Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Glassdoor in December 2014.

I had two rounds of phone interviews. The first round, the interviewer was well-prepared, although the screening questions she asked were a bit odd.

The second round, the interviewer seemed rushed and was ill-prepared. There was no introduction (I didn't even know what he did at the company until I asked him at the end of the interview; yes, I had to ask him) and he didn't seem interested at all in my background. He asked a few SQL questions and a multithreaded question. The problem was he didn't understand much about multithreading. I gave a simple answer using synchronization and a counter, but he was surprisingly confused. Digging deeper it became clear that he had some canned question/answer and was looking for a solution that used wait() and notify() instead of sleep(), even though his solution wouldn't work.

One of the really strange issues was describing coding questions over the phone rather than using something like collabedit. I finished the interviews quickly and did very well, but they got back to me saying that while they were impressed, they were "moving forward with a select few candidates whose backgrounds are more closely aligned with our current needs". Overall, I can't help but wonder if I was simply used as interview training for their employees. The entire process took 3 days though, so I have to at least commend them for being so quick about it.

Interview Questions
  • The interview questions themselves were rather odd. One was "what are the different scopes in Spring". Testing my ability to spout little-known facts isn't helpful to the process. A much better question would have been "what is Spring and why is it useful?" A solid engineer would be able to answer the second question, while anyone that can answer the first is simply good at memorizing things.

There were more unhelpful questions like:

"is Java pass-by-reference or pass-by-value"?
    "what's the difference between String and StringBuilder"?

These are easy, but give very little insight into whether I'm a good engineer, which *should* be the goal of the interview.

View Answer
  • The SQL questions were a fairly standard "design a table, give me the SQL queries to do X, Y, and Z". I made sure the table design was 3NF (although I'm not sure he caught that). Then he asked me to do a simple SELECT/JOIN query, and then another that was more complicated.

The multithreading question was detailing a solution for "put" and "fetch" methods for a BlockingQueue. The methods had to maintain the order of the threads attempting the operations.

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Glassdoor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in January 2014.

The interview process was a great experience. It instantly shows the company culture and energy level of everyone you're going to be working with. After two initial technical phone screens I was invited on-site. It was a 4 hour interview with multiple technical interviewers and managers. Every interviewer I talked to was respectful and positive.

Interview Questions
    • It was a technical question that required advanced knowledge of algorithms and data structures. I figured it out and was very proud of myself.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor.

Two rounds of phone interviews then on site.
    One site questions include: implement hash table, how to implement load balancer, how to design features using existing data and how to implement a Resource pool. Unable to write good code for the Resource pool on site.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Glassdoor.

There was a 30 minute phone interview and at the end of the 30 minute conversation, the interview said he approved me for the next round and since I was living out of state, he said he wanted to arrange a second phone interview before they could fly me in.

He promised to set up the second interview in the following day or two. But to my surprise, the interviewer sent me an email the next day saying, "they are moving forward to other candidates that matches their hiring needs".

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Glassdoor in February 2013.

I had one phone interview for about 45 mins. The interviewer asked various questions ondata structures.
    Then they invited me for a face to face interview. The interview lasted for 5 hours with 5 different interviewers. Each of them had some problem solving questions, and also about my current experience.

Interview Questions
    I did some negotiation, and the hiring manager accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Glassdoor in August 2010.

Process consisted from phone interview and series of 1:1 interviews (about 5). It took 10 days from first contact till offer. People were friendly and were treating me as an expected guest :-) The office is located in 2 minutes from waterfront which is nice if you like to meditate on shore. Make sure you know something about their product and business before going to interview. That would be considered as a bonus.

Interview Questions
    • Describe you last project's architecture. Why did you chose this instead of this?   View Answer
    • What benefits and risks will we incur if we add forum to our product?   View Answer
    • What this piece javascript does (7 lines)? What about this one (1 page)?   View Answer
    I was satisfied with offered salary and medical coverage. It was good to know that i will get 401k. Negotiation was about options amount. It is good if you can calculate your percentage fast and estimate what you share would be in case of 1 billion (for instance) dollar company's valuation with adjustment for possible dilution. I didn't, so i had to get back to negotiations after initially saying "ok", which was embarrassing. But as a result i was able to increase stock option amount about 1.5 times!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sausalito, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Glassdoor in March 2010.

I applied for this job online, and several days later, I was contacted by the VP of Engineering to do a phone interview. It lasted about an hour and consisted of general information about the company and the position I was applying for, my background and work experience, and a technical conversation. The technical part included questions about stack implementation, dependency injection, mvc, design patterns and others. It was more technical than I thought it would be (usually phone interviews are not very techinical). Overall, the first interview went at a good pace, not too slowly and was not too intimidating. After the conversation, I felt like this position was a great fit for me.

Shortly after the phone interview, I was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site interview somewhat resembled the famous "Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing" from Joel on Software, but probably not as intense. It consisted of 4 technical one-on-one interviews. I interviewed with a Sr. Web Developer, Sr. Java Developer, CEO (also technical) and the VP of Engineering. Technical questions ranged from deciphering a couple pages of javascript code (front-end), questions about different SQL joins, Hibernate, performance and scalability (back-end), search and fault-tolerance algorithms (CEO), and overall system architecture and technology stack (VP). Each interviewer did a good job at balancing the technical part with personality questions, hobbies, interests and etc.

It was a long day, but everyone was so nice and friendly that I actually enjoyed interviewing. They made me feel very comfortable and gave me plenty of breaks, so it felt more like a professional discussion as opposed to technical interrogation. The CEO took the time to give me a good understanding of the company and where it was headed, which I really appreciated knowing how busy he must've been.

I went home with a good feeling about the team, company and how the interview went. A few days later, I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a stack. Explain different types of SQL Joins. Write a method to test for a palindrome. Write a method that efficiently compares 2 very large datasets   Answer Question
    During the on-site interview, I was asked about my salary expectations. When I received an offer, they matched my salary requirements which was great, but did not offer many stock options. So I sacrificed some salary for additional stock options (which is a good idea if you are working for a startup and believe in what they are doing). The negotiations took less than a day and I was happy to accept the final offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Glassdoor in February 2010.

You will get an email about interview, then you will get the second email about interview is not possible on confirmed date and asked to reschedule it. usual personality check i guess, but for some people it makes no difference,

Interview Questions
    • Questions about search engine since I had that background, how would you merge results from different sources, etc, only java   View Answer