Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.3

User Experience Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in August 2014.

I applied online and heard back from a recruiter the next business day.
    I had a phone screener with the recruiter the next day and a phone interview with the hiring manager 2 days after that. Both phone interviews seemed aimed at just verifying the info in my resume and getting a feel for my personality - nothing too hard. They also spent a good amount of time telling me about the company and the position which I appreciated.
    The in person interview was scheduled for the following week - for 5 hours!! Seriously. 9am to 2pm on Wednesday - working that in to my schedule was the hardest part. The interview consistent of 5 one hour interviews with the team that would be working with the position, some UX, some business, some technical. Lots of questions about how I would work with the various roles, and what I expected to contribute.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple of harder questions about how I might design for a particular challenge they were currently facing, but those were hard only because at this point you have none of the data a UX professional would normally use to base decisions on at that point.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. Maybe I should have?

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in August 2014.

The process couldn't have been better. I was reached out to by Glassdoor to briefly speak about the role and my background over the phone. After that conversation, I was asked to come onsite for four, half-hour interviews and a group presentation. My interviews were all very casual with questions mainly focused on my background and why I was interested in this opportunity. My presentation outlined my background and what I believed I could bring to the company. After my presentation, I was asked to step out of the room for about 20 minutes. The team met to discuss my presentation and my manager made me an offer onsite!

Interview Questions
    • If a client tells you they don't see any value in paying for Glassdoor, what do you say?   View Answer
    Minimal. The salary was lower then what I was making at the time. I asked to be matched, which they did and they even sweetened the deal by adding more stock options.

Enterprise Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in August 2014.

Very thorough process including conversations with GM, VP of Sales, and Director. Very straight forward with their thoughts on my pros and cons, then allowed me the opportunity to address their concerns in an open forum. Also got to speak with several team members to get their perspective and allow them the opportunity to get to know me.

Interview Questions
    • How I would handle unexpected changes in the organization and balance towing the company line with being an advocate for my reps?   Answer Question
    Negotiation was very simple and easy. Fair compensation and commission structure, so not much that needed tweaking.

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I loved how quickly they moved along in this process. First call with recruiter occurred on a Friday. Following monday there was a follow up call with Manager, followed by an inperson a few days later. I had to do a web demo to 3 of the hiring managers and then had final call with head of sales. Altogether, a seamless process. Though not easy!

Interview Questions
    • I would say that preparing and conducting the demo was the most challenging...   View Answer
    no negotiation

Director IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in August 2014.

Interview span was about 30 days. First one was with the hiring manager which was quite detailed and extensive (about an hour). After that one more phone interview. I was then called for an on-site for 4 hours which on my request was split into two days. It was good that they were flexible. I interviewed with about 6 people from different departments.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the difficulty level was not an issue for me. However, I felt the questions were very detailed. Maybe its because I have been doing this type of work for a long time so it was obvious to me but I can understand why they were vetting me so hard.   Answer Question
    It was as I expected. I got the offer, and told the hiring manager I would think about it. Went back after the weekend and asked for two changes in the offer. One of them was accepted. What was unique was that the CEO called and chatted with me on why the other aspect of my request was not possible. It really made a difference in my decision making.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Glassdoor.

