Glassdoor

43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Executive Interview

Sausalito, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Glassdoor.

Interview Details – The overall process was SO long - about 6-8 weeks, from the time of "we want to bring you in" to the final interview. I wasn't in a hurry (I had a job) but still, a little excessive. It started with a phone interview for chemistry check with the hiring manager, then went to in-person meetings with the entire team. This was for a senior level position so all was expected -- except, I found some of the questions and the tone of the interviewers to be patronizing (as in, "that's right, that IS what you'd do!") ... I'd say that "patronizing" was the tone of the overall process.

After the initial in-person, I was asked to come back to give a 15-min presentation about myself. Ok, I can go with that, but had my suspicions about it. I'm interviewing for a senior level position... don't you want to know more about how I'd handle difficult situations applicable to the job description, or how I'd approach things from a strategic perspective? Sure, I'll tell you what I like to do in my spare time (a cultural fit is as important to me as it should be to the company), but to answer the question "Why should Glassdoor be excited about me?" in PowerPoint form? I was already feeling this wasn't a cultural fit. After I presented to a larger group of folks, they asked me to wait in an empty room for 20 minutes. Nothing to read, no water offered. Just... wait here, we won't be long. Thankfully I had my phone on me for something to do.

After all this, I received an email with one sentence, "Sorry, we decided you're not a fit." No explanation beyond that. After this whole process, I'm of the impression that the more professional thing to do would be to provide a more polite and friendly email (something to the tune of "while we liked your skillset, we're looking for someone more xyz."). As excited as I was about the prospect of working for Glassdoor, the interview process left a bad taste in my mouth - and it truly isn't because I didn't get hired. Meh.

Interview Question – 1. Personal background/interests
6. Why Glassdoor should be excited about me

Flag Interview

Glassdoor Corporate Communications Manager responded to this review

Apr 22, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Here at Glassdoor, we're always looking for ways to improve. We’re taking your comments into consideration and will be sure to provide more clarity in the future when we ... More

Very Difficult Interview

Public Relations Associate Interview

Sausalito, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor in April 2014.

Interview Details – I found out about the open position through a friend/former colleague that works at Glassdoor. Once I sent her my resume, the process was very quick (around two weeks). I had two hour-long phone interviews with two members of the PR team, and then was brought in for four more in-person interviews with the PR team and a co-founder. Before the in-person interviews, I was also asked to write a press release based on data points from the site, and fill out an "ideas" document.

If you're going to interview at Glassdoor, think like a Boy Scout: Be Prepared. You will be asked to explain your press release and why you picked that angle. You will also be asked to pitch your press release to your interviewer (he stepped out of the room and had me pitch him on his cell phone). You will also be asked about your media contacts, your recent PR wins, and some of your favorite ideas from the document you filled out. Also be prepared to answer a few more "out of the box" questions like... explain Glassdoor in three words, pitch me the Glassdoor app but pretend we're in a noisy bar, pitch me Glassdoor to the least tech-savvy person you know. Like I said - Be Prepared!

From what I can tell, everyone at Glassdoor is hardworking and loves working hard at Glassdoor. They want to make sure that anyone they hire would fit into this culture. If you're not willing to really do your research and think about what you could bring to your team, then it's likely not a right fit for you.

This was the hardest interview I've ever had, but the most rewarding interview I've ever had. I learned just as much about Glassdoor and my future team members as much as they learned from me. I walked away from the interview knowing that accepting their offer was 100% the right decision for me.

Interview Question – Explain Glassdoor in three words   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Sausalito, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor.

Interview Details – Request a 15 minute powerpoint presentation about yourself. Following the presentation and Q&A, they ask you to wait in an empty room following it, while the group in the room discusses what they think of you.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Account Executive Interview

Sausalito, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was very impressed with the process. I had an initial phone interview with a sales manager. He was very engaging and was my point of contact through the process. He was also very transparent through the process and I very much appreciated that. After the initial phone interview I was sent a personality test that I was to complete. Once that was completed, I was brought in for in person interviews. I met with 3 different managers, all spent ample time with me and allowed me plenty of time to ask questions. The next step was to do a mock sales call over the phone so they could get a sense of my selling style. It was a great exercise and they gave great feedback after the call. The final step was a interview with the Director of Sales. The offer came in shortly after.

Interview Question – How would I handle a prospect that was upset/dissatisfied with Glassdoor?
If I were stranded on a desert island, what 3 things would I bring?

Senior Account Executive Interview

Sausalito, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process took about 2-3 weeks. First contact is a brief phone screen, and then you are invited in to meet with 4 individuals. Before you do so, you are tasked with completing a 1 hour online assessment. Multiple questions about background, how it fits with the role, and what your sales process is.

Note to Glassdoor: don't invite people to interview if you don't think their backgrounds are a fit for the role.

