Glassdoor

Updated Feb 17, 2015

3.2

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Glassdoor in February 2015.

Straightforward. I was asked a lot of the same questions from different people interviewing me in the sales dept. After initial phone screening and interview, the final step is a presentation on yourself and your education, work experience, and desire to work at Glassdoor. Repetitive interview process as you tell your story 3 people on the team, plus the SDR manager.

During the interview and presentations, talk about your failures, overcoming hard times, and seem REALLY excited about phone sales. They don't care a lot about who you are, but they do want to hear about your sales successes--make sure you really want to be calling companies all day, merely setting appointments for the execs. This is the entire role of an SDR and if this thrills you, you will fit in just fine.

I was not as excited for the particular role of calling companies all day than I was about working for the company, which seemed to be the main hesitation to bring me on to the "team." The job itself seems mindless and repetitive but the company has a smaller SDR team than Trulia, Salesforce, etc. so could be good for those coming from those kinds of companies.

A red flag brought up multiple times to me by several on the team, was how many companies call angrily about negative reviews left by disgruntled employees. How would I handle such angry clients? This question was posed by different people throughout the interview process so it must be a common issue they deal with on the sales team.

Ultimately, the sales team seems to be a mold you either fit--or you don't and they will vote "yes" or "no" on you, just like a reality TV show once you step out of the room after your presentation.

Very informal and the whole team is under 30. I felt like I was back in high school in some ways. Still, there seem to be a lot of happy people there and if you fit the mold or want some practice interviewing around, it's worth the trip out there.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you failed? What did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in January 2015.

Had a fantastic experience interviewing with Glassdoor. Almost a month had passed after sending my resume, and I finally got an email from the recruiting team. They were extremely pleasant and polite to communicate with.
    I first had a screener call with the Recruiter, two days after receiving her original email. This was a very nice conversation. Reviewed my background and relevant experience. At the end of the call, she said she was going to recommend to the hiring manager that they have the next phone interview with me.
    That same day, I received an email saying the hiring manager would like to schedule a call. That was scheduled for 2 days later. I had an hour and a half long call with the hiring manager. Everything that was discussed was presently relevant to the company - all in regards to challenges the company is currently facing, and use cases that they are currently making decisions on. He also ran through some of my basic SEO knowledge since that was related to the position. At the end of the call, he also mentioned that he'd like me to come in for a face-to-face round.
    The next day, the interview coordinator reached out to me to get dates of availability. I am based in Los Angeles, so Glassdoor flew me out, rented a car, and a hotel room nearby for me to come up for in person interviews. I had a full line-up of 5 interviews one after the other, and a team lunch in between.
    Every person I spoke to seemed genuine, and very happy to be working where they are. It looked like an amazing place and team to be a part of.
    The one person that was pretty intimidating in the interviews was the CXO (and co-founder). He had a list of random questions intended to gauge level of knowledge and experience on various topics. Questions were unrelated to one another, and were tough to respond to quickly without context, but other than that, overall a very very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is penguin? What is panda? What is VLookup? What are pivot tables? What are 4 of the fundamental ways to gain positioning in search?   View Answer

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in November 2014.

Initial phone interview went well. Asked basic questions and asked to do a run through of my resume. A week later I was scheduled for an onsite interview. The Sales Manager was to be my first interviewer at 1pm. He strolled down to get me around 1:15pm and then proceeded to wander around for another 5 minutes (with myself following), while he sluggishly dragged his feet around the building half-heartedly looking for an open room. After multiple trips back and forth around the office, he finally was able to pick a room, fabulous, good job Sales Manager. We sit down, he looks at me with this slimy smirk and tells me he doesn't have my resume. Great, I'll hand him a nice new shiny one I brought along as extra. He blankly stares at my resume, appearing to care less, so he just throws out the question: why do I want to work in sales? I answer with a story/example/and personal traits that have made me decide to pursue sales. He then asks why I find sales rewarding. I tell him I like helping a customer achieve their goals and that it gives me satisfaction. He then asks WHY I like helping people. I tell him it makes me happy. He then asks WHY it makes me happy. I give him another example of my passion for working with people. He continues to beat this subject to death by AGAIN asking me WHY what makes me happy makes me happy. At that moment I knew this "Sales Manager" was completely unprepared and arrogant beyond belief. No thanks Glassdoor. I do not want to work for a company that has this unprepared, rude employee as your first face for new and excited interviewers.

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in November 2014.

I applied online once I saw the impressive employee reviews and was contacted by a recruiter right away.

Went through two phone screens (45 minutes each) and then 3 Skype interviews (30-45 minutes) a week later.

Finally, I flew in from the east coast for in person interviews (5 interviews + lunch 10am to 3pm). The travel arrangements (air ticket, rental car) and hotel were excellent.

Towards the end of the in-person interviews I was given a tour of the office. The facilitates were really great and everyone seemed to be enjoying their job. I would have loved to work there, but unfortunately for me the compensation was not what I was getting from other companies.

Technical questions: max sub array in array, figure out duplicate number/missing number in sequential array, convert ascii to integer, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Lots of questions about challenges in the past and situational questions.   Answer Question

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in October 2014.

