Glassdoor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.2

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online once I saw the impressive employee reviews and was contacted by a recruiter right away.

Went through two phone screens (45 minutes each) and then 3 Skype interviews (30-45 minutes) a week later.

Finally, I flew in from the east coast for in person interviews (5 interviews + lunch 10am to 3pm). The travel arrangements (air ticket, rental car) and hotel were excellent.

Towards the end of the in-person interviews I was given a tour of the office. The facilitates were really great and everyone seemed to be enjoying their job. I would have loved to work there, but unfortunately for me the compensation was not what I was getting from other companies.

Technical questions: max sub array in array, figure out duplicate number/missing number in sequential array, convert ascii to integer, etc.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Lots of questions about challenges in the past and situational questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Glassdoor (San Mateo, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Three rounds phone interview and then letter of rejection delivered by email. In the first round, I clearly stated I did not want a QA engineer position. This was not apparent in the next two rounds. At the end of the interview, I was informed the interview went poorly because of telecommunication difficulties.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between String Builder and String Buffer?   Answer Question

Director, Engagement Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in October 2014.

Interview

I had high expectations going into the interview process with the company that wants to 'disrupt a $90 billion recruiting market' and promotes employer branding to its B2B customers - was expecting an above average experience, a clearly defined role, a quick and transparent process, consistent messages and feedback.

Unfortunately they did not keep up with my expectations.

On the positive:
    - the process was really quick; got connected to the recruiter through a referral, she set-up a 30min call with her within days, spoke to her and talked to the hiring manager/CMO only few days later. The recruiter did also a nice job describing the process. Overall definitely a quick and transparent approach that I want to high-light because it is not standard.

On the 'should be better':
    - the job description seems to be a mix of a couple of different roles, e.g. lots of analytics topics in there that I did not hear from the CMO or recruiter.
    - got mixed messages from the recruiter and CMO. The recruiter emphasized it's an executive role. Heard quite the opposite from the CMO, who said that 90% are operation, only little strategy work. Think he is basically looking for a digital marketing manager with room to grow and not for a director. If I knew that earlier, would not have been interested.
    - maybe the biggest 'aha-moment' for me: the CMO did not share the greatest vision how to improve engagement significantly for glassdoor. He explained that he wanted to focus on digital/engagement campaigns. Referred to LinkedIn and said that he liked what they do with notifications and campaigns. I agree, LinkedIn is great, but the reason I go there every day is that their product is great and engaging, not their notifications. Glassdoor is not quite there today, their product is solid but not great. So long-story short, I think there is a ton of strategy, messaging and product work to do to bring back user segments more often. Ramping up tactical campaigns will add to that but not help glassdoor make big jumps. Also, sounded like the product group did not report to the CMO, which felt strange.
    - the final feedback from glassdoor was 'business as usual', a quick email saying 'thank you, but we are moving forward with other candidates'. No feedback or reasoning why. Not that I don't understand why, but again, expect from a company that wants to shake up the recruiting industry to do better. I reached out to the recruiter to hear about other jobs but did not get a response.

Summary: think the driving engagement for glassdoor is an exciting topic - realize that I did not do the best job selling myself and am not what they are looking for but also don't share their vision.

Content and Community Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Glassdoor (North Canton, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied in August 2014 and within a week received an email that they had chosen another candidate. In October I received an email stating that they had made a mistake and they wanted to conduct a phone interview. I had the first phone interview about a week later with a recruiter from California. After this 30 minute interview he gave my name to the hiring manager at the North Canton, OH location. Another week later, I spoke with the hiring manager in North Canton. This was also around 30 minutes long. I was then chosen for a face to face at the North Canton location about a week later. The meeting was with 2 managers and each asked me questions regarding my experience, my hobbies, and why I was interested in this position. This meeting lasted about 1 hour.

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR, then hiring manager. Manager sent a "homework" case study for analysis, and a couple of phone interviews with the data science team. I was flown in for a final interview, consisting of five hour-long sessions with the data science team and individuals who would work closely with the role.

The entire process lasts around two or three weeks. Glassdoor communicates well throughout the process, but in my experience, you don't get any feedback on why you were not selected. I felt I had a great interview process, received good marks on the case study, and quickly grasped the domain knowledge (which I didn't have a previous background in). However, I didn't get an offer or feedback on why I wasn't selected.

