sciences

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Administrative Coordinator
Foster City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Gilead Sciences in June 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiters are quality, personable professionals. Relevant questions filtering a win-win match. 20 plus interviewers at on-site raised concerns yet provided better sense of team and culture dynamics. Lengthy process, likely "growing pains". Solid company with focused employees whose inputs are validated to ensure continued talent engagement.

Interview Question – After a plethora of business focused question and then "out from left field", and amused by, "Who is your super hero?"   Answer Question

Senior Manager of Sourcing Interview

Senior Manager of Sourcing
Foster City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gilead Sciences in May 2014.

Interview Details – I had 4 phone interviews with the Sourcing team followed by 2 day on site interview and 1 phone interview after because she was traveling during my on site interview.

Interview Question – What is your thoughts on administrative assistance?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – After rounds of interview I was given a verbal offer on Friday by the hiring manager and was told the compensation package is under review. On Monday, HR called to tell me that the compensation package is still pending but would like to know if I am willing to accept a Manager title instead? She said after further review the team felt that my experience was light and Gilead is very conservative on titles thus they feel that I would be more successful as a Manager instead of Sr. Manager of Sourcing. I told her I respectfully decline. I am a manager now, either I have the experience or I don't. I applied to the posting for Sr. Manager , after several rounds of interviews and a verbal offer now you tell me my experience is light? Not once was my "light experience" mentioned in rounds of interview. How unprofessional, unorganized.

Bioinformatics Research Scientist I Interview

Bioinformatics Research Scientist I
Foster City, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gilead Sciences.

Interview Details – Common style interview, 8-3pm 1 on 1 interviews, asked to offer solutions to hypothetical scenarios, drilled down on my resume and technical experience. The whole hiring process was very fast, few weeks to an offer. People here seem to have the authority to make decisions. GSK and Genentech took forever (2+ months!) to move through the process.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate salary and relocation benefits

Research Scientist I Interview

Research Scientist I
Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gilead Sciences in May 2014.

Interview Details – My experience was very positive. My contacts were very clear about the time and format of the phone interview. They were very nice, informative, and helpful. It did not seem in any way that they were out to trip me up. They really want to know above all that you are serious about the position, and not just 1) using at leverage 2) using it to jump off to a different career. If you are interested, and qualified you will have a positive experience. I have an onsite interview scheduled.

Interview Question – It wasn't really a difficult question, I just misunderstood because I wasn't expecting it. They wanted to know what type of instrumentation I was familiar with.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate I Interview

Senior Research Associate I
Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Gilead Sciences.

Interview Details – The interview process was long and repetitive. Interviewed with several senior scientists, 4 or 5 directors, several department managers and the vice president. One person every 30 minutes from 8am until 4 am. It was exhausting. Be well rested and do your homework about the company and practicing interview questions if you want to do well!

Interview Question – How do you see your background and experience benefiting what we do here?   Answer Question

Packaging Engineer Intern Interview

Packaging Engineer Intern
Foster City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Gilead Sciences.

Interview Details – The initial contact was made through the university program director. I reached out to demonstrate interest in the internship and received a telephone response immediately with a request for an interview. I interviewed with every engineer in the department as well as the associate director for a half hour each.I had little exposure to the industry having just joined the program, but the interviewers were very understanding. I received word promptly within a few days that they were extending me the offer.

Interview Question – Being new to the field, many questions were challenging, but nothing stood out as especially onerous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a contract as an intern. The salary was as I expected for the position so I didn't feel a need to negotiate.

Contractor Research Associate Interview

Contractor Research Associate
Foster City, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Gilead Sciences in August 2013.

Interview Details – Fairly short and sweet. Reasonable questions. Some interviewers were difficult to understand due to thick accent.

Interview Question – How would you define GMP?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate a $2/hr increase over stated maximum

Therapeutic Specialist Interview

Therapeutic Specialist
Foster City, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Gilead Sciences.

Interview Details – A drawn out mish mash of hoop jumping and BS

Interview Question – Do you like sushi?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They lowball.

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Foster City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Gilead Sciences in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a third party recruiter and later interviewed with Gilead Hr recruiter followed by the hiring manager and later flown out to meet multiple people with different levels. Can be a very challenging interview process with so many people but they were all nice and very personable.

Interview Question – Explain step by step on how you applied a strategic recommendation to the business and outline your tactical approach?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Open just be reasonable about expectations they are a little low compared to other pharma but stock and bonus are good

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gilead Sciences in February 2014.

Interview Details – Process started with 2 phone interviews, then scheduled an on site about a week later. Long day of back to back 30 minute interviews. Fairly straightforward questions (why are you interested in changing positions?, etc). Also, interviewed for a research position, so a 1 hr seminar is required. Overall a tiring day, but a pleasant experience.

Interview Question – I was asked repeatedly about having experience with a specific area of the job requirement. I answered it probably 3 or more times to the hiring manager on the phone and in person, but they kept asking. I assume it's an important skill, so they want to be sure, but it was a bit overboard.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Found another opportunity that better met my career goals

Interviews for Top Jobs at Gilead Sciences

Worked for Gilead Sciences? Contribute to the Community!