Initial phone interview with HR, then hiring manager. Manager sent a "homework" case study for analysis, and a couple of phone interviews with the data science team. I was flown in for a final interview, consisting of five hour-long sessions with the data science team and individuals who would work closely with the role.

The entire process lasts around two or three weeks. Glassdoor communicates well throughout the process, but in my experience, you don't get any feedback on why you were not selected. I felt I had a great interview process, received good marks on the case study, and quickly grasped the domain knowledge (which I didn't have a previous background in). However, I didn't get an offer or feedback on why I wasn't selected.

Companies aren't required to do so, but my interviewing experience has been that valuable feedback is generally given, and allows a candidate to focus on specific areas if they want to interview down the road or enter the market. The employees are very friendly, and it was overall a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you test if survey responses were filled at random by certain individuals, as opposed to truthful selections?   View Answer

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in September 2014.

The hiring process at Glassdoor was very straight forward and moved quickly. My resume was sent to their recruiter by a current employee and after the initial 45 min phone screen I had a three person interview the next week. Before the in person interviews though I was asked to take a personality test online.

The in person interview was three 30 minute one on one interviews. Following the in person interviews was a 30 minute web demo of any product (including glassdoor.com if you wanted) to the same three people. We did not break character during the 30 minute web demo.

Finally, I had a 30 minute call with the VP of sales to discuss what motivated me etc. All in all I was very impressed by the speed and efficiency of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I was very surprised at the interviewers ability to ask detailed questions during the web demo. The realism of the demo made it feel like you were in an actual sales pitch, and not simply an interview.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The salary, OTE, and additional compensation was conveyed to me from the beginning.

Director, Customer Engagement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Glassdoor in September 2014.

First interview was with HR. This was a screener to make sure I had all the skill necessary for the role. This interview lasted about an hour and went well. A day later I was informed that I was moving to a phone interview with the hiring manager. I have been working in customer experience for three years prior to working in Social engagement for the last 5 years. I have been doing GTM and CLP strategies for over 10 years and have extensive analytical, technical, and gamification experience. Basically, I had every skill they listed, including the roll-up your sleeves and get it done experience--at award winning level. I did all my pre-interview research.
    I knew I fit the culture…on multiple levels. I was ready for the interview. The interview with the hiring manager was scheduled for 30 minutes. He was a few minutes late. I thought--perhaps it will be a quick Q&A to determine who comes in for the face-to-face. To my surprise the hiring manager spoke the entire 28 minutes. I attempted to ask a question and was asked to hold off till later (which I did). He then asked me how I would gamily GD. I had a few questions I wanted to ask before answering that question. He then told me that he had a meeting at 11:00 so he had 1 minute to answer any questions. Did I have any? Yes. I explained that I had several. He said, he was speaking with HR later that week and would see about setting another 30 minutes for us to talk. I asked for his email--to send a thank you note etc. He gave that to me.
    I spent that evening designing a gamified mock up of how GD could engage with the entire customer lifecycle and did a visual mock up of one example. I also sent one jpeg of a --more virtual world mock up--just to show elaborate option. I also sent a supporting excel spreadsheet that outlined at a high-level at stab at customer roles and life stage goals and needs. (A staple for the CLP) The final piece I sent was a 30-6-90 of how I would propose ramping up --if hired in the role. To my dismay all I got from GD was a generic jobvite response that let me know they were moving forward with other candidates and thanks for applying.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Glassdoor in September 2014.

I got a phone call from an engaging and informative HR representative, then proceeded to come into the Glassdoor headquarters to meet with two managers and another Account Executive in person. It ended with a 30 minute phone call with the VP of Sales.

Interview Questions
    • It was a discussion about the job and my background! Be able to connect with those you are speaking with... nothing too complicated.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in September 2014.

I applied online through the careers page and was connected with a recruiter after about two weeks. My phone screen was very educational about the position and the recruiter was genuine yet thorough with my experience. Shortly after (the following week) I was scheduled an onsite interview where I met with two sales managers and another account manager (future peer). We discussed my experience and how it could potentially relate and transfer to the needs of the team. I was asked questions about specific clients, expectations I had set and failures I had experienced.

At the time I had a competing offer from another company, so when I let the team and the recruiter know, I scheduled a final stage remote meeting that was in the form of a presentation 'pitch' that was of my own design. The pitch was with all the people I had previously met to gage my delivery style over the phone and comfortability with selling and objection handling.

The final stage in the interview was to speak with the VP of Sales but was bypassed due to time restrictions and scheduling. I accepted the offer and started working about a week and a half later.

All in all the process took about 2 1/2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were related to my experience and how they could relate to the current and future needs of the team.   View Answer
    The package I received was a standard package and was non negotiable, despite my efforts to further increase my pay rate and equity.

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor.

The interview and hiring process was fairly lightweight, which I appreciate. I went through a phone screen with the hiring manager followed by in person interview with the hiring manager. I came in for a second round with a product manager and another designer. Getting a job while having a job and not tipping off your employer can be difficult. Glassdoor was flexible with time and interviews were the appropriate duration.

Again, it was lightweight and relatively short. They met my requests and that was it.