Companies aren't required to do so, but my interviewing experience has been that valuable feedback is generally given, and allows a candidate to focus on specific areas if they want to interview down the road or enter the market. The employees are very friendly, and it was overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you test if survey responses were filled at random by certain individuals, as opposed to truthful selections?   1 Answer

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The hiring process at Glassdoor was very straight forward and moved quickly. My resume was sent to their recruiter by a current employee and after the initial 45 min phone screen I had a three person interview the next week. Before the in person interviews though I was asked to take a personality test online.

The in person interview was three 30 minute one on one interviews. Following the in person interviews was a 30 minute web demo of any product (including glassdoor.com if you wanted) to the same three people. We did not break character during the 30 minute web demo.

Finally, I had a 30 minute call with the VP of sales to discuss what motivated me etc. All in all I was very impressed by the speed and efficiency of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• I was very surprised at the interviewers ability to ask detailed questions during the web demo. The realism of the demo made it feel like you were in an actual sales pitch, and not simply an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. The salary, OTE, and additional compensation was conveyed to me from the beginning.

Director, Customer Engagement Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

First interview was with HR. This was a screener to make sure I had all the skill necessary for the role. This interview lasted about an hour and went well. A day later I was informed that I was moving to a phone interview with the hiring manager. I have been working in customer experience for three years prior to working in Social engagement for the last 5 years. I have been doing GTM and CLP strategies for over 10 years and have extensive analytical, technical, and gamification experience. Basically, I had every skill they listed, including the roll-up your sleeves and get it done experience--at award winning level. I did all my pre-interview research.
    I knew I fit the culture…on multiple levels. I was ready for the interview. The interview with the hiring manager was scheduled for 30 minutes. He was a few minutes late. I thought--perhaps it will be a quick Q&A to determine who comes in for the face-to-face. To my surprise the hiring manager spoke the entire 28 minutes. I attempted to ask a question and was asked to hold off till later (which I did). He then asked me how I would gamily GD. I had a few questions I wanted to ask before answering that question. He then told me that he had a meeting at 11:00 so he had 1 minute to answer any questions. Did I have any? Yes. I explained that I had several. He said, he was speaking with HR later that week and would see about setting another 30 minutes for us to talk. I asked for his email--to send a thank you note etc. He gave that to me.
    I spent that evening designing a gamified mock up of how GD could engage with the entire customer lifecycle and did a visual mock up of one example. I also sent one jpeg of a --more virtual world mock up--just to show elaborate option. I also sent a supporting excel spreadsheet that outlined at a high-level at stab at customer roles and life stage goals and needs. (A staple for the CLP) The final piece I sent was a 30-6-90 of how I would propose ramping up --if hired in the role. To my dismay all I got from GD was a generic jobvite response that let me know they were moving forward with other candidates and thanks for applying.

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Glassdoor in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter and set-up for phone screen, which lead to an in office meeting. I met at Glassdoor offices with my would be manager, director and another enterprise sales rep. After signing in I was greeted by the friendly recruiting coordinator.After a quick chat with her my first interviewer took me to a small conference room where all three interviews were conducted. I was asked fair questions by each interviewer and nothing off the wall. Some of the interviewers were tough to read, so i was unsure of how well I did.

Interview Questions

• In the sales process, which step do you think is most important.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, because Glassdoor is about transparency.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call from an engaging and informative HR representative, then proceeded to come into the Glassdoor headquarters to meet with two managers and another Account Executive in person. It ended with a 30 minute phone call with the VP of Sales.

Interview Questions

• It was a discussion about the job and my background! Be able to connect with those you are speaking with... nothing too complicated.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Enterprise Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in September 2014.

Interview

I was extremely impressed by everyone I met at Glassdoor, from initial phone screen to final interview. The enthusiasm for the company and job satisfaction was evident in every person I spoke with, which made me even more excited about the opportunity. I felt I knew where I stood every step of the way, and I had open communication with both the hiring manager and recruiting team throughout. I was asked insightful questions that allowed me to tie my previous experience into how it would apply at this job. Overall, 5 stars!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as the salary was exactly what was listed here and the commission was identical to what another Ent AM explained in the interview.