Gilly Hicks Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2014
Updated Sep 30, 2014

2.0

Model/Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gilly Hicks.

The interview was a group interview, where they ask you questions like "what does diversity mean to you?" Overall, the interview is easy and the questions are more about your personality. They don't particularly care if you have experience, but more of if you are a "good fit" and can represent the Gilly style. Basically be happy, smily, super friendly, and cute.

Model/Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gilly Hicks.

very brief, typical questions about working in retail, had an outside interview and was contacted by phone to know if accepted or not. many girls in one group placed with you and the interview goes quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Gilly Hicks.

Sometimes you will be recruited by a manager or another sales associate within the store and will ask you to complete an online application or you can go into the store and fill out an application on a computer; it takes about 15 minutes to fill out the application but make sure you have your desired hours to work already planned out to make the process easier & faster. After that they tell you to come in on either a Tuesday or Friday for the interview.
    Interviews are in group form and they ask you to describe their store/company style, what diversity means to you, and to describe yourself; they'll also chat with you about yourself to get a better feeling of who you are as a person. It's good to dress nicely, not too casual, but you don't need to wear a suit either. Appearance-wise, make sure you show off your best physical features and try not to wear too much crazy makeup or seem to outrageous--Keep everything natural-looking basically. Women are hired as models (sales associate) or impactors but males can only work as impactors.

Model/Sales Associate Interview

group setting with common questions

MIT Gilly Hicks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hartford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gilly Hicks.

I called the store to inquire and they gave me a date to visit them and be interviewed with the Store Manager. She told me more details about the MIT Program and she asked questions about me. Afterwards, I went back for another interview, this time with the District Manager. Her interview questions ranged from career objective to situation questions.

No negotiation

Impact Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gilly Hicks in June 2013.

I walked into the store and asked how to apply, so I got the code and signed up online for Tuesday. I wore all GH stuff to my interview, so a white top and blue cardigan and flip flops, but since they only sell sweats I decided to wear Hollister jeans, cuffed. Make sure to arrive early so you make a good impression. In my interview there were 3 people including me, 2 people applying for the Model position and then me for Impact. I had worked for Hollister for a year beforehand, so I knew all of the questions for the Model position, but the Impact ones were different. Know a good time when you worked as a team with other people, and one time when you were pressed for time on a task but still had to do a good job. Then of course, know why diversity is important in the workplace. Be bubbly and smile a lot, and be confident in your answers.

At the end of my interview the manager said she'd call us in a week when we got the job. They called me that Saturday and said orientation was on Sunday at 9. It was a little stressful to wait that long, especially with prior experience, but I guess getting the job in the end was all that matters. You get one free outfit when you go to orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to work under time constraints but still do a good job.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate, it's just a small summer job.

Model Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Gilly Hicks.

The interview is easy. Whatever manager is interviewing you knows whether or not they will hire you immediately upon looking at you because all they care about are looks when hiring. It's also easy to get hired if you know someone working there already. The interview questions are very easy. Most of the managers are very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • For any Abercrombie brand, they will ask you about diversity. Make sure you know what it is and why it's important to the store!   View Answer
    None. Everyone gets minimum wage.

Model/Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gilly Hicks.

I was recruited in the store by a manager and she gave me a private interview right away even though I heard they usually hold group interviews. We went out into the mall and basically just chatted for 15 minutes. It didn't seem like an interview. She hired me on the spot and then I was given a free uniform.

Interview Questions
    • She just asked what I was good at and what I did for fun.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gilly Hicks.

Pre-req's: come to the interview wearing clothing as close to the current AAA's (employee uniforms) as possible. If you're unsure, your best bet is something similar to dark-wash jeans, a fancy white tank, and flip flops or neutral chucks. If you were recruited, you will more than likely be hired. The hiring process is heavily based on your looks, honestly.

Group interview: simple. The manager asks questions and you answer. Be FRIENDLY. SMILEY. They love them bubbly associates.

Questions asked were things like, "How would you describe yourself?" (outgoing, friendly, organized) "How would your friends describe you? (personable, agreeable)"How would you describe the company?" (comfy, classy) "What is diversity to you?" (being different) "Why is it important?" (we want to reach out to everyone!) "Tell me a time you helped an unsatisfied customer"

When they ask you if you have any questions for them at the end, it's always great to ask them what they love about working at the company.

I heard back from the manager a day after my interview, but it can take up to a month for them to contact you, I've heard.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    Discussion of availability: they'll want you most on peak days (Fri, Sat, Sun, holidays)

Impact Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gilly Hicks in December 2012.

I went into the store where I asked if they were hiring and very kindly I was directed to the cash register. When I asked the girl there, she gave me the link to the website and the password needed to enter the application. I filled out the application and chose my interview date. The day before the interview, the manager called me to confirm my interview.

The day of my interview I made sure to dress according to their style and look policy, a big part of that is having a very natural look. I went to the cash register and told them I had an interview. They directed me to the couches in the living room where I could wait. There was four of us in the living room, one guy and the rest of us girls. After about five minutes the manager came in and asked us all the positions we were applying for, everyone except for one girl was applying for the impact position. The manager led the girl applying for the model position outside where she was going to be interviewed first.

About five minutes later she came back to lead the rest of outside for our group interview. Our interview was in a corner in front of the store next to the seating they had in front of it. (We interviewed outside because inside the store they play loud music and my guess is the don't have a designated room or space for interviewing.) The manager introduced herself and explained that she would go around asking us the same three questions and that she would be writing down our responses (She was very friendly throughout the entire process). After the she was done asking each one of us the questions for our intereview, she thanked us shook our hands and told us that we would hear from them within a week if we got the job.

The next day I got a call from the manager offering me the job, which I accepted, and asked me to come in for orientation the following day.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like to do for fun?   Answer Question
    • What does diversity mean to you and why is it important in the work place?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time where you had to work in a group.   Answer Question
    • Explain about a time where you had to do something in a little amount of time, while being as accurate as possible.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation; pay is minimum wage.