After applying online, I was contacted by an internal recruiter for a very basic 30 minute phone interview/ run down of my resume. She scheduled a second interview with one of the hiring managers immediately; another 30 minute phone interview the following week. After that, I sent a follow up email thanking the interviewer and went about a week and a half before I heard back (because I had heard immediately after the first, I started to lose hope). Shortly there after, the initial point of contact recruiter emailed me apologizing for the delay, thanking me for my follow up and sent an online personality/IQ test. I was a remote candidate, so she expressed interest in having me onsite for an in-person interview and requested if I had any trips planned to the Bay Area coming up (they do not pay for interview travel, but at the same time, it makes sense seeing that they have the cream of the crop candidates right in their backyard). Luckily, I did have a trip planned- however it was still 2-3 weeks away. I let her know this and stated that I could try to come out earlier; she was extremely understanding, flexible and even reassured me by saying in her email "No, those days work perfectly!" Finally on-site, I was scheduled to meet with 3 team members and it was one of the best, most real and relaxing interviews I've ever had. All three made it extremely conversational and less "stiff" than most interview processes I've experienced. Sure, they still asked me a few of the expected, "Give me an example of a time you failed" situational questions, but it was done in such a low pressure manner that I really appreciated. They really, really want to make sure that not only are you a right fit for Glassdoor and their team, but also that the position is a right fit for you. All interviewees challenged me on that as I'd be coming from outside sales and how I'd adjust and my experience aligned. While that seemed to be their main point of concern, I really did appreciate the fact that they wanted to make sure I'd land somewhere I'd equally succeed. They ended up bringing in a 4th team member (who I later learned would be my supervisor); again, very enjoyable discussion. I was emailed the following day to set up a remote GoToMeeting sales pitch on Glassdoor. The recruiter sent me a couple of tips that helped me plan for this-including creating a powerpoint prior to the webinar. This was definitely the most nerve-racking (but realistic) portion of the interview process. On the other end of the presentation was three team members (two I had met). At the end of the presentation/sales pitch, I was given positive and constructive feedback and I left that pitch feeling really good as I thought I did a solid job. They had even told me they were very impressed with how much I had researched their company and had an answer for everything, especially since I had no referral/current employee to guide me to what to really expect. At this point, I thought for sure I would hear a decision (and was really hoping for an offer as I felt that this company was such a great fit and amazing culture to be a part of). Later that afternoon of my sales pitch, they wanted to schedule ANOTHER phone interview with the VP of Sales. (At this point I was thinking, okay maybe this is the lengthy process or maybe they just aren't totally sold on me and they need a deciding factor). My phone interview was scheduled a few days later, but prior to that, the recruiter called me to give me some of the team's feedback and what my next interviewer would be looking for. That was extremely helpful(and also reassuring, as the majority of the feedback was great). My final phone interview was more of a "rapid fire" conversation. I really, really liked her passion for Glassdoor, her transparency and how she addressed my questions. I could tell one of her big concerns was the fact that I didn't live in the Bay Area yet (and that's a big risk for a company, especially with how competitive housing is here), but I definitely made sure to reassure her that I had a signed lease and all of my stuff was already gone from my apartment! She told me I'd be hearing from them shortly after I "closed" her for the position. Low and behold, I got my offer call that afternoon! I was so, so excited. And while the process once I met on-site seemed lengthy, I was so happy and appreciative that they really took their time to select candidates that would be a great fit. Overall, everyone I met with was extremely friendly, but more importantly, just very candid and honest which was refreshing.

Interview Questions
    • "You're coming from an outside sales role to an inside role and you don't have any experience working with HR managers/recruiters. I can find plenty of people with at least one of those experiences; why should I hire you?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Glassdoor.

Had two phone interview rounds followed by an onsite.

The first phone interview was with the director of engineering. She was incredibly friendly and asked me some basic questions and one algorithm question.

Second phone interview was with a lead engineer. It was much like the first interview except his questions had a lot more to do with multithreading and the sort. I didn't know much about it, but I was able to reason through the correct answers.

My onsite was with 5 different interviewers. All the interviewers were very friendly and gave me a good idea about the personalities and the work culture at Glassdoor.

Onsite interview questions were all varied, only one of them was something you could know from reading books like Cracking the Coding Interview, the rest were about my personality/drive to be in CS and problems where I had to design a solution.

The interview was incredibly enjoyable for me not only because of the people, but because of the questions. For each stage, I felt like I was having a conversation and not being quizzed.

Interview Questions
    • I am unable to disclose the actual question, but it was the last question during my interview and it was simply a problem statement that had a lot of different components to it. In order to successfully solve it, it was necessary to pull from a lot of different areas of CS.   Answer Question
    Negotiations were very honest and upfront. The offer was incredibly reasonable and I was able to negotiate it a little bit.

Senior Web Developer Interview

Any time that you have a five hour interview with no break, and an interviewer drops an f-bomb in an interview, it's bad times. Some of the questions weren't on-target, either, but rather asked me to code something that I wouldn't ever do in real life. Didn't feel like working there would do anything for me personally or my career.

I declined before I got an offer. I couldn't see myself working there.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor.

Received an invite for a phone interview 1-2 days after applying online. Phone interview was scheduled for a few days later. Phone interview lasted about thirty minutes, and was very pleasant. Was conversational rather than a rapid fire question and answer session. The interviewer let me know what the next steps in the process would be as we wrapped up the call. After about a week I received an update that they were moving forward with another candidate. I truly appreciated that they took the time to let me know.

Interview Questions
    • The usual expected questions such as, "What do you like best and least about HR?"   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Glassdoor in July 2014.

Glassdoor initially reached out to me for a quick conversation letting me know about the position and more about Glassdoor. After that conversation they wanted to fly me in for an in person interview. They provided airfare and a rental car. Their interview structure seemed to be phone interview, in person interview with team, second round of in person, and a final presentation. The presentation was something I had never done before, but they provided and example and some guidance.

Since I was flown in, I covered all three interviews in one day. Their HR team was great a coordinating the visit and made sure I had everything I needed. The interview process was casual where I met with a good number of people from the team (about 5) and heard what they were looking for with someone in this role. They went through a quick Q&A. All the interviews were conversational and not too intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • What's the number one things I should remember about you?   Answer Question
    I did negotiate the salary and the stock options. My advice to everyone, regardless of how great the offer looks, negotiate. It's another avenue to show your skills. Negotiating is an important one!