Girl Scouts USA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Communication Coordinator Interview

Communication Coordinator
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got contacted through a contract agency for the position, so I didn't apply directly but after reviewing my resumé i got an interview

Interview Question – you are over qualified for the position so why did you apply for it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't need to negotiate the salary range was already define

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was through a temp agency. Interviewed by two directors and then called a few days later with the position. Salary was negotiated through the temp agency.

Interview Question – Describe a relationship you had with a difficult boss.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really one. I asked the temp agency for more money and they negotiated it.

Very Easy Interview

Membership Interview

Membership
Bedford, NH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA.

Interview Details – The hiring process was interesting. The interview was one-sided; the interviewer asked two questions and the rest of the time was spent passing along information about the organization. This should have been the first red flag!

Negotiation Details – Definitely negotiate salary.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online and was contacted via email. I was asked to review a detailed job description that included a list of minimum requirements and the salary for the position and to verify that I was still interested. At that point, I was scheduled for an interview. My one-on-one interview with the hiring manager was more casual than I had expected. I was overdressed and over qualified. (In fact, the job paid less than the unemployment checks I was receiving, but I was willing to accept that since this was a non-profit group.) I was not offered the position. The manager took the time to notify me of her decision within a week, which I really appreciated. The Girl Scouts office seems like a good place to work, and I would consider applying there again if a more suitable position became available.

Interview Question – How much accounting experience do you have?   Answer Question

Volunteer Coordinator Interview

Volunteer Coordinator
Scranton, PA

I applied online and interviewed at Girl Scouts USA.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR went well. Very friendly, was called in for an in person. Interviewed with 3 woman. Very cold, they didn't smile once! I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Database Coordinator Interview

Database Coordinator
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA in October 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a different position and was not selected; but, I was asked if I would be interested in interviewing for this position. I went in for an interview and met with HR, and 2 members of the department I would be working with. I am about 95% certain that I was not selected because my minimum salary requirement was their maximum limit. Do not expect to make more than $20-25K at GSCNC.

Interview Question – Most questions were behavioral in nature. "Tell me about a time when...."   Answer Question

Community Development Manager Interview

Community Development Manager
Marysville, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA in July 2012.

Interview Details – After responding to a Idealist.com posting for the position I was contacted by HR to complete an optional form. I was then contacted by the regional director to set-up an interview. The interview was held the next day with the Regional Director and a position peer. It was very comfortable and informative. The entire staff seemed friendly and welcoming. I was offered the position the following day.

Interview Question – Describe in detail a situation where you did not receive the results you were looking for and explain why and what you did about it.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – This was a very tough decision, however, I was on a good path with my "top pick" job that I was not prepared to abandon. This Girls Scout office and team seemed fantastic though and I hope to have an opportunity to work with them in another capacity!

Training Manager Interview

Training Manager
Redlands, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA in June 2009.

Interview Details – This is the strangest interview process I've ever participated in. With questions like, "If you could have a theme song played when you enter a room, what would it be and why?" and "If you could have lunch with one person - living or dead - who would it be and why?" The entire employment application was copied from Zappos who does have a very successful company culture.

Interview Question – What is your super power?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After 15 months in my job there was a "reorganization" which was really just a way to get rid of the people they didn't like anymore. I had to re-interview for my job and was encouraged to apply for others as well. IN the end I was made an offer to stay in my position without any salary increase while the CEO got a $30000/yr increase.

Director of Development Interview

Director of Development
Chesapeake, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of meeting with ED followed by informal panel interview of department heads.
Very positive experience. I had a history as a volunteer with the organization, so this process was fairly painless. However, being a volunteer and being a staff member are very different entities.
Upon acceptance of offer I was asked to meet informally with ED. The meeting was more of a brainstorming session discussing goals and additional philosophies regarding fundraising

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Very open to my concerns, which were met within the same day.

Communications Manager Interview

Communications Manager
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Girl Scouts USA in September 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, one with an HR rep and one with the head of the department. They then asked for a writing sample and a skills test. After jumping through all the hoops, they went with someone else.

Interview Question – Could you handle picky and difficult board members?   Answer Question