Glassdoor

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sausalito, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was a great experience. It instantly shows the company culture and energy level of everyone you're going to be working with. After two initial technical phone screens I was invited on-site. It was a 4 hour interview with multiple technical interviewers and managers. Every interviewer I talked to was respectful and positive.

Interview Question – It was a technical question that required advanced knowledge of algorithms and data structures. I figured it out and was very proud of myself.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor.

Interview Details – Two rounds of phone interviews then on site.
One site questions include: implement hash table, how to implement load balancer, how to design features using existing data and how to implement a Resource pool. Unable to write good code for the Resource pool on site.

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Glassdoor.

Interview Details – There was a 30 minute phone interview and at the end of the 30 minute conversation, the interview said he approved me for the next round and since I was living out of state, he said he wanted to arrange a second phone interview before they could fly me in.

He promised to set up the second interview in the following day or two. But to my surprise, the interviewer sent me an email the next day saying, "they are moving forward to other candidates that matches their hiring needs".

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Glassdoor in February 2013.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview for about 45 mins. The interviewer asked various questions ondata structures.
Then they invited me for a face to face interview. The interview lasted for 5 hours with 5 different interviewers. Each of them had some problem solving questions, and also about my current experience.

Interview Question – Problem solving   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did some negotiation, and the hiring manager accepted.

Sausalito, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Glassdoor in August 2010.

Interview Details – Process consisted from phone interview and series of 1:1 interviews (about 5). It took 10 days from first contact till offer. People were friendly and were treating me as an expected guest :-) The office is located in 2 minutes from waterfront which is nice if you like to meditate on shore. Make sure you know something about their product and business before going to interview. That would be considered as a bonus.

Interview Questions

• Describe you last project's architecture. Why did you chose this instead of this?   View Answer
  • What benefits and risks will we incur if we add forum to our product?   View Answer
  • What this piece javascript does (7 lines)? What about this one (1 page)?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was satisfied with offered salary and medical coverage. It was good to know that i will get 401k. Negotiation was about options amount. It is good if you can calculate your percentage fast and estimate what you share would be in case of 1 billion (for instance) dollar company's valuation with adjustment for possible dilution. I didn't, so i had to get back to negotiations after initially saying "ok", which was embarrassing. But as a result i was able to increase stock option amount about 1.5 times!

Sausalito, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Glassdoor in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online, and several days later, I was contacted by the VP of Engineering to do a phone interview. It lasted about an hour and consisted of general information about the company and the position I was applying for, my background and work experience, and a technical conversation. The technical part included questions about stack implementation, dependency injection, mvc, design patterns and others. It was more technical than I thought it would be (usually phone interviews are not very techinical). Overall, the first interview went at a good pace, not too slowly and was not too intimidating. After the conversation, I felt like this position was a great fit for me.

Shortly after the phone interview, I was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site interview somewhat resembled the famous "Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing" from Joel on Software, but probably not as intense. It consisted of 4 technical one-on-one interviews. I interviewed with a Sr. Web Developer, Sr. Java Developer, CEO (also technical) and the VP of Engineering. Technical questions ranged from deciphering a couple pages of javascript code (front-end), questions about different SQL joins, Hibernate, performance and scalability (back-end), search and fault-tolerance algorithms (CEO), and overall system architecture and technology stack (VP). Each interviewer did a good job at balancing the technical part with personality questions, hobbies, interests and etc.

It was a long day, but everyone was so nice and friendly that I actually enjoyed interviewing. They made me feel very comfortable and gave me plenty of breaks, so it felt more like a professional discussion as opposed to technical interrogation. The CEO took the time to give me a good understanding of the company and where it was headed, which I really appreciated knowing how busy he must've been.

I went home with a good feeling about the team, company and how the interview went. A few days later, I received an offer.

Interview Question – Implement a stack. Explain different types of SQL Joins. Write a method to test for a palindrome. Write a method that efficiently compares 2 very large datasets   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – During the on-site interview, I was asked about my salary expectations. When I received an offer, they matched my salary requirements which was great, but did not offer many stock options. So I sacrificed some salary for additional stock options (which is a good idea if you are working for a startup and believe in what they are doing). The negotiations took less than a day and I was happy to accept the final offer.

Senior Software Engineer

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Glassdoor in February 2010.

Interview Details – You will get an email about interview, then you will get the second email about interview is not possible on confirmed date and asked to reschedule it. usual personality check i guess, but for some people it makes no difference,

Interview Question – Questions about search engine since I had that background, how would you merge results from different sources, etc, only java   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Glassdoor

Worked for Glassdoor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor Videos

Glassdoor – Why Work for Us?

Do you believe that work matters? We do. In fact, we obsess over helping people find jobs that are the right fit for them. BECAUSE WHERE YOU WORK MATTERS! Our mission is to become the world’s largest and most trusted… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Glassdoor employees and interview candidates.