Interview Question – "How would you help us make more money?"   Answer Question

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Sausalito, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Glassdoor in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was already using Glassdoor in my job search, thought it was pretty cool, then when I saw a PR job open at Glassdoor on Twitter, I applied immediately. Needless to say, I heard back from the Corp Comm Director within 20 minutes. That's how fast these people are, at least in PR, when they're interested in you. I replied back immediately - wanted to show my interest - and a phone interview was set up for the next morning. I did my research and prepared for an initial phone screen and it went well. PR director had a lot of energy over the phone, asked a lot of questions about my PR/media experience, and the conversation flowed naturally. At the end, she asked when they could fly me out for an in-person interview. Well, I was on a plane the next week, on site for a 4 hour interview, and then flew back home. Two days later, I had a Skype interview with the CEO, and later that afternoon received an offer that was more than what I had asked for. It was pretty awesome and I went out to a fancy dinner that night.

How can this help you? if you're interviewing in the PR department, be quick, responsive, fast, accurate, inquisitive and do your research. Come on, people, it's PR - anything and everything they are doing is already 'out there,' so there's no excuse not to find it and show that off. They really liked that. Also, it was easy to see all the great things in PR they are doing, but I knew I had to go further to show my value to them by identifying the things they were NOT doing in PR and how I could plug those holes and contribute by doing something new. That's the name of the game, especially at small companies growing quickly. I had to do a writing test, pitch the director over the phone as if she was a reporter, and explain what I would do for Glassdoor's PR program. I wanted to cut them off at the pass, so I came prepared with a 2-page document on new ideas and suggestions on what they could do to improve their program. Needless to say, I really really wanted this job, so I did all I could to show them that I was awesome. It worked and like I said, if you go above and beyond what their expectations might be, you might even surprise yourself in what they offer you. Did I mention to do your research and go beyond what the normal person does? Now working here at Glassdoor, it's clear that most people are overachievers and set high expectations, so it's kinda the status quo at Glassdoor. BTW, that's a good thing.

PS - In addition to applying online via the standard process, I really wanted to get noticed, so found some in-house PR contacts, got their names and found an email address and emailed them directly to get their attention. That worked. I recommend anyone doing this who is serious.

Interview Question – What would you do for our program?
What PR successes have you had?
What would you do for us that we aren't doing?
What contacts do you have in the media and how did you foster those relationships?
Why Glassdoor?
What else can you do for us besides media relations?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I presented an offer to them and they exceeded what I asked for. (Sidenote, based on research and fair market value, what I asked for was definitely fair and I was ready to negotiate if they didn't meet it - I did not have to in this case, so that was a pleasant surprise).

IT Analyst Interview

Sausalito, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Glassdoor in February 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring Manager actually processed my resume and contacted me directly. We spoke on the phone for an initial brief interview and I was fortunate to get a chance to visit the office. I met the Team and was given a hands-on competency test - talk about pressure.

Long story short, I walked away not ever thinking I would get the call. (I have a minor in HR and we're well aware that it's extremely difficult to assess a candidate's potential with such limited time.)

A week later, the hiring Manager made a personal call to make the formal offer. I gladly accepted because the offer is fair and up front - no nickel and diming.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't need to negotiate.

Very Difficult Interview

Senior PR Manager Interview

Sausalito, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews - each an hour long - and then flew to California from the UK for my final stage. This included six interviews/ meetings plus a presentation over a day and half. The whole process was very, very quick - something like three or four weeks from start to finish.

Interview Question – I was asked lots of challenging questions but probably the most challenging was a role play situation whereby I had to pretend to explain Glassdoor to my Mum.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had everything prepared and was offered the job straight after my final stage. There was little negotiation as terms on both sides were very reasonable.

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Enterprise Account Executive
Sausalito, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor in January 2014.

Interview Details – They have a very detailed process that involves an initial phone call with a manager. Then that is followed up by an in person meeting where you will spend time talking about your abilities and business acumen. My manager had some interesting questions that they asked me to really see how your analytically thinking works and how you address issues and pressure. After that, they will have you come in and talk to 3 other managers in the same department. Very thorough, but it made me feel like they were extremely interested in me and I felt validated after the whole process.

Interview Question – If you were stranded alone on an island, what 3 things would you bring with you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The negotiating phase was pretty straight forward. Not very long or drawn out.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Technical Account Manager
Sausalito, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Glassdoor in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through the Glassdoor careers page and was contacted by the head of department a short while later to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was about 40-45 mins with the head of department who was very informative of the position. At the end of the call he mentioned that he would like to schedule an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was about 4 hours long with 5 different people including the HOD, a current TAM, and product manager and a VP of the company. The whole experience was very professional, welcoming and efficient.

Interview Question – How would a website identify the location of a user?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Glassdoor

Worked for Glassdoor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor Videos

Glassdoor – Why Work for Us?

Do you believe that work matters? We do. In fact, we obsess over helping people find jobs that are the right fit for them. BECAUSE WHERE YOU WORK MATTERS! Our mission is to become the world’s largest and most trusted… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Glassdoor interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 43 interview reviews posted anonymously by Glassdoor employees and interview candidates.