Gilt Groupe Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2015
Updated Apr 2, 2015

2.5

Business Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gilt Groupe (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with 3 members of the BD Team for a half hour each. They were all very nice, and seemed bright. All 3 expressed that it's a challenging position and if you're used to selling on a daily basis this is not the role for you, as it takes several months to close deals.

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of the role? Give an example of a brand you would try to acquire, and how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Distribution Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gilt Groupe (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

This had to be the worse and confusing recruiting process I've ever dealt with. I applied to the Distribution Associate on 6/26/2013. I got an email from the recruiter about three days later, we then scheduled a phone interview and from there she said she was going to contact me in two days to schedule an in-person interview. After the two days passed I decided to follow up and she then scheduled my interview. The interview consisted of three 30 minute interviews, on the day of the interview the recruiter contacted me and said one of the interviewees will not be in. I was ecstatic since that was one less person I would have to impress. After the interview, which went very well in my oppinion I was told by the distribution manager that I would hear from them in a few days little did i know that a few days actullay meant a few months. I waited and waited to get any kind of update from someone to put me out of my misery. I checked on jobvite almost everyday hoping that something would be different. It came to a point that I wouldve been ok even if they didnt hire as long as the anticipation was gone. After 2 months I contacted the recruiter and not once did she find the time to enlighten me. Fast forward a couple days after I check my jobvite and job status changes from "In Process" to "Closed". I couldnt tell you how confused and pissed off I was from this. What the hell does closed mean? Did I not get hired? Are you not hiring for the position? etc. With my frustration I decided to contact the negligible recruiter once again and she finally decided to reply to my email and inform me that the team is no longer in need of help. I don't know if Gilt Groupe was too punk to just say you weren't hired or what but when I first applied they were looking for not just one distribution associate but two and now you're in need of none? Makes no sense to me but all in all I am relieved and happy that it is no longer hanging over my head and I can now move on from Gilt Groupe.

Withheld Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gilt Groupe (New York, NY).

Interview

Internal opportunity and received recommendation for the position from my manager. Interview process consisted of three separate days of interviewing. Met with five different people in total. Pleasant experience. Very conversational interviews. Second day of interviewing required that I meet with three different people. Interviews were approximately 30 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• Explain how your background matches the role as you understand it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated. Much lower than I wanted, but much higher than initial offer. Accepted second offer.

Gilt Groupe Anonymous Interview

Interview

4 total rounds, including phone with HR and in-person interviews with multiple teammembers for 2-3 hours at a time.

Assistant Merchandise Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gilt Groupe (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

I had been really interested in Gilt for a while and was excited to see they had planning positions open. I originally applied for a merchandise planner, but the recruiter said the team thought I didn't have quite enough experience yet, but asked me to apply for an assistant planner position. I was really excited and of course I'd do any job they wanted me to! I met with 4 different planners and had great interviews with everyone (at least I thought so...) but afterword it was radio silence. I emailed a couple of times to follow up and a month later the recruiter said they were still in the interview process but she'd definitely keep me updated. Well, I never heard back. It's been 3 months so I'm assuming I didn't get the job. I even checked Jobvite and it says my application is in process still. One of the Planning Managers mentioned during the interview that I was probably a little over qualified, so I guess that's why I didn't get it.

Anyway, I recently accepted a better position at a competitor. I would have LOVED to work here, but the whole leaving me hanging indefinitely kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully that doesn't happen to everyone!

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gilt Groupe (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Responded back to me via email about 2 weeks after I submitted my resume for a phone interview.

Customer Support Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gilt Groupe (New York, NY).

Interview

HR called me on the phone, then I had an in person interview. All the candidates interviewed on a same day. And the same day i got an offer.

Interview Questions

• If customer gets extremely agitated, how do you reassure and comfort him?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Interview

Very relaxed- phone interview then in person. mostly seeing how you fit in

Marketing Interview

Interview

I did a bit of research on the company and was expecting a conversational and creative interview process for my phone interview. What I got was the most generic Q&A I have ever participated in with absolutely no depth, which was miles away from what my research of the company had prepared me to expect. It was so hard to inject the stilted line of questions I was given with my own personality, and I hate to think what kind of people must work there for the interview to be so dry! The questions threw me off and I really didn't do my best in the end. Just as well, as it turned me off from working at the place.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience, list your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Assistant Merch Planner Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gilt Groupe (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

Gilt could not have been better. My first interview was over the phone with a recruiter. The first phone conversation asks about your current salary, which I appreciated getting out of the way. I could tell from talking to her how much she loved Gilt and how excited she was to go to work everyday, she took me from considering Gilt to ranking Gilt very high on my list. The recruiters are very honest, kind and direct, you should feel comfortbale asking them your questions.
    The second interview is in person with your potential boss and director. They ask both questions you expect and other intelligent thoughtful questions. The questons are not to trap you, but to see how you think and start an interesting conversation. Talking to the team and learning about the exciting work they are doing only makes you want to work for Gilt more.
    There is then a third final round where you meet more people from your team and also people from other teams to see if you are a good fit. The interview were all efficient and timely, and the interviewers were all friendly and happy to chat but made sure they got their questions across. There was another member on the team who clearly loved her job so much that she took Gilt from being my first choice to being absolutely determined to work with her. At the end of the interview, my potential boss checked in on me just to see how I felt and if I had any questions.
    Unfortunately I did not get the first job I interviewed for, and a couple hours before I found out I did not get the positon I wanted the recruiters had already reached out to me to interview for 3 different positions. I came back and had all my interviews in one day. The heads of the departments were all very open to chat with me about which job would be a better fit. I was blown away that management was so willing to take the time to give their advice.
    Both the recruiters and management went out of there way to help me both during the interview process and when it was time to make a decision on which job to take. Gilt clearly was a great place to grow, filled with bright, over-achieving, eager people--and best of all, you actually want to be friends with them outside of work!